What's new

Im going to test between Z2 and Z4 tommorrow. (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
My boss let me take home some Z4 Monster Speaker Cable for the weekend. I already have Z2 running to my Boston VR-950's. I love how they sound, but Im going to hook up the Z4 and do an A B. So I will post results tommorrow.

David Judah

Screenwriter
I'm using Z2 to my B&W 9NT's, so I'll be interested in your findings. My guess though is that you won't hear any difference. The only difference I can see between the two is the Z4's "Network Terminator" and from Monster's explanation, I still don't know what it is.

DJ

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well Monster's 2.2 wires used a 100 ohm resistor wired in series. So I'd kind of expect that to have an effect. Run on down to the Shack and make your own!

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator
I look forward to your results Jesse.

My colleague Liam has the Z4 hooking up his Mission 783's to his AVR4802.

At the moment, I am leaning towards Z2 biwire for my new Mission M52's when they come in. I'm still using my DA30ES Sony reciever from when I was a faceless drone for Mother Sony. Next Xmas I'll be springing for outboard power.

Liam is a young headbanger with a propensity for Zeppelin and Metallica. I tend more towards vintage jazz and baroque chamber music. I've also got a wife, and he doesn't, so my purchases have to be a little more reasonable.

Yes, we have a Lee and Liam in the same department. It drives the receptionist into fits paging us. :D

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I also would like to hear. I'm running Z1 in my system now. I'd like to know if there's a huge difference too.

Oh...psssssst...tomorrow was yesterday :)

Don't listen to Robert's comments. He's a regular thread crapper in anything about cables. I'm looking forward to hearing your comments and if there was any audible difference between the two.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi guys.

Please report thread craps to the management. We are always locked and loaded :)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Well simply put... on my system I did not notice a difference. I have a pair of Boston VR-950's and Yamaha RXV-1400. So maybe $2000 worth of equipment. I didnt spend much time doing it, my wife was on the comp right next to me so I couldnt really crank it. But I was looking for pretty obvious sound changes. When I tested zip wire and Z2 I noticed a huge difference.

Thus it leads me to believe that wire helps.... but only to a certain extent. For example with my $2000 system anymore than $200 wire I proably wont notice. :D

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Do you have any way of comparing Z1 to Z2? Or have you? Around here, I can't find any shop that carries high end Monster.

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator
Jesse,

As fond as I am of high (and over-) priced cable :) , there is a definite curve of diminishing returns regarding the impact that cableage has on audio performance. A $1000 cable isn't better than a $50 cable if you the listener can not percieve a difference; or, more importantly, rationalize value into the difference.

And Drew, since you live in Toronto have you tried Bay Bloor Stereo?

Drew_W

Screenwriter
Bay Bloor is pretty much useless. Their sales staff are rude, their selection isn't the best, and they don't accept returns. Forget that.

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator
That sucks dude. I'd heard such great things about them. Oh well. I'll ask my Monster rep who I should recommend in T.O. and let you know.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I can GET Monster easily, I just want to test it. I can get dealer pricing on it (60% off retail), but for that you have to submit an order to them in the US, which is also no returns. This doesn't leave much way to test stuff.

EDIT: Bay Bloor may be OK if you tell them you want to buy something (money talks..and the conversation is quite extensive when you have sales reps on commission), and the fact that they're big enables them to have cool seminars and bring in people like the head designer for Energy Speakers, the Pioneer product manager, etc to give one hour talks. I have seen much much better service elsewhere though. So many BBR stories, so little time.

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sorry to make you relive so many bad memories. ;)

On the other hand, I am startled that an "upscale" retailer doesn't accomodate a home evaluation period. For heaven's sake, trying your new gear tied in to your old gear, in your environment, with all of those other variables under control is somewhat critical to ensuring satisfaction in your purchase. In our case, we have little difficulty reselling repacked evaluation units in short order (with full disclosure to the client as to the status and history of the unit they are getting...).

If you're a retailer, why not ask your Monster area rep to loan you a couple of different units for your evaluation? I've never pushed this with Monster mind you, but other reps have accomodated me for brief in-home trials in the past.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I can get dealer pricing through a friend who works at a local chain. I myself am not a dealer.

To be honest, I want to try other stuff that's *NOT* Monster for a bit. Maybe Audioquest or Transparent or something of the like. I want to see if I'll actually notice a difference.

But that 60% off Monster is awful tempting.

I'm using audioquest CV-6 with their dialectric bias system for my mains, and it sounds real good, as did their cheaper Slate cable. The main difference is that the CV-6 sounds more accurate to me, with deeper bass. It's all better than the basic 12 gauge stuff off of a spool that I had been using for a few years. The differences are subtle, and probably not worth the price and all the marketing hype, but I can definitely hear a difference, as can my girlfriend who remarked that things sounded more "clear." The equipment you're using definitely makes a difference. I use a Yamaha DSP-A1 to power it and Paradigm speakers all around, and my brother and I have hooked it up to his Denon 5803 and NHT Super 2.9s, and it defintely made a difference on both systems (although moreso on his, as his speakers have better imaging, drivers, and design).

I just find it interesting to hear what other people have ot say about their experiences with different cables. Home theater isn't a science, it's about enjoyment, and anything that can make me enjoy my home theater more is great, so I'm open to trying things like different speaker cable or fun gadgets like tactile transducers.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
Jesse,

are you in co springs? if so, we have a listenup up there. they will loan anything out for a demo. just let them know where you work and they shouldnt give you a hassle. give some cv-6 or cv-4 a shot. in my system(s) at least, it sounded worlds better than Z2 or Z3. could be different for you of course.

i just sold off my old cv-4, burning in my pike's peak now. its not a whole lot different, but more coherent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks