I'm having a problem running an old LucasArts game on my PC - can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

One of my all time favourite games is LucasArts' 'Day of the Tentacle'. And I haven't been able to get it to work properly for years! The game starts fine, but the theres never any music, and the voices cut out after about 0.5 seconds, of beginning and dont come back! A friend suggested that it may be sound drivers, but I wouldnt know how to download new ones! I've tried it in XP compatability mode and it makes no difference! Anyone know what my problem might be and how to fix it!

Any replies would really be appreciated!

2. Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard Supporting Actor

Green Tentacle - "I wouldn't drink that if I were you."

Purple Tentacle - "Nonesense!"

Purple Tentacle - "It makes me feel strong, like...like...like I can take over the world!"

"Naive Human!"

"Hands off that Hamster!"

"Chrono-John"

Man that was a fun game!!!!!!

It runs fine under Dos 6.2.

3. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Can't say that I've tried that recently, but that reminds me-is there a way to set up 98 (or XP for that matter) to dual boot with Dos 6.2? I have some old games that don't seem to like ANY version of windows that much (most Sierra stuff and Star Control 2 come to mind) and a dual boot might be nice. I seem to remember massive problems the last time I tried this though...

4. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Don't you need some DOS soundcard drivers? It's like when I try and play DukeNukem, I get the video just fine, but no sound since the drivers are only present in the Windows envirionment. I could be, and probably am wrong [​IMG] !

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Depends. Yes, you need a driver, but I know that my SB Live will run with SB16 emulation, and should load with a DOS SB16 driver. Have you got a blaster environment variable set? That's usually the problem, and I know there's a way to get windows to automatically set this any time a command prompt is opened. Can't remember how offhand, but you can just type it in when you open the dos window.

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

7. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Its not an ideal answer, but I'm fairly sure the recent (as in the last month or two) release of DOTT has been updated to run in Windows - as it comes with Sam 'n' Max as well its not too painful to buy it again. here is a link to UK Amazon so you can see what I'm on about.

8. Uchendu Nwachukwu

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you!"
    Classic stuff.
    It's easy to dual-boot Dos 6.2 and XP. Simply install Dos 6.2 first, then install XP on a different partition.