I'm happy with myself because I haven't drank in 4 months.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Aug 19, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I have a problem with drinking way too much if I start, especially when I'm around my cousin. I haven't drank in 4 moths now, though I've had the urge and money to. I'm gonna try my best to hit the year mark, and go from there. I've been spending money on other stuff, like getting DVDs, bringing my sister to the movies, getting my sister gifts, getting my pets stuff, helping my mom with the bills an household needs, etc, instead of buying alcohol. I'm very happy with myself.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Speaking for your liver:

Good job, Steve! Hang in there!

It's amazing how ingrained alcohol is in our society, how, as a whole, our culture has trouble socializing without it. It's a common underlying theme to any sporting event, party, festival... etc. I have the utmost respect for non-drinkers for they are being constantly bombarded with temptation.

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Congrats Stephen. It's great that you are setting realisitic goals, like the one year mark. Good luck!
    Peace Out~[​IMG]
    sorry about the sig pic[​IMG]

4. John Gates

John Gates Second Unit

Congratulations, Stephen! That's terrific!

I've made it 10 years now. A few years ago, my mother-in-law died of alcohol-related stuff in her early 50s. It can be sometimes awkward to be the only non-drinker in a crowd, but I've gotten to where i can integrate pretty well without making others feel judged in some way. That's the hardest part for me...

It's nice to see that you've set a goal for yourself, and I wish you the best success!

John G

5. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

That's fantastic, Stephen! I haven't had a drop in three years.

6. Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman Supporting Actor

Congrats!! That's truly something to be proud of!

7. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

You should just become Asian. I turn red whenever I drink, it's a built-in deterrent! [​IMG]
    Seriously, congrats. And good luck on your milestone. It's amazing once you curb one habit, how much money goes into your other hobbies!
    A year or so ago I curbed my DVD spending (GASP! The horror!) which means I went from several a week to about 4 a month - give or take. That freed up about $100+ every month and I was able to buy a new acoustic guitar!

8. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Thanks everyone. What made me stop was when I blacked out in April, and before the black out was msotly a blur. I decided to stop then before it became more of a problem for me. There's alot of drug/alcohol abuse in my family, so that's another reason. I figured I could handle it when I turned 21, but was wrong. Now I'll just try my best to stay away from it. When I was with my cousin in June, he got real plastered and high, while I stayed sober all night. We even went to the bar so he could play pool, but I didn't order anything. It was hard, but I resisted.

9. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

From a former alcoholic, let me say "Congrats". The "fun" you may feel you're missing will really reveal itself for what it is after a while. When I finally made the commitment to overcome my alcoholism, I of course became Mr. Designated Driver. Spending weekend after weekend watching people make total idiots of themselves, soil most of what they own, and have no idea where all their money went solidified my determination. The hardest thing to explain to people is that alcohol itself is not necessarily a bad thing. It's the people who don't know when they should stop drinking it.
    Stephen, keep it up. Believe me, you'll thank yourself later.

10. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Carlo had the right idea: If you can stay away from booze for a year, then you can buy a Martin D16 that will last a lifetime!
    But then starts the more expensive habit of guitar addiction[​IMG] I've fallen off that wagon more times than I can count...

11. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Congratulations Stephen A.
    If you stop early as you have you will avoid a lot of heartache in the future.

I wasn't that smart, started drinking at 17 and didn't quit 'til I was 30. It's amazing to me how much more fun sober is than the kind of drunk I usually was. I will always have the disease of alcoholism, but as long as I don't drink I can lead a happy useful life, one day at a time.

If you have difficulty in the future maintaining your sobriety, remember that there is a lot of help out there and many new friends to be had among the friends of Bill W.

12. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

Wow! You must be really thirsty!

What's that? Oh, alcohol you say. My mistake. Good job!

13. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

14. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

15. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Deleted

16. DougRogers

DougRogers Stunt Coordinator

Hey nobody likes a quitter. [​IMG] Just joking. Good job. I haven't gotten blasted in quite some time. I just like beer way to much to cut it out all together. I think anything in moderation is okay, well almost anything. Good luck on the year mark. Smoking is our top priority right now. Stupid college of all the bad habits I could pick up I picked up smoking.
    Doug

17. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

Good for you, Stephen![​IMG]
    17 years and counting here. There's no such thing as reliably moderate drinking (or any other recreational drugging) for a person like me. It's hard to understand for those who haven't been there, but unmistakably obvious to those who have.
    Alcohol is an especially nasty drug. One drug is just as bad as another for me, but alcohol (organic solvent) abuse is right there next to glue sniffing. Maybe not the acute toxicity of more vilified substances, but the greatest variety of end organ damage of any popular substance I can name.
    For those who can drink without consequences, that's cool. They'd probably be better off without, but I'd be better off without pastrami and pizza for that matter. As long as I can handle those in moderation, I'm golden.

18. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Four months? On purpose? Perish the thought.....

19. Mark C Sherman

Mark C Sherman Second Unit

WAY TO GO[​IMG]

20. Mike boettner

Mike boettner Stunt Coordinator

good job Steve!![​IMG] i'm straight edge and love it.
    Mike(don't need drugs for fun)Boettner