What's new

I'm going to take up golf...any pointers? (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The tips in the golf magazines are definitely more useful for an experienced golfer, who can pick and choose which tips best fit his/her game and address a specific problem. I discard the vast majority of the tips (I particularly dislike David Leadbetter's approach in Golf Digest), but there are some that made sense and I incorporated into my game and have stuck with me for many years.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
One other tip: don't practice -too- long at a stint. Get yourself into a rythm and build a steady time of practice and how long you stay at it ;)

Terry Hansen

Stunt Coordinator
OK don't laugh but I found "Golf for Dummies", by Gary McCord helped me a great deal when I first took up golf a few years ago.

I agree with everything mentioned above, especially the tips offered by golf magazines.

Start with learning the fundamentals, proper stance, grip, aim, etc...

Enjoy, it's a great game. Be patient, don't expect to hit like Tiger, or Jim Furyk for that matter.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The number one thing to remember, once you're out there playing a game with friends, is that you're out there to have fun. Don't worry about how good your game is, just enjoy the time out with your friends.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The UW sports department offers golf lessons at about $5.50 an hour. Between January and April I'll probably get about 40 hours of lessons before the courses in Washington State are dry enough to play on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks