What's new

I'm looking for: a 5-disc dvd changer with progressive scan, no chroma bug, and ... (1 Viewer)

Phil L

Supporting Actor
disc position memory.

Does this exist, or more aptly is this going to exist in either the Panasonic or Sony models coming out in July?

I've been looking at the Sony DVP-NC655P but I don't know if it will have the chroma bug or disc position memory.

It doesn't make much sense to me to have a changer without disc position memory because I'd have to go through the forced intros to get to the content.

Are the differences between the Panasonic CP67 and CP72 just that the CP72 does DVD-A?

Are the CP67 and CP72 just changer versions of the RP62 and RP82 or are they made from different components?

Also all the Panasonics are 54MHz/10 bit vs. the Sony changer which is 108MHz/12 bit, but the Panasonics have the Faroudja chip. Do these things come up even or might there likely be a noticeable visual difference between the two?

Phil

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Phil, I haven't read up on the new Panasonic DVD changers. However, I imagine that if they have the Faroudja chip, they won't show the chroma bug. Sony's progressive-scan players released thus far have shown it, so the 'NC655P may as well. As for a 54-MHz video DAC versus a 108-MHz video DAC, I imagine the ability to see a difference will depend on the display you are using. I would be hesitant to say that there are hard and fast rules.
The Kenwood Sovereign DV-5700 progressive-scan DVD-Audio changer doesn't show the chroma bug. It is $800, however. I don't know if it has the disc position memory feature you are looking for. For more information on the '5700, see:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...DV5700&o=m&a=0

Richard_s

Second Unit
I am in the market for a progressive scan DVD player but only need a single. What is this "chroma bug" I ahte to buy a new unit and have to return it?

Thanks

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Richard, the "chroma bug" or "chroma upsampling error" has been discussed here ad nauseum. Do a search for more information.

Two single-disc progressive-scan players that do not show the chroma bug are the Panasonic DVD-RP91 (around $450-500 from authorized, discount mail-order dealers) and the Denon DVD-1600 ($500 from Crutchfield and brick-and-mortar stores). Both players are compatible with the DVD-Audio format.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Richard,
This is the definitive text on chroma bug:
Link Removed
Phil,
The Kenwood DV-5700 handles all but (I think) the Disc Position memory. Supposed to be selling around the US$800 mark, which is a nice reduction from its introductory price (US$1200). It's a very good video player, with good DVD-a quality thrown in. Downside is that the mechanism is slow, and some layer changes are on the long side.
Keith,
Panasonic MPEG decoders have no chroma bug. The Faroudja hiding chroma bug is true -- in Panasonic based players its irrelevant.
Regards,

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, thanks for the clarification. I need to brush up on the progressive-scan hardware a bit more. I'm more of an audio guy, and I haven't researched progressive-scan technology thoroughly since I have not yet thought about getting an HDTV. I need the knowledge!

I also appreciate the "definitive" link on the chroma bug as well as the information on the layer change on the Kenwood '5700.

Matt Broeska

Stunt Coordinator
phil... back when i was looking at players i was considering a 5 disc-er. both the marantz and nad 5 disc progressive players don't have the chroma bug and i believe have position memory.

it's my understanding that the nad has better audio components and i think is a little bit pricier.

the downside with the 2 players i found is that they have very slow transports and take a little longer to power on and load discs than normal single disc players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks