What's new

I'm going to build them, but I need some advice (1 Viewer)

Jonathan T

Second Unit
I've been looking for a near field speaker for use in my room. THe Kit81 appealed to me, but Adire discontinued the near field version. Luckly, they still have the manual and parts lists for the speaker kit and the tech guy as nice enough to send it to me. I don't quite know what brand of parts to get though, could someone help me? Here is the list. I don't want to go over 300 for the total price of the compontents (excluding wood, screws, glue, etc).

2.4 uF 250VDC polypropylene capacitor
5.6 uF 250VDC polypropylene capacitor
4.3 uF 250VDC polypropylene capacitor
11 uF 250VDC polypropylene capacitor
51 uF 250VDC polypropylene capacitor
0.36 mH 16 GA perfect lay air core coil
0.47 mH 16 GA perfect lay air core coil
0.82 mH 16 GA perfect lay air core coil
1.3 mH 16 GA perfect lay air core coil
1.6 ohm 10W sandcast resistor
12 ohm 10W sandcast resistor
3 ohm 10W sandcast resistor
AV8 8” video shielded midwoofer
TM025F1 video shielded tweeter
SBP two-terminal circular input cup
14GA/2C 14GA twin conductor cable
0.25” female FAST-ON connector
21cm long wire tie wrap
Small T-nut/socket cap screw set
Large T-nut/socket cap screw set
Wire for use in building the crossover?
Suggestions for brands and places to buy these components? Also, should I just assemble the crossovers on some radio shack perf board? If you can't tell, this will the the first DIY speaker job I've ever done.

Last question, has anyone ever experimented with replacing the AV8 woofer in this kit with the Koda 8 inch woofer? Obviously, I'm not electrical engineer, but the Koda seems like a better woofer. Naturally, this would take some midification of the crossovers, I'm just curious.

Thanks!

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
The Koda 8 wont work because it is 4 Ohms and lacks the high end extension of the AV8. The Extremis would be a better choice for a replacement for the AV8 and Adire should have plans for this driver coming out in the next few weeks, but not likely any near field designs.

You can get parts from www.partsexpress.com www.solen.ca www.madisound.com and other sites. You can use perf board for the crossovers.

Jonathan T

Second Unit
Ok, thanks for the quick responce. Um, I as looking, specifically, for a recomendation for a brand of capacitor, resistor, etc to use in this project. There's a lot of stuff outthere and I just don't want to buy bad components. ALso, do you know if a good book or online atricle that woudl help a first timer in understanding schmetics, solering, etc?

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
You cant go wrong with Solen Fast Caps and Heptalitz inductors and it looks like that design calls for ceramic wire wound resistors. A good book for schematics would be the Loudspeaker Design Cookbook by Vance Dickason. I dont know of any online resources for tips on soldering, schematics etc. Someone else may chime in with more recommendations.

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
I agree with Solen parts, and if you buy them directly from Solen, who by the way are a pleasure to deal with, you'll save a bundle compared to Parts Express or Madisound. I like the Lynk metal oxide resistors from Solen. I use 1/4" pegboard for my crossovers, it's easy to cut and gives you plenty of spots to strap down components with wire ties, and nice holes for mounting the crossover to your cabinet. Of course you can always use hardboard, which is the same thing without precut holes, and make your own holes. :) It would be pretty hard to buy truly bad components from any of the above sources though, especially at the voltage ratings/gauges you've listed. The bad parts are going to be non-polarized electrolytic caps at 35-100V ratings, low power handling inductors (be they iron core or tiny wire air core), etc.

Can't say that I know an online source for reading schematics or soldering, either. I learned the old-fashioned way, went to college for the first, and learned on the job for the second. :) You may be best served to pick up a textbook on introductory electronics.

Aaron Gilbert

Jonathan T

Second Unit
THanks guys, I think I'm just gonna atke this slowly and first buy a book on basic electroncs, then solder some simple circuits, then move on to the crossovers. Thanks!

Jonathan T

Second Unit
Guys, when buiding electronics on a circuit board with no traces, like the ones you can get at radioshack, how does one connect the components together and how would one joint 2 wires together at a T junction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks