What's new

I'm going to Europe! (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Later next week through Easter. It's my first international trip since moving from Australia when I was 8 and now I'm taking a few weeks to see Europe. Besides England I plan to visit Sweden, Scotland, France, maybe Italy and who knows where else. I'd like to visit Germany and Switzerland as well but I'm mostly making this up as I go. I've told myself that in ever city I visit I'm stopping for a glass of red wine(unless I'm having fish!). I'll mostly be staying in London however since I know someone there.

While in London I plan on seeing Abbey Road, Trafalgar Square, and the wonder wheel great eye thing, but does anyone have any ideas for other things that I should see while in London?

As a matter of fact any advice about Europe would be appreciated, especially matters pertaining to currency exchange. :)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Well, congrats of your choice to go to Europe... I wouldnt mind doing it sometime...

Bring me back a souvenir... :emoji_thumbsup:

Sorry, dont know much about it... I have never been there...

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
SHould be a good time, I'd prefer to go in the off season. I was in London a month ago, and in Germany last September, though that was for work, it was still cool :D

Devin U

Second Unit
In London, if you can, there is a place in the theater district (West End) that sells half priced tickets for charity. It opens early and sells them for shows that day only. I also say get out into the country a little. I love East Kent, especialy around Canterbury. If you have a car, spend a day or two out there. Also, Hampton Court Palace in Hampton (near Kingston-upon-Thames)is incredible and is just a tube ride from the heart of London.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

It's called "The Half Price Ticket Booth", and it's in Leicester Square, by all the big cinemas. Usually a big queue there every day, but it's got some good deals.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I hope I can, Sven! I'd like to visit Oslo and hopefully run into that Norwegian chef with the TV show that sets up his kitchen where ever he goes.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
London has pretty much everything—it all depends on your interests. If you are a history buff the British Museum is a must. The spoils of the Empire: the Rosetta Stone, the Elgin Marbles the reading room (where Karl Marx did his research), two copies of Magna Carta and much, much more. Afterwards you can drop across the street to the Museum pub and have a pint where Karl and his cronies drank. You might also like to visit Greenwich, with its maritime museum and where you can prove that you can stand on the Prime Meridian. The Cutty Sark can be toured there. You can walk under the Thames to the other side via a tunnel, if you choose.

If you are into architecture and the history of England, I would highly recommend Westminster Abby, St. Pauls and the round church built by the Knight’s Templer down by the Temple (law offices). The Chapter House at Westminster Abby is a must. The Tower is very interesting—it is going to be very crowded, so I would get there early—immediately queue up for the crown jewels, the most popular attraction. If you get there before opening, you should be OK. Then you can visit the rest of the Tower at your leisure.

For the art lover, the Tate, the National Gallery and the National Portrait Gallery should be on your list.

Some day trips--for the gardener, Kew Gardens (you can get there via a very pleasant boat ride up the Thames or take a train is essential. Many consider that they have set the benchmark. I would highly recommend a visit to Hampton Castle (think Henry VIII), which will get you into the country a bit (you can take a train) or a boat (it is farther up the river than Kew.

There are plenty of places to visit not too far from London.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

And the new Tate Modern, directly south of St.Paul's, which is a wonderful new museum. Worth a trip just to experience Weather.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I found Parisians to be very nice if you follow two things. Try an speak French even if it's just a few words. Dress nice, not like you are on vacation on a beach. Dress like a slob and they will ignore you.
Have fun

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
Hey Gary, I'm planning on a European trip in a few months also. Maybe we can meet up? :D

I'll be tracking this thread for suggestions and insights.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
A few notes that might help.
Many nightclubs etc in England have dress codes that don't allow Tennis shoes (Trainers as they call them) or blue jeans. Even some eating establishments etc have codes and many are closed on off hours. I starved many Sundays in England while on the road.
You might want to limit your travel to 2 or 3 countries. A couple of weeks is not a lot of time and you don't want to spend a lot of time going from place to place. A Britrail or Eurail pass is a good thing to get around

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Well my Australian friend, I hope we can meet up but my last in Europe will be April 11th. Btw I'll be travelling with my newly acquired Australian passport. Gotta break it in right! :D (one of these days I have to visit Sydney again and track down that MIA father of mine!)

If anybody wants to meet up, feel free to drop me an email at [email protected] The first bottle's on me. :)

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Lose the American accent and stress the Australian one...you'll get along better with the locals in Europe.

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
That's too bad, my plans are for the end of April. Just try not to drain all of the European beer and wine supply is all I ask ;):D

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Well folks I'm in London, chatting from an internet cafe literally right across the street from where I'm staying in Bloomsbury Square. Weather is rather brisk and windy here. I'll be travelling to Stockholm via Amsterdam on Monday and returning to London on Friday the 26th.

It's taking me a bit to get used to the British currency. The exchange rate between US dollars and the Pound is terrible, 2 to 1 basically. Ouch. Good for England, bad for foreign travellers. Customs damn-near did a full-body cavity search at Gatwick airport. Anyway I'm having a good time but I'm a little tired from little sleep.

Hopefully France and maybe Italy the following week after Sweden!:D

And what's this shit about not being able to buy a beer in England before 11am and after 11pm?? :thumbsdown:

Glad I'm a wine drinker anyway!

Btw I have brought my Australian accent out of retirement. I should get an Oscar for my performance! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks