What's new

I'm going to biamp! NAD C 370 + C 270! (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I've been talking about this for awhile, and I'm finally going to do it! I'm going to biamp my NAD C 370 stereo integrated amp with the C 270 power amp! The C 270 arrives on Friday. I just ordered a second pair of BetterCables Premium speaker cables with Vampire banana plug terminations, and I am hoping they will arrive soon too. The final piece of the puzzle I am looking to add is a pair of jumper cables from Pure Silver Sound (www.puresilversound.com) to link the pre-out 1 and main in jacks on the C 370 (i.e., to replace the stock jumpers). Unfortunately, Pure Silver Sound is only open on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, so I'll have to wait awhile to order the jumper cables. In any event, here is how I see my system looking:
* NAD C 370 integrated amp biamped with C 270 power amp
* Energy Active Crossover (EAC) Network to integrate Energy e:XL-S10 10" subwoofer
* Totem Arro floorstanders
* Sony SCD-777ES, Sony SCD-C555ES, Technics DVD-A10, and Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 front-end digital components (a few other front-end components too)
* Cables:
* BetterCables Premium speaker cables with Vampire banana plug terminations for both the tweeter and driver on the Arros
* Audioquest Diamondback RCA interconnects for the '777ES and 'C555ES (stereo analog outputs on the latter)
* Monster M300i RCA interconnects for the Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000
* Monster Interlink 400mkII interconnects for Technics DVD-A10 (stereo analog outputs)
* Pure Silver Sound silver jumper cables between pre-out 1 and main in on NAD C 370
* Audioquest Diamondback RCA interconnects between pre-out 2 on the NAD C 370 and the inputs on the EAC
* Audioquest Diamondback RCA interconnects between the outputs on the EAC and the pre-ins on the C 270
Well, that's about it! One of these days, I will probably upgrade the interconnects for the Ah! and 'A10 players, and I will probably upgrade the power cord on the '777ES (still using the stock cord), but not right away.
I can't wait to get the system set up. I'll post my thoughts when I do. Anyone else biamping?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I hooked up the C 270 today. In a word, wow! I am thrilled with the biamp set-up. Absolutely incredible! There is so much more depth and information conveyed than with the C 370 integrated amp alone. I have spent a good part of today playing music that I am very familiar with, and I continually find myself shaking myself in amazement by the sound quality. I have decided to take the Energy subwoofer out of the chain. Thus, I don't use the Energy Active Crossover any longer. The bass is fine without it. So, I am using a standard biamp set-up. I am running RCA cables from pre-out 2 on the C 370 to the fixed-level inputs on the C 270. Sweet sounds! :)

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Hey Keith!

Glad you're enjoying it. I have a C340 that I'm using for non-stereo purposes, but I did use it for that before, and it's fantastic!

Too bad NAD isn't more well known.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Richard, thanks. You said:

Too bad NAD isn't more well known
I agree. NAD doesn't have much of a presence in the home-theater market like Sony, Pioneer, Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, or Yamaha. NAD makes receivers and DVD players, but they aren't well known. In the stereo arena, NAD tends to be overlooked as well. For one thing, many people are moving away from stereo to home theater. Secondly, audiophiles tend to look at higher-priced equipment than what is offered in NAD's Classic Series. So, NAD doesn't get a lot of attention from the home theater crowd or the audiophiles. I guess another thing that doesn't help matters is that NAD Classic Series components are ugly. To me, that is part of their appeal. It's what is under the hood that counts in the end. It is true that the British magazines continually laud NAD stereo amps and CD players, and even Stereophile gave the C 370 a good review for the price in its January issue. So NAD does get some acclaim from time to time. Well known or not to the masses, NAD makes some great gear.

Chris_B

Grip
Keith,

I picked up a C270 recently to use with my new 555ES. I am currently only running 2 channel music out of the 555ES. I found that using the C270 variable line inputs, that I didn't need to quickly buy a prepro and get the most out of SACDs. Running the 555ES strait into the C270 sounds great. This is a very nice 2 channel amp. Some of my friends have had NAD gear for years and it has lived up to its no frills, great performance reputation.

Best,

Chris

David_D_C

Agent
I have a few NAD pieces and I love them. I don't know how anyone can say they look ugly. The flat matte gray gives them a very distinct look. I think several companies even try to capture the distinct look. Compare pictures of Outlaw and AMC gear to NAD and I think you'll see some similarities.:D

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Keith:

Well, originally I got the c340 to power a pair of MMGs, but I sold those off. Then I used it to power a pair of Event monitors. Now I'm using it to power a Behringer PA style speaker for my Johnson J-station (guitar processor). It's really more than I need for those purposes, but I have it so why not use it?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

I have thought about trying my C 270 alone with some of my front-end components, but I am so thrilled by the sound of the biamp set-up, that I am in no rush to change anything. Still, my curiosity may get the better of me someday. I could use the fixed level inputs with one CD player that has volume control and the variable inputs with other components. Could be fun.

David,

I feel NAD components are rather drab (not counting the Silver Series), but as I said, that is part of their appeal to me. A common criticism I read about NAD components is that they are ugly. Again, it is what's under the hood that counts, and NAD stereo amps have it where it counts.

Richard,

Makes sense. I agree with you. You have a great integrated amp in the C 340, so you might as well make good use of it.

Users who are viewing this thread