What's new

I'm getting closer to total convergence! (1 Viewer)

Vivek_IVB

Stunt Coordinator
No question here, but i'm pretty excited, need to share with people who also share the same passion.

I was asked to write a free downloadable skin for my HA/HT package for someone who wants to do something very similar to my art-based HTPC, but thinks those screens are too busy. I decided to use this as an oppty to integrate all those devices in new screens that I've been lollygagging on.

With the below screens, I can now do multisource/multizone HT(denon status&control/dvd/hd/tv/xm/4 different mp3 streams)throughout the house, HA (HVAC, in a few days irrigation, in a few months security&lighting), and a host of misc other activities like live traffic webcams.

I forgot to put a weather radar image on the weatherchannel.com screen, but i'll do that. There's also a few other misc usability improvements, but this is pretty cool stuff!

Oh man, i'm soooo close to complete convergence for a dirt-cheap $$ amount (probably

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Vivek:

Looks great. I would like to see the one that come up with for your own system.

What did you use to create the menu system?

Vivek_IVB

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the compliments.

Check my personal website in my sig for all the art-based screens that I use. I haven't yet extended it to complete A/V multizone [i do have 2zone audio though]. I have to admit that I have grown to truly dislike the art I chose for the audio, but I've been too lazy to find another piece of art that I prefer.

For the menu's, I use a Home Automation/Home Theater package called Charmed Quark (that's the logo in the middle). It's a combined front-end(GUI painting)/back-end(hw and sw device control) package. The inherent advantage of that type of architecture is that there's no "integration" between a front-end like xLobby or MainLobby, and a back-end like HomeSeer or plug-ins. Everything is native, which means all of this stuff is rock-solid and trivial to configure.

For me, ease of building & maintenance, usability, & stability are paramount, as I have complete non-techies who need to putz around the house. They're baffled by techology, so simplicity and approachability is paramount [hence the art-based screens].

Those screens only took me 20-30 minutes each to create as it's a drag&drop system - i.e., no programming. Well, the multizone one was harder. There's so many widgets, that took 2 hours to get everything aligned and looking pretty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks