What's new

I'm listening to Little Feat (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
One of the bands I've been wanting to get into for a while is Little Feat and finally dived in.

My first album was Dixie Chicken. I like it- the lazy, lilting New Orleans twang, easy funk. Very easy on the soul- the songs themselves aren't as memorable as just the process of listening to them. It's great music to just have on in your pad while hangin' out.

Then I got the live Waiting For Columbus. I haven't yet listened to the bonus tracks, just up until the original album ended. It's pretty cool- some good musicians on that thing. The only song I was really familiar with is Willin' because it's been covered so much. I like the live version here, where the verses are spoken and the group singing on the chorus. The track Dixie Chicken, extended here, is more exciting than the studio version.

Now I'm on my second listen to their very first album. Very different, quirky character. I don't really like this acoustic version of Willin'. The first few cuts are all really nice, though.

All in all a nice, Dr John feeling.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Mike,

I've been a Feat fan for a long time, turned on in my college days. haven't listened to them much in recent years, but you didn't go wrong with Waiting for Columbus. The section starting with Time Loves a Hero and ending with Spanish Moon is an A+ experience, IMO.

Not sure what else to recommend at this time, as WFC has a good slice of their definitive stuff (and I tend to like these live versions better). I'm not a big Dixie Chicken fan, FWIW. I tend to think that the album Sailing Shoes is generally underappreciated. I listened to it a lot in the past (esp in my vinyl years), but the CD I have is poor quality that shows up on my recent system (worse than the other Feat CDs). Amazon lists the 70's CDs with a 1990 pressing, but I don't recall if there was a previous pressing for any of them (probably not, but I'll look tonight).

Have fun.

Doug

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
i have 'em all. the recordings ARE a little flat. the waiting for columbus remaster sounds great, though. (rock-n-roll dr., in the bonus tracks, is an awesome inclusion.) their studio albums pale in comparison to the live stuff, anyway. the live performance, just as it was for the grateful dead, was what feat was ALL about.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I think WFC is their best album as well. The latest remaster seems to unshuffle the live track to their original order.

I do have the vinyl Nautilus pressing of Time Loves A Hero and it is their best studio transfer I've ever heard. Generally, their studio pressings are a little flat.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Mike, if you like I'M WILLIN', try Seatrain's cover with Richard Greene on E-lectric fiddle. Accept no phony substitutes!

MatS

Screenwriter
well since this is a dvd forum I guess it wouldn't hurt to mention the following

Bill Payne -- keyboards, vocals (1969-present)
Paul Barrere – guitar, vocals (1972-present)
Shaun Murphy – vocals, percussion (1993-present)
Sam Clayton – percussion, vocals (1972-present)
Kenny Gradney – bass, vocals (1972-present)
Richie Hayward – drums, vocals (1969-present)
Fred Tackett – guitar, mandolin, trumpet, vocals (1988-present)

TRACK LISTING:
Time Loves A Hero
Day Or Night
Cadillac Hotel
Spanish Moon
Skin It Back
Voices On The Wind
Cajun Girl
Night On The Town
I'd Be Lyin
The Blues Don’t Tell It All
Old Folks Boogie
Oh Atlanta
Dixie Chicken
Tripe Face Boogie
Fatman In The Bathtub
Let It Roll
Willin
Feets Don’t Fail Me Now
Time Loves A Hero (redo)

Bonus Features:
Photo Gallery
Discography
2 live tracks from Montreux
Documentary: "Little Feat Close Up In St. Louis"

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
So they're still around? Or they reunited.

I'm listening to Columbus again and you folks are way right, the live is definitely much better than the studio. The fuller arrangements and the bigger instrumentation fit the music much better.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
INHD'S been showing the highwire act video in HD the last few weeks btw[but no 5.1]

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Bump.

Mike they reunited with 1988's Let It Roll. (As is typical for any project on which George Massenburg engineered, the SQ will knock your socks off.)

Just got the WFC re-release and am still getting into it.

Can anyone comment on the Hotcakes and Outtakes LF box set?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Big LF fan here too. But I also feel WFC is their best album, so it may be downhill from there for you.

I was supposed to see them amonth or so ago but a storm hit and knocked out all the power for one block in each direction of the hall. I was travelling on the rescheduled date. Oh well

Give them a few more listens. A lot of the lyrics are double entendres, which ratchets the memorability a notch. "Fat man, in the bathtub, with the blues ..." Love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks