Im going to do a review of a few subs.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I already own an SVS 20-39PC+. Im gonna try and review it against a Definitive technologies Supercube I, and a Sunfire True Sub EQ. Any tips for me? Any movies you would like to hear. This should be happening on wednesday.

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

[​IMG]

3. Jesse Sharrow

Ok?

4. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

why is a review necessary? i think we all know how it will end up... a review usually reveals unknowns.

5. Jesse Sharrow

Ok well I think I was just bored. But I may do it just for fun. Im not worried.

6. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Comparing products, even what you think may be dissimilar ones is always a good idea. It's great practice in listening for specific differences between things, narrowing things down, taking careful measurements, etc. Plus it gives you something different to listen to that you might not expect.

What you *thought* before was how it is supposed to be, might be totally different if you listen or see a new product.

This is not usually the so much the case with subs, but a good comparison on both music and bassy action films is a good thing to do.

And make sure you be patient and spend a long time with each, it's the best way to do auditions. I prefer it over the quick passage-switch to sub B, same passage, change, switch back, etc.

All you tend to hear are the big differences between them. By listening to a speaker for a longer period of time, you aren't just getting the startling differences, liks "gee, where'd all the bass go" or "gee listen to all that new detail," but you get the whole package, and begin to hear other differences that would have been glossed over for the larger differences. That has more to do with regular speakers, subs are usually less complicated things, but the same can be said.
    [​IMG]

7. Stephen M

Stephen M Stunt Coordinator

Jeeez, go ahead and do it. Your opinion is as valid as the vast majority of "experts" who post on this forum. I for one would like to hear your opinion. My advice though is when you post results be specific regarding faults, describe them in detail, and list the specific album and song or part of a movie where the fault was revealed, the equipment used, room size, and volume level (with sound meter reading) where the fault was observed. This type of info is helpful to forum members since they can take the same software with them when they try out the same subs. Good luck and looking forward to your findings.

8. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    It would be very interesting to find the results of someone testing those against the SVS. For tips, if you don't want to spend a fortune...

1. Use a Rad Shack meter and the correction scale to do SPL measurements.

2. Go into the review with the idea you are trying to get the best out of each subwoofer, and set each up according to that standard. Once you get to that point, put in writing all that you did to assure peak performance from each.

3. Then do blind listening tests, posting the results before you know which subwoofer is which (this takes a LONG time.... You need to have someone who is not going to be listening hook one subwoofer up, listen for 1/2 hour or more, pause, have that person switch subs, another 1/2 hour or more... then the third. Of course, they do not tell you which sub you are hearing.

Each night list each as "A", "B", or "C". Post which one you prefer each night, and tell why. After about 12-15 nights, you have that person give you the list as to which was which each night. And to make matters more objective, for example, on the first night, sub "A" might be the SVS, the second night "A" could be the Sunfire... etc...

This way, you will be just listening with your ears...not your eyes. And once you are done, and you have the list, you post it.

4. Then do the measurements as to what each sub can "do" at 5 Hz intervals from 15 to 40 Hz... You won't have SPL/distortion measuring equipment, but your ears can do the job.

That is a start...

9. Jesse Sharrow

Well this isnt going to be a very scientific review. I dont own a sound meter. Im basiclly just going to listen to them all and say what I like about one over the other. This should be happening wednesday or thursday.

10. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Jesse,

It won't be much of a test unless you at LEAST calibrate each one against a common reference tone with an SPL meter. Forget scientific, that's hardly important, but a meter and keeping from the participants what sub is playing is the only way even an informal test can have any credibility.

Hell... I'll let you borrow one of my meters (have to have several just so I can always be sure to find one ;^) if you and the others participating can't pitch in and get one.

Maybe you can charge $10 admission. Four guys and you have it made. Raffle it when you are done.

Remember, even being 3dB off on a common calibration (all but certain if you do it "by ear") and you will inadvertently be handicapping whatever sub that gets the lower settings.

Ron

11. Stephen M

Stephen M Stunt Coordinator

You don't need to do blind tests. You are not developing life-saving medicines[​IMG] . However, without a sound level meter you will be unable to properly calibrate your system and compensate for differing efficeincies of the subs under evaluation. The louder sub will sound different, but absent calibration, not necessarily better.

12. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

oooo, i can't wait

:wink:

13. john aprile

john aprile Agent

I for one would be interested in the results between the SVS and the Sunfire….however without the SPL meter which at best ,is a minimum requirement for any comparison don’t expect the results to be taken seriously. [​IMG]

There have been two excellent reviews as you know, one by Edward J M and the other by Craig Chase on this Forum.
    [​IMG]

You’re also aware regarding my old buddy Craigsub AKA Craig Chase, and his interactive reviews on multiple subs on the other Forum …great perspective. [​IMG]

So, if you’re bored and just for fun….go for it. [​IMG]