I'm finally finished...

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ZoranM, Feb 9, 2004.

1. ZoranM

ZoranM Stunt Coordinator

At least phase 1A is finished, I think that once you get the HT bug you never finish, there is something you can always improve on or evolve.

Anyway I just thought I would post some pix of the new Cantina in my basement. I owe so much to this forum and the AVS forum for the information/help I was able to get. (not to mention the inspiration to take the plunge in the first place). You will notice from the pix that it is a multi use room, I have four kids, plus we like to entertain so the room had to serve a few different purposes.

The link to the pix is: http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/z_h_too

then just go to the Our Cantina folder. If anyone recognizes the "red color" on the walls from another HT room it's because it is "Cranberry Zing" which another member had used and my wife and I loved.

And thanks again to everyone for being part of such an awesome group that really helped make me realize what/how I needed to do.

cheers,

Zed

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Cool, Zed. I like the "cantina" theme to the bar area. Makes me thirsty for a margarita right now... wait a minute, I'm always thirsty for a margarita!

Anyway, where'd you get the Scarface and Godfather pictures? I was looking at making something like that myself by buying some multi-picture frames and printing out some colored screen shots.

3. ZoranM

ZoranM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Dave, gotta love Margaritas.

As for the Scarface/Godfather shadow boxes, the wife and I saw a Scarface shadowbox at a Frame shop that had a picture if Scarface in the bath tub in one frame and a cigar in another with a brass plaque. It looked really nice and was done very well, but it also cost $185 cdn. So we (actually my wife) said let's try and make one ourselves. This is what it entailed:

1)we went to a local craft store that had shadow boxes for sale and we saw they were on special so we picked up 2 of them (cost was $35 CA each).
    2)Then I took my DVD's of both movies and screencapped them with PowerDVD 5 (cost was free since I already owned them).
    3)went and had the quotes engraved at a local engraving shop on Brass plaques(cost was $12 CA each with the plaque included).
    4)got a small ziplock bag from a jewelry store (for free) and dried a rose from some flowers I had recently bought my wife.
    5)sized the pix in photoshop and printed them on some nice thick and bright paper
    6) picked up the satin looking fabric from Walmart, only need a little bit. (cost $1.25)
    7) filled the baggie with...ummm backing soda...yeah thats right ummm...baking soda. (had some in the fridge so cost free)
    8) mounted it all together inside the boxeas with some pins, double sided tape, and scotch tape.

total cost for both was $95.25 CA (about $70 US) which was awesome because it was basically half the price of the one we saw in the shop and we got 2 out of it. Anyway hope that helps.

cheers,

Zed

4. ZoranM

ZoranM Stunt Coordinator

Oh and Dave that's a sweet looking Shiva you built.

cheers,

Zed

5. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Looks like a FUN room Zed! I like the Cranberry Zing color too! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ZoranM

ZoranM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Erik, it was your beautiful E-Cinema HT room that made us decide on the Cranberry Zing.

cheers,

Zed

7. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

I figured that...I'm often referred to as "this or that other guy" quite often! [​IMG] :b [​IMG]

The most important thing...you're wife likes what you've done...that's HUGE! [​IMG]

Enjoy your new room!

8. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Thanks, Zed!

9. ZoranM

ZoranM Stunt Coordinator

Hi Dave,

Actually it's funny you mention the LOTR, I just bought a metal one ring replica off ebay that I am going to put in a shadow box. I haven't decided if I'm going to use a picture with it yet or not. I think I'll likely just have the elvish script from the ring translated onto a brass plaque below the ring and that's it.

cheers,

Zed