I'm in a B-movie Mood

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Scarpa, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I don't know what it is I'm going B-movie Crazy. All of a sudden I'm Jonesing for the movies of my youth. So I place a big order at DVD Empire for alot of Alpha Video releases like Gammera, War of the Monsters, Attack of the Monsters, Warning From Space etc. Now I realize the quality of these are spotty but for $3.60 each and free shipping so what. I even ordered a copy of War of the Colossel Beast from Sinister Cinema if it goes well I'll order the first one there also. I'm also going to start looking into getting alot of the Godzilla flicks although I'd rather the Japanese originals I'll probably start with the badly Dubbed and Cropped originals. Blasphemy you say ? Well that's how I remember them on Saturday Afternoon Creature Double Features !

I think I'm just getting older and I'm longing for my youth but so what. But whats up with classic B films on video? Is there any excuse that Frankenstein Conquers the World or War of the Gargantuans is not on video ? And what about legit releases of The Colossel Man movies ? But Most criminal of all is no release of "The amazing Shrinking Man" ? These films are B-Movie Classics are they all in Ted Turners Vaults somewhere?

Anyways Happy Holidays and the Best of B Moviedom to you !

2. AlanBrom

AlanBrom Second Unit

THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN is owned by Universal who should really get it out on DVD already! I would love to see FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD, WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS, and the "Collosal" films on DVD, but who has the rights?

3. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

If you're looking for a decent deal on legit B-movie releases, Deep Discount has great pre-order prices on the Wade Williams/Corinth collection from image. Just go to the upcoming releases schedule and scroll down to the Dec. 31 titles to find 'em.

These are some great classic B-movies that are being reissued as double-features at a MSRP far below what they used to be. In Toronto, these used to be around $35 CDN a pop for ONE film. Now the MSRP looks to be $15US and DDD's preorder price is $7.98 per disc (TWO movies on each disc) with free shipping!

I picked up 11 of these (22 films) for about $105 Canadian. They don't seem to include the Ed Wood films,however, but you can get classics like :

Bride of the Gorilla/Bride of the (Monster?)
    Teenage Monster/Teenagers From Outer Space
    Stranger from Venus/The Cosmic Man
    Astounding She Monster/She Demons
    Kronos/Spaceways
    Missile to the Moon/Project Moonbase
    Beach Girls & The Monster/Brain From Planet Arous (?)
    Mesa of Lost Women/Beast of the Yucca Flats
    Devil Girls from Mars/

There's a couple more that I can't think of at the moment, but I'm assuming they're using the same prints from the original releases, which were quite good, all things considered.

B-Cheers!

4. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I really believe Turner owns alot of the releases

5. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

Actually, BRIDE OF THE MONSTER is a Wood film. A good one, too. Bela's last full role and Tor Johnson with an angora fetish. Top notch! I also recommend the PLAN 9 release from the Williams Collection. Great source print and a nice, feature-length documentary about the film with lots of interviews with Wood's "stars".

6. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

Well, if by B movies you are referring mostly to B horror movies, some of my favorites are:

Fiend Without a Face (Criterion and very expensive)
    Invisible Invaders
    The Brain That Wouldn't Die
    The Killer Shrews
    The Giant Gila Monster

These are only a few I have, but there are other B movies in the detective, thriller, drama and western catagories that are worth a look although I haven't bought many of those. Some examples of these would be:

The Killers
    Last Command
    Dark Victory
    I Died a Thousand Times
    I Was a Fugitive From a Chain Gang

Ironically, ANY movie with Ronald Reagan prior to his becoming governor of California would qualify as a B movie.

7. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

The Incredible Shrinking Man is definitely waaay overdue for release on DVD.

I have only one Criterion DVD, because of the high cost, but Fiend Without A Face was worth it, even to a cheapskate like me! [​IMG]

Jan

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Not one of you film buffs even mentioned Night of the Lepus. For shame!

9. WillardK

WillardK Second Unit

I second Brian's recommendation for the reissued double-features. I've pre-ordered a bunch myself. Some of my favorites from the series (discs I purchased individually at the higher price) haven't been listed yet like Cat Women of the Moon and Frankenstein's Daughter. But I imagine they will be included eventually. The Brain From Planet Arous is screamingly funny and one of the greatest B's ever imo. It's one of those "they DID know this was humorous... didn't they?" films. Two words sum up my favorite scene: dog possession. Thoroughly watchable and SCREAMINGLY funny. These are incredible bargains.

Ah... and if they are all packaged like the Rocket X-M/Destination Moon pack I received the other day, they are in two seperate amrays and identical to the original issues.

10. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

If you want great "Cheesy B" double features, check out these:

Invisible Invaders/Journey to the Seventh Planet
    House on Haunted Hill/Last Man on Earth
    The Killer Shrews/Giant Gila Monster

I have these in my collection and although not the greatest in sound and video quality, they look and sound just fine and will definately delight. The price is usually pretty good on these "double features."

11. Brian Thibodeau

Just thought of a couple more great online b-movie double feature deals. A Corman 3-Pack, A Film Noir 3-Pack, a Something Weird 2-Pack. They used to have a Chesty Morgan 2-pack but I can't find it there anymore. May have sold out. They're region 2, but if you're set up for that, these are a great deal. Nice packaging too. Free shipping on everything.

http://www1.cd-wow.net/detail_result...duct_code=6030

http://www1.cd-wow.net/detail_result...duct_code=6031

http://www1.cd-wow.net/detail_result...duct_code=6032

The prints on these are passable, but the Something Weird collections actually include some of the extras from the American disc.

Cheers.

12. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    You have to pick up both "Reptillicus" and "Motel Hell", both avaliable from MGM, if you're feeling like B-movies.

13. Brian Thibodeau

That reminds me of another great MGM title DERANGED, which was released in a Midnight Movies double feature with some other title I can't remember. It's got an absolutely brilliant performance by Roberts Blossom as a looney bible-belt serial killer heavily inspired by real life lady-skinner Ed Gein. For my money, this was the best Gein tale of the bunch, just this side of a black comedy, and I'll bet it's closer to the real deal than most of the others (Psycho, Chainsaw, etc.).

14. KenRen

KenRen Stunt Coordinator

If you want to get it started right, try the best movie ever categorized as a "B" movie, TOUCH OF EVIL. (Restored Collector's Edition, Orsen Welles, Charlton Heston, Janet Leigh, (try and find the young Dennis Weaver))

And to boot, the price has dropped over the last year to below $20.

Though it is a B movie, it is rated as the King of B movies, and includes an incredible uninterrupted opening shot with hundreds of peoples, animals, cars, props.

The story is actually very compelling. I loved the endings allegory to script from the beginning of the film......Touch of Evil......

KenRen