I'm finally getting rid of my Bose!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lawrence, Jan 13, 2002.

1. Lawrence

Lawrence Agent

Long before I started visiting this forum in 1998, I had purchased a Bose Accoustimass 6 system for surround sound. I live in a small apartment and wanted to have a system that was discrete yet produced large sound. For that purpose, they have served me very well.

I have upgraded practically every component of my system over the past three years thanks to advice and feedback from this forum. I even jumped into SACD. I've known for a while that the Bose setup was less than stellar, but after spending $700 for it I couldn't bring myself to upgrade. I added a separate powered subwoofer that helped tremedously, but I still wanted a little more without having to pay big bucks.

So as I type 4 Klipsch quintets and a Klipsch KSCC1 Center Channel are on their way to me from Ubid, and I paid $300 for the entire setup. My question is this: Will I notice a drastic difference? Audioreview.com has some mixed reviews, but I recall people around here really liking them a couple years ago.

Did I do good or did I just throw $300 out the window for the same small satellite sound I have been trying to upgrade from?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm not familiar with the quintets, but if they at least have a separate mid and tweeter, then it is an upgrade. What about the sub?

3. Lawrence

Lawrence Agent

They do indeed. Here's a photo:
    [​IMG]

4. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

Congratulations.

The Quintets are a nice step up. Although I do not own a set, I have heard them in a theater setup and questioned whether what I was hearing was coming from those speakers.

5. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

The Quintets will be a night and day difference from the Bose, trust me, you will be very happy with them. Enjoy

6. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Yes...you will hear a difference.

Klipsch makes good speakers and I use the Klipsch Pro Media set-up for my gaming computer. They are easily the best that you can get for a computer, plug and play. MaximumPC has given BOTH the Promedia 4.1 and 5.1 sets a Perfect 10 "Kick Ass" award. They have a pretty good rating's system and don't deliver a lot of bullshit in their reviews.

For Home Theater purposes, you did well. On the SACD front, the speakers will still lack a bit because they are not full range...but if you liked what you heard with your Bose set-up....you will appreciate your NEW sound all the more. The good thing about the set-up you purchased is that you will always be able to use them. If you upgrade your speakers down the road in your main HT system, move the Quintets to another room or to your computer.

Congrats, and good move.

Jeremy

7. Lawrence

Lawrence Agent

Well, they arrived yesterday and went up today, and WOW, what a difference. The sound is crisper and less muddled, with better differentiation of the treble range. I'm actually running them through the Bose accoustimass as I don't believe it filters out bass and as I'm too lazy to re-wire at the time. Thanks to all for your input and to all you Bose owners: Update NOW! You have no idea what you're missing...