Im in Skiing Heaven!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeremySt, Mar 3, 2003.

1. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Here in Southwest Montana, we have had record snowfall in the month of February. We had nothing throughout December and January, and people were ready to write winter off completely when... BLAMMO. February comes, and were getting snow snow snow snow. I live in Bozeman, and for those of you unfamiliar with my lovely hometown, we have two of the best ski mountains in the country. Bridger Bowl, and Big Sky, both less than 1 hour away.
    http://www.bridgerbowl.com/
    http://www.bigskyresort.com/

Here is Big Sky....
    [​IMG]

I started skiing at age 8, going an average of 25 times a year. I had gotton quite good, but in 1997, my senior year of High School, I destroyed my skis while jumping in icey conditions.

I sold all my equipment, and was planning on buying all new stuff, but it just never happened. That and snow conditions were less than ideal for a while. We were having drought conditions, leading to extreme forest fires all over the place. (you may remember hearing of it the news)

I still skied as much as I could, about 3 or 5 times a year, but the combined cost of renting gear and a buying a lift ticket is astronomical. (Around $80)

Well, anyway, the amazing recent conditions forced me to stop making excuses and get back into the game. (128" new snow at Bridger in February) I cleaned out the bank acccount and bought Salomon Wave 8.0 boots, Rossignol Pro Flex Bindings, and Volkl G3 Shape Skis.

Ive gone 3 times to Big Sky, and Bridger yeserday. Im going o Big Sky again on sunday. Its fantastic. If you have never been, I highly reccomend it. Any other skiing enthusiasts here to share my excitement?

2. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

I HATE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

j/k But I do envy you sure wish I lived in the mountains, but I don't [​IMG]

3. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

I love voikl skis and would have loved to get a pair myself but they are just so expensive [​IMG] I usually ski a few times at cypress bowl a local mountain and at whistler a couple times (they may be getting the 2010 olympics [​IMG] ) which is about a 2hr drive away.

4. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Tommorow I leave for my road trip to Killington... Should have 3 great days of skiing, and 4 nights of partying [​IMG]

My buddy just bought the G3's and loves them.

Mike D.

5. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

Oh Jeremy, you're killing me. On Saturday I'm flying to Jackson, WY for 7 days of skiing at Jackson Hole and Sun Valley (Sun Valley first). You're not making my week go any faster with pictures like that. Four years ago we did a similar trip with Big Sky as the second destination instead of Sun Valley. It's still my girlfriend's favorite out of all the places we've been, but we wanted to try something new this year. As much as I adore Jackson, the Lone Peak tram at Big Sky serves the most butt-kicking terrain I've ever skied.

I've also become a big Volkl fan. This season I picked up a pair of the new T50 SuperSport 5-Stars with the Marker Piston Motion bindings. They are an absolute blast. I can't believe I'm skiing 175cm's again (the second longest length!). I haven't skied something that short since I was 12. It's a great ski for the east, where I do most of my skiing. I hear the G-series is the ski to have if you're lucky enough to have local mountains like those.

6. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

Very cool. Wish I could be skiing more but it just ain't worth it on the east coast. Colorado got some excellent freshies while I was out there though.

G3's are great skis, I had a chance to ski 'em last year. I would look to get me a pair but went another route. Dan, you think 175's are short? Hehe, I just bought a pair of 99cm skis. Or rather, skiboards. If you haven't tried them, they're an absolute hoot. Incredibly fast, turn on a dime, fantastic for skiing the trees. Highly recommend that every skier try 'em out for a day.

Andrej

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Just returned from Mammoth a week ago. We got 6" of new snow the day we arrived and blue skies there after. Made for perfect skiing.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

8. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

Andrej, I love skiboards! I haven't been on them for a while, but borrowed a friend's pair a few times a few years back. Loads of fun. I was surprised at how well they carved and how fast you could go. They were even fun in the moguls. The big problem for me was how easily you could fall over forwards and backwards!

9. Andrej Dolenc

Andrej Dolenc Stunt Coordinator

Well yeah, it does take a bit more balancing. But once you get that down, you'll end up being a better skier on long boards.

Too bad it's getting warm here in the DC area, I really want to go play with mine (just arrived last night).

Andrej

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I went to MSU bozeman for awhile.. back in 96-97
    never cared for big sky, why drive an hour when brider is 15 minutes away and actually wants the local business. big sky could give a crap about the locals.

11. Jerry St.Marie

Want something different try Zermot Switzerland where the beginner slopes are on the top of the mountain and you can ski into Italy. The way to get there cheap is to go to a ski show and join the ski club that's going there with the best price. I skied a week there and stayed in a room that I could see the Materhorn out my window for under $1500 including all transportation, room and breakfast. I've skied Aspen, Vail, Steamboat, Breckenridge and a lot of other places but nothing compares with the Alps. I just wish I wasn't in a wheelchair now and didn't miss it so much. S--t happens.

12. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Dan D,

I will be at Jackson this Friday[​IMG] Nothing new about that though as I ski there every weekend.

Jackson got 21" Monday, is snowing now, and is suposed to get a big hit Thursday, Thursday night, and again on Friday.

I am skiing on Rossi Scratch BC's this year. I love the fatty skis. Snowboarding is for cheesy slopes like Targhee (I only board at Targhee, ski elsewhere).

Jeremy, I am sooooo happy Big Sky is finally getting snow. It was getting old having to contend with all the Montana skiers as well as the Utah chaps. Only JH and Targhee were getting any kind of snow for most of the winter (out this way I mean) so all of SLC was heading to my resorts every weekend.

I love snow[​IMG]

13. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

Dwight, that's awesome news. We won't be skiing Jackson Hole until Wednesday since we're hitting Sun Valley for a few days first. Looks like we picked a good winter to go back to Jackson!

What do you hear about rain in next week's forecast? I've been checking weather.com and I've been seeing it pop up on various days. Never had much faith in their forecasts.

14. KerryK

KerryK Stunt Coordinator

Mike_D, I'm thinking of going to Killington early April. How was the snow?

Although the ski hills are horrible here in the Toronto area, we have had an AMAZING winter here and what crappy hills we do have have had a ton of snow. Everyone else has been complaining all winter, and I've been ecstatic!

I took the opportunity of great snow/easy hills to finally get better at snowboarding and I'm loving it!

15. DwightK

DwightK Second Unit

Dan D,

I get all my weather info from
    http://www.crh.noaa.gov/data/forecas...ncounty=wyc039

and the accurate Jackson snow info from www.jhavalanche.org

The raymer plot is at the top of the Gondola.

Thre won't be rain next week[​IMG]

The other source is at www.jacksonhole.com Go to snow report and then mountain cam. You can get images every 5 minutes or hourly from the top of the gondola looking towards Thunder.

Oh and don't forget 888-333-7766 where Tommy Moe will tell you how wonderful the world is every day after 8:00 AM mountain time.

The chutes are a callin' me....[​IMG]