I'm looking for a TV show from around 1980 that had a young Jim Carey and Kramer from

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Paul Sutt, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Paul Sutt

Paul Sutt Auditioning

Sienfeld(Can't think of his name) called "Fridays". It was a spin off of SNL.

Can I get it anywhere, DVD?

2. Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia Screenwriter

I remember that show. In alot of ways it was better than Saturday Night Live. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any news of any DVDs to be released of the show anytime soon, or else I'd be on the waiting list. I was a fan of its original run. I don't remember Jim Carrey in it though, wasn't he on "In Living Color"? It was Michael Richards (Kramer from Seinfeld) who I remember on Fridays as playing the kid with the toy soldiers, and the cool skinny guy with the "V" shape, working out with all the beefcakes. I remember the great Three Stooges sketches, and the Ronald Reagan spoofs. It was really a funny show, I too hope it eventually gets released. I'll be waiting.

3. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Fridays was great. William Shatner was on once. He kept flipping open his wallet to talk to Spock and complained that everyone thought he was some actor named William Shatner.

Who can forget the Drugged up pharmacist??

Where is this show?????

4. Matthew Green

Matthew Green Stunt Coordinator

They can't even release Saturday Night live on DVD so I doubt this show will be out...

And for those that collect the "Best of SNL" DVD's, I am talking about season sets...That's the ONLY way I would buy SNL on DVD...

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    fridays was not a spin off of snl.
    it was on a different network (abc).
    i cant rmember if it was live or not.

it was alot like what madtv is now and in living color was a few years ago.

there was a guest host and a musical host.

hopefully someone with the correct info can relate the entire story of how andy kaufman fooled the cast when he stopped a skit right in the middle of the skit.

6. rockinricky

rockinricky Stunt Coordinator

I still remember when REO Speedwagon was on Fridays, when they released the Hi Infidelity album. During rehearsals, the announcer kept mispronouncing the band's name, saying "REO" as though it was the word "Rio", and the band corrected him. Come the live broadcast, the band was announced as "REO Speedway"

7. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Jim Carrey wouldn't have been on the show; I think you are thinking of Carrey's turn as Andy Kaufman in "Man On the Moon". Kaufman guest starred on "Fridays" most infamous episode, an event which was portrayed in the Kaufman biopic. Carrey was on that show -- was it "Duck Factory"? I think he was a cartoonist of some sort. Re-runs managed to make it to the air on Comedy Central after Carrey's star began to rise in the '90s.

8. Paul Sutt

Paul Sutt Auditioning

Yeah, Michael Richards. That was one of my favorite skits, his sister, cousine or neibor would come over with their Barby dolls and vehicle and he'd just bomb and burn them.

I too at the time liked the show more than SNL.

Wait, was "Fireman Bob" (I think it's Bob), Jim Carey's characdter on In Living Color or was it "Fridays"?

I want this show! [​IMG]

9. JamesED

JamesED Second Unit

Firemarshall Bill I think, and it was In Living Color.

10. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    jim carrey was never on fridays.

11. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

In fact, Carrey and Richards have never worked together. Carrey was only 18 when Fridays went on the air - old enough to be on the show, I suppose, but awfully young...

12. Linda Thompson

Linda Thompson Supporting Actor

13. LizH

LizH Second Unit

I doubt we'll ever see season sets. [​IMG]

"Saturday Night Live" has a band. As performers appearing on the show, they're entitled to compensation for their appearance. That said, union rules stipulate that they're entitled to royalties stemming from a DVD release of season sets.

When you think about all the personnel changes the SNL band has seen over 30+ years, the royalties issue becomes an administrative nightmare. [​IMG]

It's for this reason we'll never see season sets of "The Carol Burnett Show" released on DVD (They had a full ORCHESTRA! [​IMG] )

14. Joshua_W

Joshua_W Second Unit

I remember this show, too.

Didn't Michael Richards (or was it someone else?) stick his hand up the back of a chicken (a cleaned, ready-to-cook chicken, not a whole live one) and make it dance?

When you're eight years old, that's high comedy...

15. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

If I recall correctly, Bruce Mahler performed the sketchs with the chicken, he was also the Hispanic DJ ( La musica de B52's ).

Michael Richards' Battle Boy was a fun character ( who played army and used to mutilate his sister's toys. ) Perhaps one of the inspirations for Sid in Toy Story?

- Walter.

16. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    Is that the one with a live action Pac-Man pilot as a sketch?

17. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

great musical guests on that show. the clash performed four, four!!! songs when they were on. plus had the jam, king crimson, can't remember who all else.

michael richard's battle boy was a riot, but he also had a coupel other memorable characters, the skinny guy, and in drag as some "dame edna"-type hob-nobbing at ritzy events, "oh helloooo, how arrrre you?"

and the hands up the chicken thing was fall on the floor funny.

18. LeonaB

LeonaB Stunt Coordinator

Don't forget another famous alumni of FRIDAYS...Larry David. He had big hair in those days [​IMG]

19. Paul Sutt

Paul Sutt Auditioning

This has turned out to be a fun thread, you've all brought back some great memories from the show.

Fridays made me laugh so hard I cried, it sucks we can't watch them again. [​IMG]

A friend of mine has ALL SNL's on VHS tapes and now he does it to DVD. He has them in a big box and going through them is fun, pulling out a few to watch. He has the descriptions and musical guest(s).

Great music too from when Pearl Jam was good to the 10,000 Maniacs, just great stuff.

20. Paul Sutt

Paul Sutt Auditioning

This has turned out to be a fun thread, you've all brought back some great memories from the show.

Fridays made me laugh so hard I cried, it sucks we can't watch them again. [​IMG]

A friend of mine has ALL SNL's on VHS tapes and now he does it to DVD. He has them in a big box and going through them is fun, pulling out a few to watch. He has the descriptions, guest and musical guest(s)listed.

Great music too from when Pearl Jam was good to the 10,000 Maniacs, just great stuff.