I'm legal!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianB, Dec 16, 2002.

1. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Had to share:

After six months' delay & a bunch of paperwork, I had my final interview with the INS in relation to my I-751... Interview went smoothly & I'm now officially a permanent resident of the USA. Woohoo!

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Congratulations Brian.[​IMG]

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

What country did you flee from? [​IMG]
    For a moment, I thought you were legal in that other sense. [​IMG]

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Scotland. It's taken about two & a half years to get to this stage, a couple of big interviews, a bunch of medical tests, immunisations, a WHOLE bunch of paperwork, numerous trans-Atlantic phonecalls, lots of trips back & forth, and, of course, a wedding to my lovely American-born wife [​IMG]

5. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Not to pry, what kind of immunizations do you have to get that you don't get in Scotland? It's not like you came from a third world country or anything.

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I actually already had all the immunisations - I got a couple of booster shots before I left Scotland just to be sure, and got the relevant paperwork.

Had to prove I had my shots before I could get my medical done down in London on the day of my BIG interview for my initial visa. Fun, fun, fun. Chest Xrays etc, blood tests etc.

The current list of vaccinations needed is:

7. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I thought marriage helped out more in getting permant residency. Does that just guarantee you a visa now or something? I got some friends from India going through the whole mess right now. It seems like its a major headache.

8. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

The INS needs to make sure the marriage is "real", instead of a deal. You have to appear to be in love or something... Just to make sure, you should get caught having sex right there in the waiting room/interview room/whatever [​IMG].
    There a gazillions of people of there who pay US citizens (residents?) to marry them. Check out the movie Green Card with Andie McDowell and Gerard Depardieu.
    --
    Holadem

9. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Congratulations Brian! Only 6 months? It took my wife 3 years to get her citizenship after she passed the test. There's a bunch of idiots working for the INS. We had to go on a letter writing campaign just to get them to process her paperwork and do their jobs. [​IMG] It was a huge mess.

10. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Isn't Haggis still a communicable disease in Scotland? [​IMG]

11. Trey Fletcher

Trey Fletcher Second Unit

Tim,
    In post #4, Brian remarked:

12. Keith Mickunas

Well I've seen sitcoms and movies that deal with this, and then there's the mail order bride business, but how does it work? What part of the process does marriage do for you then? Does it allow you to get a different visa than the H-1 that allows you more freedom to move jobs and such?

13. BrianB

BrianB Producer

14. Keith Mickunas

Sounds like a complex, annoying, typical bureaucratic process. Congrats on making it this far. Are you going to go for citizenship now?

So since we're on the subject, what happens when people come here on a student or work visa and then meet someone? Can they get married with that or do they apply for the K-1 first? Also, what would have happened if you had wanted to get married in Scotland? Would it have made much difference?

15. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I can't apply for citizenship until Summer 2003 - basically 3 years after my arrival. At this point, I really don't know. I haven't given it any consideration. A lot depends on how easily I can keep my British passport etc.

If you're on a student/work visa & marry a US citizen in the US, you have to go through a similiar process, same with if we married in Scotland & THEN applied to move to the US. There's a different visa in each of those situations, and in those cases, it's generally thought that the INS is a little tougher - K1 seems to be their preferred visa for US/non-US marriage. It definitely would have made a difference - a workmate of my wife did that and is still trying to get her husband into the country permanently a year later.

Since 9-11, the INS has been very tough on a lot of engaged couples out there - a lot of embassies around the world aren't issuing any visas for these sort of sitations.

16. Dave Smith

Dave Smith Stunt Coordinator

Congrats Brian, though I'm jealous. I've been in the US for over 5 years, and am still YEARS away from my green card. I was married before I arrived here so that route isn't open to me.

I work with several other British people who've married American citizens while here on a work visa, and none have had any problems getting their green cards.

Dave

17. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

My wife has been in the US since around 1982 so she already had her green card. The 3 years was just to get citizenship, which they say on the papers is supposed to take 90 days.

I advise anyone who's dealing with the INS to constantly harass them until the process is done. If you don't, they will conveniently "lose" your paperwork or screw something up in another way. We ended up having to write to a local congressman in order to find out what was going on and getting the process started again.

18. Bob Movies

Bob Movies Stunt Coordinator

A question for Dave Smith... Dave, if you don't have a Green Card, how are you allowed to work in the USA? This thread is very interesting, as the whole process is very complicated!

Bob

19. Karl_O

Karl_O Stunt Coordinator

This is just my casual observation, but I am surprised by the numbers of posters on this forum who were born in Canada or the United Kingdom now living in the United States, either becoming resident aliens or becoming citizens. Canadians and Britons do not represent the majority of immigrants that now come to the country, but they are very well-represented here on this forum. Once again, this is just my casual observation and not based on forum statistics.

20. Dave Smith

Dave Smith Stunt Coordinator

Bob,

I'm from England originally. I'm on an H-1B visa, to qualify for that you need a college degree or equivalent experience in the field (which for my job, computer programming, was 7 years I think, I've got the degree though).

The H1-B visa is only valid for a maximum of 6 years though, and I'm in my final year. Luckily a new bill was passed recently which allows the visa to be extended year-on-year if a labor certification application has been submitted (which is the first step to permanent residency).

Immigration into the US is a slow and complex affair. I'm committed to staying here though, I love the place and have already bought a house here. One day I'll get that green card or die trying!