Im looking for a complete system in the $1000 range

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Hawl, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Daniel Hawl

Daniel Hawl Agent

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I am currently looking for a 5.1 system with a receiver in the $1000 range. I understand that I'm a bit limited since I'm not looking to spend much, but there are a few choices that seem to stand out in reviews/comments.

So far in the running I have:

Klipsch Synergy 6 - I like this system and have always respected klipsch. I think this system is near $1000 by itself and would therefor be a bit over my limit with a decent receiver, so I assume I'd skimp a bit on that part if I bought these speakers.

Energy Take 5.2 - I'd need to buy a sub and a receiver, so I probably would skimp on both a bit to get under $1000, but like the klipsch, i love how these sound.

Cambridge Soundworks Newton Theater 200.2 - With online coupons this comes out to around $1000 with a Marantz SR4300 receiver. For about $150 I could step up to the 200 and get a Sony STR-DE885 receiver and p500 dual 8" sub. Looks good to me and I have never had a problem with my cambridge speakers or their great warranty/trial program.

Any other suggestions or oppinions on the setups I have already mentioned? Thanks!

2. David Sorenson

David Sorenson Stunt Coordinator

My friend is just buying a system that had an original budget of $1000. He was also needing the 5.1 speaker system and receiver. After looking at many HTIB he decided that they were all pretty poor. We were lucky to run across the Athena speakers at Video Only so we could actually listen to them. They were quite nice. I cannot compare them against the sets you've listed but for the price I thought they were good. The series to look at is the .5 series, though he is going with a velodyne CHT-10 sub rather than the Athena sub.

For the amplifier he's going with the Yamaha 5560, which is what he heard. I'm sure there are many other amps out there that would work in the price range but he and his wife were happy with that. The overall cost, excluding wires and such, was $1169.

If you have a Video Only nearby you might want to go take a listen to them for comparison.

3. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

If I were in your shoes, this is what
    I would probably go for:

JBL NSP1 speaker set - ~$250
    Onkyo SR600 receiver - ~$350-400
    JBL PB12 . . . . . . - ~$250
    total . . . . . . . .- ~$850-900 + shipping/tax

You could probably do even better on some of those
    items if you looked hard enough. And, of course,
    some of those items might not suit your personal
    tastes, so substituting something similar from
    another manufacturer is always an option.
    One option you might want to consider is to
    get the receiver and main now with your available
    cash, and then add to the system as funds allow.
    For instance:

Sony DA4ES receiver - ~$650
    JBL S36 speakers . .- ~$250
    total . . . . . . . - ~$900

And then add an SCenter, a pair of S38's, and
    a subwoofer later on down the line. There's
    many other ways to play this game, depending
    on what your primary uses and priorities are.
    This way you'll end up with a much nicer system,
    but it may take you awhile to get there...
    Oh, and I'd personally avoid all Sony receivers
    in the 'DE' line... Just personal preference [​IMG]
    Happy shopping [​IMG]
    -- Dave
    PS. Getting those stupid tables to line up is just
    such a pain.... why must it contract spaces?

4. Daniel Hawl

Daniel Hawl Agent

why exactly would you avoid the DE line of Sony receivers? What about the Marantz?

I know it makes me looks stupid and childish, but I suffer greatly from the need for immediate gratification, hence wanting everything 'now now now.' I can't see myself spending more than $1000 on speakers and a reciever, even though that might be chump change for such things to many others.

Are there any problems with the cambridge setup I proposed? I do like the fact that I can buy a more expensive system than a normally would simply because of the 20% off codes, which luckily also apply to the non-cambridge recievers when bought in a package such as this. Also their $1449 package, which would come out to roughly $1225 with taxes after rebate, includes a $700 sub and $400 amp, not to mention another $800 or so in speakers.

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

The DE series is known for having very crummy build quality. I've heard many horror stories of units going bad. If you're going Sony, it's best to stick to the DB or the ES lines, which may be out of your price-range. I auditioned the Marantz SR4300, and it seemed like a pretty good unit.

6. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

Ascend Acoustic(ascendacoustic.com) is a good place to check out. If you get CBM-170's front L/R and the HTM-200's as center and surrounds it comes in around $650 or HTM-200's all around for $600. Get the partsexpress.com DLS10 sub for $100. Then go to accessories4less.com and buy a Marantz refurb. The 4200 is $290 and the 5200 is $350. The extra watts of the 5200 is worth it IMO if you can stretch the budget. It sometimes takes patience with Accessories4less since they don't always have refurbs in for a particular model. I have CBM-170's across the front $690 and they absolutely blow away my previous Paradigm Mini Monitors and Atoms. I'm running these with a Marantz SR7200.
    Check out Ascend reviews on audioreview.com, Cheaphometheater.com, and the last issue of the $ensible Sound.[​IMG]

7. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I second the vote for the JBL N-Series as the budget entry level speakers, assuming you don't want used. I would recommend a modified Sony or AudioSource sub as well. This leaves about $500 for an AVR and with this I'd recommend either a Denon 1803, Denon 2802 (used), or an Outlaw 1050.

8. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

I would also recommend the JBL N-Series. I have a friend that just bought his first setup and put it together with the NSP1 and the Panny HE200 receiver. I was impressed with the value he got for the money.