I'm getting Spirited Away with the LE Ghibli DVD Player!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Jue, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Peter Jue

Peter Jue Stunt Coordinator

Hahaha, Amazon Japan slipped and actually shipped me Spirited Away with the Ghibli DVD player!!! [​IMG] I ordered it last night on a whim and it actually went through. I cannot wait to get my hands on that cute DVD player. The ironic thing is that my order for the regular edition still hasn't shipped yet. Crossing my fingers it'll get here on Monday. It's the one listedhere

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I hope they get enough of them to fill your order

3. Peter Jue

It's already on a DHL flight as we speak. [​IMG] I guess whoever processed my order musta been real drunk the night before because Amazon Japan is not supposed to ship DVD players, video games, and adult stuff.

4. Jeff Kleist

lucky bastard [​IMG]

5. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

I just ordered a few Miyazaki DVDs as well. Does anyone know how long express shipping from Amazon Japan is to the US?

6. Jeff Kleist

If it's like what CD Japan uses (EMS), then 3 days here to PA

7. Rich P

Rich P Stunt Coordinator

Depends on which form of shipping you used.

Express DHL will take about 2-4 days.
    Economy will take about 2-3 weeks.

Both times are shorter than Amazon's estimates and I can confirm that as I have just used both methods for delivery to the USWC.

The Express DHL package was shipped Wednesday night and is scheduled to be delivered by DHL today (Friday).

The Harry Potter DVD I ordered economy took about 10 days to the USWC, so a few extra days to get to Texas.

8. Peter Jue

Holy crap it came this morning(from Tokyo to DC in 24 horus)!!! The entire package is just too sweet; it's too bad I don't have a digital camera to take pictures. It came in a brown box that is drawn like a wooden box. It comes with two remotes-a kid's version shaped like a brown acorn and a regular green remote (with all standard features). The totoro button on the acorn remote is not for the main menu, it is the power button. Likewise, the totoro button on the DVD player itself is the power button and they eyes light up red when it's on. Kawaii!!! It also comes with 4 AA batteries, which have Studio Ghibli stamped on them.

The DVD player has only composite and S-Video output. No component and definitely not progessive. It does output DTS though. When you turn the player on, the Studio Ghibli logo comes on with a green background. It has very fast DVD playback as soon as it recogizes the disc. The setup menu has a English option and all the usual features. The actual transport is solid and isn't flimsy like my Samsung DVD player. Playback is only region 2 and I have no idea if it can be modded or hacked.

Video quality is very good if not excellent (at least for an interlace player). Anamorphic downconversion was pretty good, not soft as Sony or harsh like Toshiba; about the same level as Pioneer. It handled the layer change very well; it was not noticeable. For people wondering about the transfer of Spirited Away, it definitely has a noticeable redish tint. Oh, it also has a bit rate meter (no numbers though, there is only a bar and it indicates Lo/Med/High). It did come with the limited rice ball model.

All in all, domo arigato Amazon Japan!!! This is a very sweet package and will now be my primary region 2 DVD player (I have an all-region Samsung, but this is just too cute). I definitely don't regret buying this! Someone send me a digital camera so I can take pictures

9. Peter Jue

BTW, for anyone getting the Spirited Away DVD, someone really screwed up the transfer. It has an extreme red tint that is fixable if you set your tv to cool and tone down the picture setting. Just play around with it. It's a pain in the butt, but it works. Visit here for more info. It affects the Taiwanese Region 3 release as well (confirmed), but I'm not so sure about the Hong Kong Region 3 release. Hopefully it'll be fixed, but exchanging discs would be a royal PITA.

10. Jeff Kleist

All the new DVDs were authored by the same people in Japan

I have to wonder if the movie was intended to look like this by Miyazaki, at least on video. I seem to remember the trailers having a lot of red in them, and I REALLY doubt that he'd let it out the door.

11. Peter Jue

Hey Jeff, have you received it yet? It's a great DVD except for the transfer problem. You may be right about that; I think final judgment should be reserved until we get an official statement. However, if you watch the trailer on disc 2, you'll notice that the red tint is not present. I think someone else at AoD also noticed that the Spirited Away trailer on the R2 Porco Rosso DVD also had the red tint. So it could go either way.

12. Michael St. Clair

My wife saw the acorn DVD player in a magazine (Giant Robot or something or other) and wants it.

Too bad there are no component outputs. I guess it's strictly targeted as a 'kids' player, since even the cheapest of cheap 'regular' players ($60-$100 models from Apex, Koss, etc) almost always have component outputs.

Some people are already calling for Disney blood over the color balance of the DVD, but I don't believe for a second that Ghibli does not sign off on at least the transfer, if not the mastered DVD itself.

13. Peter Jue

It definitely is targeted towards kids, especially if it is missing componenet video out. Also, when I insert a region 1 or region 3 disc, the error message spits out an error message that asks me to seek "daddy & mummy's assistance"! [​IMG]

14. Jeff Kleist

My copy of the R3 version will be shipping sometime next week with another disc I ordered(I figure we'll have the R1 disc by next spring). I checked the Japanese Porco Rosso disc and it does have the red tint

15. Peter Jue

Jeff, how's your Japanese reading skill? Mine is pretty bad and a link at this site claims that Miyazaki and the DP supervised the transfer and wanted this color tone?!!? I was wondering if someone with far better Japanese language skills could take a look and confirm. I ran it through the Arcnet and Excite Japan translators and most of it was nonsensical.

16. Jeff Kleist

Not good enough

Through looking at it myself, and babelfishing all I can see is that BVHE-J is "examining the problem"

Gee, a 6 million disc recall, ouch.

17. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

Should I cancel my order at Amazon, or do you really think it's better to go ahead and get the disc and tweak the colors on my TV?

18. Michael St. Clair

If I remember correctly, R3 imports of discs like Kiki and Porco Rosso were poorly encoded and used DVD-5 instead of DVD-9 for the movie discs (R2 used DVD-9). Then the R3 discs were remastered and looked much better (not sure how much problem was the bitspace and how much was the encoding).

I'd love to know how 'Spirited Away' and the aforementioned reissues compare to the current R2 discs. And frankly, I don't trust all of the anime forums out there, because there is often a subjective bias against anything that doesn't come from Japan.

19. Peter Jue

Hi Richard, the red tint isn't THAT bad. It is definitely fixable. Personally, I would still get the DVD. Do you really want to wait for Disney to shuffle its feet and probably release it theatrically next year?

Hey Michael, I have the Taiwanese R3 versions of Totoro, Kiki, and Porco Rosso. Totoro has less EE than the R2 version and it has true subtitles instead of dubtitles on the R2. Kiki is comparable to the R2-it has slightly less EE and it also has true subs. I've never seen the R2 of Porco Rosso so I can't do a comparison, but the transfer is excellent.

All of Ghibli's DVDs are anamorphic if the OAR is widescreen. As for IVL's R3 Hong Kong releases, I don't trust them as they've already screwed up so many times and there are still defective copies sitting on shelves (they didn't bother marking the fixed copies). I would stay far away from their releases until someone has reviewed them and confirmed its quality.

I would have gone with the BV Taiwan R3 releases for Whisper of the Heart and Spirited Away, but I think BV Japan wisened up and forced them to stop including English subs on further Taiwan R3 DVD releases. You get a transfer that is ported from the R2 disc which is comparable/slightly better and all the extras on the R2 discs for half the price.

20. Michael St. Clair

Peter,

I did not realize there were multiple R3 releases (Taiwan, and Hong Kong), so I'm even more in the dark than I realized.

What is a good place to pick up the Taiwan versions?