I'm in the mood for some grilled Hamburger goodness, share your recipes!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Travis Hedger, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

The wife and I normally take a few pounds of hamburger, one package of Lipton Onion soup mix, and a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce.

What do you guys normally do for yours, I think I may want to try something a bit different this time!

2. ChuckSn

ChuckSn Extra

3. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Put it on the Georgie grill, put it between a bun, add some ketchup and eat it like there's no tomorrow. Gourmet!

4. Travis Hedger

Hmmm, I guess I never saw that thread! HEH, thanks for the link!

5. Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl Stunt Coordinator

This was mentioned in the other thread, but the one thing you can do to most improve the quality of your burgers is to chop the meat yourself in a food processor. Start with a nice chuck roast, cut it into 1" cubes. Put the cubed chuck in the freezer for about 15 minutes. Process about a handful at a time in the food processor. You want to do about ten one-second pulses. Form 5 ounce burgers from the chopped chuck, working them to a bit larger than the size of a standard hamburger bun.

Cooking on a very hot charcoal grill is the best way, but if you have to do it indoors use a cast iron skillet that has pre-heated to the point water droplets scoot around in the pan. Some people may disagree, but to my mind the hotter the cooking surface, the better.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

7. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

That's burgers the size of plates.

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

My favorite is a little bit of diced onion and bell pepper with some Montreal steak spice.

9. Travis Hedger

10. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I like the Montreal seasoning too.

The key technique regardless of recipe is to never ever push down on the burger with the spatula. That forces out the juices (hence the tremendous sizzling you get when you do it) and the burger will be dry on the inside and burned on the outside.

11. Agee Bassett

Agee Bassett Supporting Actor

One (thousand) words: [​IMG]

Sprinkle generously on any meat, for that matter, and treat your tastebuds to food empyrea.

12. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

As an aside, here's a few tips for better meat grilling.

If grilling less tender cuts of meat, marinate in papaya juice, refrigerated, for 24 hours.

When turning item over on the grill, don't pierce with a fork. Slide a utensil underneath and lift to turn.

If you are using frozen product don't thaw before grilling. Grilling unthawed items keeps the finished product moist.

Regards,
    -Gary

13. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

My personal favorite thing to add to a burger to make it yummy is onion. A nice healthy slab of a sweet Vidalia on top, or if out of season, onions sauteed in butter. Make sure that you saute them so that they start to brown and caramelize. Then slather them on top and enjoy ! Bon appetite [​IMG]

14. Ralph Summa

Ralph Summa Supporting Actor

I saw Emeril put an ice cube in the middle of each patty before throwing on the grill. Keeps it really juicy!

Other than that I want Land O' Lakes American, Heinz Ketchup, French's Mustard and fresh veggies (L, T and O).

15. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

I take a large pot lid and place it over the burger as it cooks when I'm forced to cook them indoors. The steam generated helps to keep it moist. Just remember that it will cook faster than if not covered.

16. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

17. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Meat. Cheese. Ketchup.