What's new

I'm in the process of watching Legally Blonde and... (1 Viewer)

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
...I find that it's not quite unlike the oh-so-pleasant feeling of shaving my scrotum with a rusty & dull butter knife!

I've made it about 10 minutes into the movie, and I'm seriously contemplating turning it off, and using the disc as a poop-scoop for my neighbours dog. Dear lord, what an excruciating experience! Who makes these things?!?!

The pretentious and materialistic tones aside, the scariest part of all this is that, no matter how far fetched the movie is trying to be, I actually know (and have dated) some girls who behave like the ones in this film! Fact is sometimes scarier than fiction can ever be.

This film came highly recommended as a light-hearted comedy by a couple of friends, and has turned into one those rare occasions where I'm tempted to not finish watching a film. It's also shown me not to trust certain peoples' opinion when it comes to quality film.

Blech! This movie should be disbarred! :thumbsdown:

Moe.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

Don't judge it prematurely or anything. This must be the first thread discussing the short comings of a film while it is in progress.

I'm a fan of the first one, light hearted fare that had some funny moments. The second one is awful, don't even bother.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Moe, I'm not sure what to say. It's just a silly flick. Mostly a vehicle for Reese Witherspoon to undermine any dramatic legitimacy she actually deserves.

Pretentious and materialistic tones? It seems to me it is poking fun at pretention and materialism. Of course there are girls like that. I think that is part of the point.

I suggest you unclench and have a little fun with it.

Seriously, just laugh a little.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
As already been noted, the film is not to be taken seriously. And there is definitely nothing pretentious or materialistic tones about it or otherwise.

~Edwin

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Good God... Whatever you do, DO NOT WATCH THE SEQUEL!!!

Given your dislike of the first, somewhat tolerable film, I fear you may spontaneously combust.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor

It was her performance in Blonde that made me search for her other works. Rare is an actor/actress that can do drama and comedy well. This movie was a lot of fun only because of her performance.

I enjoyed much more than Meet the Parents, and American Wedding . And I did skip LBII.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think you misunderstood me. I think Reese has tremendous dramatic skill, as I meant to imply in my original post. The result of this movie is that if you mention how good an actress she is to 10 people, 9 of them will probably think you're a little nuts. I think her performance in The Man in the Moon is one of the best of all time.

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Ok, so I stand partially corrected.

After reading some of the comments here I decided to "suck it up" and continue with the film. The painful film moments continued for a short while longer, at which point the character seemed to pull a 180, grew a brain, and broke through the pretentious-materialistic-socal-Malibu-Barby'ish image.

For me, the saving grace for the movie started
when Elle finally realizes that her x-boyfriend thinks she'll never be good enough for him.
At that point, I no longer felt the need to hide under the bed out of sympathetic embarassment for the main character, and I actually developed an interest for the story.

From that point on the movie was enjoyable, cute, and fun... if not a little predictable while sometimes briefly reverting to the annoying "so, like, whatever!" attitude present at the beginning of the film. I think the biggest issue for me was that the story wasn't so much making fun of that spoiled-rich-sorority-girl image as it was basking in it. The latter empowerment of the character however saved it from a complete crash & burn. In all, I guess I'd give it a 2.5/4 rating.

I think I'll steer clear of the sequel though. From what I'm hearing, I don't think I could survive it. ;)

Moe.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Legally Blond wasnt bad!!! I would give it a 2.5 out of 5... Passible and there are much worse ways to spend time...

The sequel on the other hand.... Avoid at all costs!!!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Moe, I wasted my time viewing the first one, so I'm sympathetic. Had I caught the thread earlier, I'd have recommended you do something other than watch that remaining 80 minutes or so.

I don't mean to come down on the movie -- escapist fluff has its place and arguably is not inherently demeaning to either those who make it or watch it. But I will say I'm sad to see Reese Witherspoon opt out of pursuing her art to pursue a dollar. I wish she'd come back, but she may be too far gone.

Kevin Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Eckhardt
Hey now, don't be knocking Bring It On.

Kirsten Dunst and Eliza Dushku as cheerleaders, how could you go wrong? :D

I think I'm gonna pass on the "sequel" however.

For the record I enjoyed both Legally Blonde and Bring It On. If I was forced to pick between the two I'd have to go with Bring It On

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Zing!! :laugh:

Rich, while I'm not surprised to see you knock LB I am very surprised to see you regretting Reese not pursuing her art. That is a statement I never thought I would see coming from you. Maybe there's hope for you yet. ;)

The way I see it is, she grabbed some major bucks for a couple years. It is hard to argue the point that it didn't really go very well. The woman is already richer than anyone needs to be, so maybe now she'll get back to her skills as an actor.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Aargh; I still remember my ex-girlfriend watching that movie two days in a row.

I think I knew it had to end soon at that point.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I don't like to see good actors selling out, and I don't know what else to call her recent choice of roles in such movies as "Legally Blonde", "Sweet Home Alabama", "Little Nicky", "Legally Blonde II" except the choices of a sell-out. But, Brook, I do stand by my positive rating for "Bring it On", despite all the derision and snickers it's brung me over the years (I hear you guys laughing!). :b

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Rich, I was being sarcastic, but I'm just glad to see you recognize Reese has some genuine skill as an actor.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I enjoyed the first, but then I wasn't expecting much. I didn't see the second one and basically refused to see it based on bad reviews as well as the apparent regression of the character. What happened to all the growth and development we saw at the end of the first?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks