What's new

Im looking for new receiver (1 Viewer)

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Im in the market for a new receiver, budget is no more than $2500.

I currently have a Rotel RSX-1055(preamp)and 7 channels of Rotel amps(RB1070 and 985mkII). I use Klipsch speakers and SVS subs. The Rotel equipment will be sold to help finance the receiver.

I'm trying to cut down on the number of electronics as space is becoming tighter. We have 2 young children and priorities are changing. So please stay to the topic of receivers. Im currently just using the 1055 in a 5.1 setup, I plan on running a 7.1 system.

I am looking at the following receivers:

Rotel RSX-1067($2199)
Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi($1500)
B&K 307

Anyone here using any of these receivers? Any other receivers to recommend.
If I go with the Pioneer I may be able to get one of the Pioneer universal players with I-link.

Im partial to the Rotel, as I currently am using it. ANyone know if the DACS and processers in the 1067 are comparable to the 1068 preamp or closer to the 1055?

I've heard great things about the B&K receivers.

TIA

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, I dont have any experience with the rcvr's you have chosen, however, I would be strongly swayed towards a rcvr with auto calibration and eq. Denon 3805, the Pioneer 56txi.

Regards, Tom

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Tom

The auto calibration feature is a major plus for the 56txi. I wish the Rotel 1067 offered it.

Do you use a receiver with auto calibraion? What are your thoughts?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Earle,

I have the 54TX. I love the auto calibration/EQ feature. Prior to the Elite, I had loved my Yamaha. However, the Pioneer - in terms of features, sound, etc. are winning me over.

If you go with the 56TXi, you should be able to locate one from an authorized source for below the price you listed. You would then have $1,300 or so left over in your budget of $2,500 to add a separate power amp, if desired.

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator
I hope that auto calibration will become as common as dd and dts. I am sold on its merits. ask your dealer if you can bring one home for a weekend to test. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Regards, Tom

eddieZEN

Second Unit
Hm, I have no direct personal experience with this but I thought that using an SPL meter is always much more accurate than auto-calibration?

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator
I recently set up a pio 1014, with canton speakers. The auto setup/eq worked well. The eq portion takes into account reflections and room resonances and basically flattens the room response, (within reason), the spl's from the auto setup feature matched my spl meter. For me this is the icing on the cake. Now if only more manufacturers would jump on board - like rotel, nad, anthem.

Regards, Tom.

PS. EarleD, would you be interested in the rsp 1068 processor?

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Tom

Not interested in the 1068. I really want to go with a receiver.

The 56txi is starting to sound like a good option. While ILink and Auto calibration/EQ are not deal makers or breakers, they definalty make the choice harder to make.

Tom D

Stunt Coordinator
The pioneer looks impressive on paper, keep us posted on your progress. Enjoy. Regards, Tom.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
Well, I found my new reciever. Its a B&K 507. This reciever is awesome.

i've had it for a few days now and am starting to learn how to use it. Its not the easiest receiver to setup, but with the manual and a few hours I think Im pretty close to finished. I just need to play with the notch filter.

Sound wise Im very impressed. definitely not a downgrade in sound compared to my old Rotel setup. IT might even sound better.

More to come...

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Earle,

Last year I decided to simplify and downsize like you are doing. I was running an Outlaw 950 with a Sherwood 5 channel amp and a H/K two channel amp in a 7.1 configuration. I went to an old first generation middle-of-the-road 5.1 DD only receiver from 1997. I don't regret it for a second. My advice: go even lower in your target price and try to find used gear. You won't miss all the bells and whistles and your system will be much easier to manage.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks