What's new

I'm going to Europe! (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
hehe, I went to the cafe across from my hotel too, I stayed up off glouchester. It was expensive too, 1 pound for 20 minutes.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Haha you actually used a different accent there? Did they spt on you when you accidentally went back to American? ;)

Seems like you're liking London, but how does it compare to a US city like LA or NYC? I'm assuming people are friendlier and less irritable but that's just my mindset I've had about England after speaking with a few English.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Yeah there are a lot internet cafe around here, thank god. :D That's how I booked my ticket to Sweden yesterday(133 pounds round trip with a stop in Amsterdam).

Scott, yep I'm back in Aussie mode. I'm treating it as a challenge(and I do love challenges) to get around not only in Europe but to also do it with my old accent that faded away around the mid-80's or so. I've only caught myself slipping once and that's when I was talking to the receptionist where I'm staying. I'm also telling people that I'm from Sydney.

You know in reality it probably doesn't make a damn bit of difference. I've seen and heard plenty of Americans here, but I dunno, I guess like I said it's the challenge of it all. Anyway I listen to my James Bond CD's while walking around and such so in the back of my mind I'm almost playing out some secret spy fantasy. ;)

I was at Trafalgar Sq. yesterday and boy was that a scene! The war protesters were out in force as were the police. Then I went over to the London Eye and took a wonderful, awe-inspiring ride on that. Took pictures of Big Ben, although I had left before those 2 climbers scaled the tower with their small sign.

London is pretty similar to other big cities. Then again I've never been to NY. Lots of wonderful and old architecture. A feast for the eyes. The people generally don't pay much attention to you and they often look serious but when spoken to they are nice. I haven't encountered any rudenes or anything(yet). If someone gets in your way or something there's often an 'excuse me' and such. I think people are perhaps more civilized here.

Anyway I'm off to either Abbey Road, Piccadilly Sq. or both today. I finally got a decent nights sleep so I'm well-rested. I've been listening to a lot of Beatles, Floyd, Bond music, basically a lot of Englishcentric of European flavored music as my soundtrack for this trip. :D

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Excellent advice.

On my trip I spent 3 weeks just visiting England, Wales and Scotland. For me, Italy would be another 3 week trip ideally. Same for France, etc.

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
And beware of the pick-pocket warning signs. People tend to check their wallets when they see that sign, and pick-pockets then know the location of a potential victim's wallet...

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Hej!

Gary->dee reporting from Stockholm. //salutes :D

I'm loving it here! And the exchange rate is much better between dollars to SEK. It's cold but I like it! At least it's not raining or snowing, but I wouldn't mind if it were anyway.

Btw I'll be in Europe until April 11th, so it's a tad bit longer than 2 weeks(just under a month). I got stinkin' drunk last night at this wonderful restaurant where the food was excellent(as well as the wine!). Warm chicken salad...mmmm...gotta get some more of that.

Ok let's talk women, and I hope I don't offend anybody! These are just my own naive opinions. In London/England the women are quite unremarkable. Dare I saw drab and ug...ok I won't go there. Let's just say I have yet to see any 'lookers'. And if they did look good they were probably from somewhere else. Now on the other end of the spectrum are the women in Sweden- ouch! Lots of attractive women. No comparison. Alright that's enough of that. Hopefully I haven't pissed anyone off.:b

Well I'm off to continue my exploration of Stockholm. So far, I think I'd want to move here rather than London. They also drive on the right side of the street over here! Maybe I can find a way of shipping my Saab convertible over(or I could just buy another one here). ;)

Once I return to London on Friday I'm going to immediately look into going to France, either by plane or train.

Edit: Oh shit almost forgot. I went to Abbey Road last Saturday. Of course I was listening to my Abbey Road CD while I was walking around. Bought a few trinkets from the AR cafe. While walking around St. Johns Wood, which is a beautiful and expensive area, I stopped into a restaurant and met this nice Polish women. I'll be going back, with a big marker so I can leave my mark on the famous AR and take a snapshot of it. Currently while in Sweden my soundtrack consists of ABBA and classical music, but mostly ABBA. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks