Im Looking For An AMP

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Allen Marshall, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

ok i have a Yamaha HTR-5640, it says its 105x6 on the reciever but somebody told me it was 75x6, even though i have a 5.1 setup...well...5.0 right now i want to get an amp that can handle 8.1 that, obviously, gives more power then my reciever does. I've never looked into amps and this will be my first one so i was wondering if people could suggest an amp for 8.1 with $1,200 as budget.

Thanks

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Allen,

Don’t know where you got the 105 watt/channel figure; Yamaha’s website says it has 75 watts/channel:

http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi...R00010HTR-5640

It’s not quite clear what you’re trying to do. Are you trying to use an outboard amp for all channels? If so, you’ll have to have pre-amp outputs for all channels, and I doubt this model does.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

Not sure about 8.1. Is that a height or front effects channel?

4. Allen Marshall

i dont know what outboard means, i just want an amp that can handle all my channels, well 8 channel amp i mean, and it says 105x6 on the front of the reciever, thats where i got it. i dont know anything about amps

5. Allen Marshall

are you saying i cant get an amp with this reciever?

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

7. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

Allen,
    The first upgrade I would suggest is getting a subwoofer, the .1 part of a 5.1 sound system. I'm guessing you are interested in sufficient power for 8 channels because there is another Yamaha receiver, not the one you currently own, that supports 8 channels--two main, one center, two front effects, two surrounds, and one back. Yamaha is the only receiver manufacturer I know of that uses this type of system, and you'd have to own something like the RX-Z1 receiver for that. The RX-Z1 has an unusually robust power supply for a receiver and consequently has plenty of amplifier power by itself though.

If you currently have $1200 to spend on an upgrade, you can find an excellent subwoofer to integrate into your system and run your existing 5 speakers on small settings to redirect bass frequencies to the subwoofer. You'd considerably relieve your existing receiver's current demands by doing this and may find you have no need for more amplifier power. Of course as Wayne says above, if your current receiver doesn't have pre-outs and you bought a separate amplifier you'd have more amplification but no ability to use it.

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

That seems like a prudent course of action.

9. Allen Marshall

it looks like it's got those pre-out things on hte back, alright lets just trash the 8.1 thing, what kind of amp should i get, one that sends power to center, rears and fronts????

10. Allen Marshall

you know what, i think first and formost, im gonna get a new reciever, a powerful one, and worry about this amp thing later

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I sense a bit of frustration upon your part and perhaps that comes from our not understanding what it is that you really feel or know that is lacking. However, I also have the impression that you're somewhat unfamiliar with audio components in general and what can and can't be done.
    Allen, far be it from me to tell you how to spend your money. Consider though that you've previously stated that you don't have a sub. Now if you're into HT and want to get the full experience, the first place you ought to be looking is to round out your speakers by getting a sub. What sub will depend upon your tastes, funds, room size, style, etc. and as Mark correctly stated that's what you ought to be thinking about. Then, by setting your speakers to 'small', you can alleviate some of the strain on your present receiver by directing the low frequencies to the sub and letting its amp deal with them.
    Now you may yet need more juice and if so you can consider a 3-channel amp or 3 monoblocks to handle your fronts and center while allowing your receiver to handle the rest. If it turns out your receiver is lacking in some kind of features that you think are important, then that's another matter entirely.
    If you don't have a calibration disk and the old faithful Radio Shack SPL meter, then you owe yourself a trip to pick them up. A modest investment that you'll use more than you think and it'll help you get more out of what you have.
    Just going out and buying a more 'powerful' receiver is not such an easy task as one might think. It's not just a matter of looking at the power ratings and choosing the most powerful. You see, there are no FCC regulations for specifying power when one is looking at all channels being driven. Hence, some manufacturers shave matters...sometimes quite a bit. Other's post conservative numbers. Then there's the matter of what the impedance of your speakers are. If they're 4 ohm nominal, then you want to look at receivers (and amps for that matter) that specifically state that they can drive that load. Otherwise you run into situations where the amp or receiver runs out of gas.
    There's far more to say, but IMHO, you're focussing in the wrong area.

12. Andy_A

Andy_A Second Unit

Welcome to the Home Theater Forum and be sure to check out the newcomer's FAQ. You will find it very enlightening.