I'm getting closer to total convergence!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Vivek_IVB, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Vivek_IVB

Vivek_IVB Stunt Coordinator

No question here, but i'm pretty excited, need to share with people who also share the same passion.

I was asked to write a free downloadable skin for my HA/HT package for someone who wants to do something very similar to my art-based HTPC, but thinks those screens are too busy. I decided to use this as an oppty to integrate all those devices in new screens that I've been lollygagging on.

With the below screens, I can now do multisource/multizone HT(denon status&control/dvd/hd/tv/xm/4 different mp3 streams)throughout the house, HA (HVAC, in a few days irrigation, in a few months security&lighting), and a host of misc other activities like live traffic webcams.

I forgot to put a weather radar image on the weatherchannel.com screen, but i'll do that. There's also a few other misc usability improvements, but this is pretty cool stuff!

Oh man, i'm soooo close to complete convergence for a dirt-cheap $$ amount (probably

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    soon, you'll have no reason to leave the house! [​IMG] looks great.

CJ

3. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Vivek:

Looks great. I would like to see the one that come up with for your own system.

What did you use to create the menu system?

4. Vivek_IVB

Vivek_IVB Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the compliments.

Check my personal website in my sig for all the art-based screens that I use. I haven't yet extended it to complete A/V multizone [i do have 2zone audio though]. I have to admit that I have grown to truly dislike the art I chose for the audio, but I've been too lazy to find another piece of art that I prefer.

For the menu's, I use a Home Automation/Home Theater package called Charmed Quark (that's the logo in the middle). It's a combined front-end(GUI painting)/back-end(hw and sw device control) package. The inherent advantage of that type of architecture is that there's no "integration" between a front-end like xLobby or MainLobby, and a back-end like HomeSeer or plug-ins. Everything is native, which means all of this stuff is rock-solid and trivial to configure.

For me, ease of building & maintenance, usability, & stability are paramount, as I have complete non-techies who need to putz around the house. They're baffled by techology, so simplicity and approachability is paramount [hence the art-based screens].

Those screens only took me 20-30 minutes each to create as it's a drag&drop system - i.e., no programming. Well, the multizone one was harder. There's so many widgets, that took 2 hours to get everything aligned and looking pretty.