I'm going to build a basement HT. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dan_J_H., Oct 17, 2004.

1. Dan_J_H.

Dan_J_H. Stunt Coordinator

I,m planning on building a 12'-10" by 25'(7' ceiling) home theater room in my basement. This will be a rectangle with no support poles in the room. Does this room size sound good? Or is 25' too long? Also, there is a drain almost in the center of the planned HT room. This drain is never used. There is another drain in the laundry room that only gets used when I have some seepage from very heavy rain. What should I do about the drain and floor? From what I've read, it seems some kind of wood subfloor is good under the carpeting. I guess I could make some kind of trap-door in the carpeting/wood over the drain. I would like to hear what others have done about this. Are building permits/inspections needed? (I live in MI). Seeing pictures of others HT rooms has really got me excited to begin this project. I will also post many progress pictures. Thank god I live one mile from a Home Depot and own a Chevy Suburban[​IMG] Well, off I go to remove some junk so I can take some 'before' pictures.

Dan

2. Derek_Sutherlan

Hey Dan,

I am in a somewhat simmilar situation, although my basement hometheatre is going to be about half the size of yours. As for sub-flooring, I am planning on using dri-core...it is all 2'x2' tongue and groove and it should be very easy to install. I also have a drain to cover, but it is currently capped and does not see any use. As for a building permit, I am not sure what your local bi-laws dictate, but, I can pretty much guarantee that any electrical work you have done will have to be inspected. I have submitted a rough description of my HT plan on Wes' website www dot htplans dot 8k dot com. you might want to do the same.

Good Luck, and keep us posted with your progress...I am hoping to start buying building materials soon and get framing completed before the new year.

Derek

3. Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer Stunt Coordinator

Dan,

> is 25' too long? <

There are various "ideal" dimensions for a room when audio quality is important. For an 8 foot ceiling and a 12'10" width, a length of 18'6" is about right. But what's your ceiling height?

--Ethan

4. Dan_J_H.

Dan_J_H. Stunt Coordinator

My ceiling height is 7', which will be reduced when I put in a wood subfloor. I'm not sure yet how I'm going to do the sub floor. I would like to make the floor as low to the cement as possible. Another problem is I have a drain in the middle of the HT area, so how do I make it level due to the slope to the drain? What have others done about drains, plug them, or make a little trap-door to access the drain? As far as my HT's dimentions, 12'-10" wide is a sure thing, but I can go up to 25' long. I would like to get more advice on room size or any good web site on HT room sizes would be great.

5. Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer Stunt Coordinator

Dan,

I'm not much of a construction guy, so I can't help with your drainage problem. Maybe you could leave the floor as is and paint it, or use vinyl tile?

Sorry that I missed the 7' height - I see it now in your original post. With a height of 7 feet and width of 12'10" there's no ideal length, but 16 feet or so is not too bad.

--Ethan