What's new

I'm getting Spirited Away with the LE Ghibli DVD Player! (1 Viewer)

Jeremy

Stunt Coordinator
From today's Studio Brief:
The Walt Disney company has been slapped with the equivalent of a class action suit in Japan by buyers of the DVD version of the animated film Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi who claim that a heavy red tone that infuses the picture ruins it, the Mainichi Shimbun reorted today (Tuesday). the lawsuit demands that Disney's Buena Vista Home Entertainment, which has sold three million copies of the film since July, replace the faulty copies. The company has posted a message on its Japanese site denying that the DVD is defective.
Not yet published but available soon at: IMDB

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Well. I've watched the R2 (2 Disc) NTSC Japanese Spirited Away DVD a few time recently. And I didn't notice a reddish tint. Even though, other forumites here and yonder have kept talking about it. Even as I watch it now, it doesn't stick out or bother me and usually little shit like that does.

I read one place where it was said it was intended, other places say it is not. The newer versions (French etc) is said to have the reddish tint too.

At this point, IMHO, buy it and if it bugs you use your controls on the DVD player (if you can) to shift the tint. But I swear if you watch it, you won't notice it or care.

MY $0.02 only.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I've seen this in the theater (brand new print), and the R2 DVD, and the red tint on the DVD is just terrible (ISF calibrated set).

The class-action lawsuit over this defective DVD doesn't surprise me one bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks