I'm Liking SACD!!!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Derek Baker, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Derek Baker

Derek Baker Stunt Coordinator

Up until recently the only SACD i had was Mariah Carey '#1's'...very ordinary 2 ch mix which sounds more like an average remastered redbook than anything else.

Getting all the airtime on my system were DVD-A titles like Donald Fagen's 'The Nightfly' & Fleetwood's 'Rumours' as they are great albums both sonically and content-wise.

Yesterday just received my first shipment of SACD's from amazon; DSOTM, Norah & the Stones' 'Get Yer Ya's Ya's Out'.

What can i say...the mixes on these titles has blown me away - amazing stuff. The sonics of the Stones disc is magic for a 40yo recording, Norah sounds incredible and DSOTM has me in awe (never heard this album in full before - that's another post altogether!)

I'll stop rambling by saying that SACD has won me over for now with these titles showing me what it's capable of...and being able to play them in the car with great redbook sound is really sweet!

I think 'Rumours' may have to collect dust for a while...

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Derek, glad to hear of another satisfied SACD adopter. [​IMG] I don't have that particular Stones title, but I have been very impressed with the few I do have. Furthermore, I have been very pleased with the Norah Jones SACD. I already had the CD for months, so I knew the music. However, the sound quality of the SACD is stunning. Despite all of this, I still listen to DVD-Audio discs quite a bit, including Rumours. I finally got The Nightfly last night, and it is outstanding. [​IMG]

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Derek, if you think GEY YER YA-YA'S OUT sounds good, try LET IT BLEED, or The Zombies Greatest Hits, or one of The Kinks Mobile Fidelity releaseses. You might shite your pants on some of the DSD recorded discs?[​IMG] Go check out Acoustic Sounds site. They have a list of all the DSD recorded discs that they stock. www.acousticsounds.com Best wishes weedhopper![​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have to admit something too. When I first got some SACDs, I thought yeah OK, I can't tell the difference between these and a well mastered CD. But the more I listen to them, they actually do come a lot closer to lp. Mostly just a lot more openness in the high frequencies.

I just thought of something too. For people who grew up with CD vs lp, man, they might not even be aware of what they are missing...

5. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

6. LawrenceK

LawrenceK Stunt Coordinator

I grew up with CD...and have recently begun getting into vinyl. Lots of fun. Hard to find a lot of titles I want though. [​IMG]

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Lawrence, try www.gemm.com . Best place I've found to get used vinyl. Ebay is OK, but most people overestimate how good of shape their records are in.