What's new

I'm embarrased to ask but what is DPL II? (1 Viewer)

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
Joe, I'm glad you asked because I was wondering if it is mind blowing enough to dump my Denon 3801 for a 3802 after only 8 months of use. :) I had no idea what the difference was.
------------------
Ivan Lindenfeld
I call it "Extreme Hometheater" Ask me about the Audi TT!

Captain Spaulding

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
What is DPL II? Overrated!
wink.gif

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i'm not real hyped on the format yet, but tbh, i haven't heard it yet.
my understanding is that it's really designed more for 2-channel "enhancement". i don't think anyone is expecting it to take-over/replace dolby digital or dts.
i guess it'll depend on whether you enjoy listening to 2-channel in it's native format, or if you like messing around with the signal.
most reviews i've read say it's pretty good. it's not overbearing like most of those dsp modes are.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
It's just a fancy DSP mode.
That's an accurate desciption. The problem is all the bad things that we've come to associate with "DSP modes". Like added reverberations and effects that weren't originally in the recording. DPL2 doesn't add anything to the material. Its just more accurate at directing the signal to appropriate channel than the original DPL.
The DD and DTS 6.1 matrix formats are just fancy DSP modes, too.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
I was wondering if it is mind blowing enough to dump my Denon 3801 for a 3802 after only 8 months of use.
Neo 6 Cinema, sounds just fine to me compared to DPL II. I only use it for TV sources anyway, so far.
I wonder if Denon will use DPL II to replace their Neo 6.
Im keeping my 3801.
------------------
Robert.jpg
"Charlie don't surf."

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
I was wondering if it is mind blowing enough to dump my Denon 3801 for a 3802 after only 8 months of use.
Neo 6 Cinema, sounds just fine to me compared to DPL II. I only use it for TV sources anyway, so far.
Im keeping my 3801.

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Im keeping my 3801.
------------------
Robert.jpg
"Charlie don't surf."

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
Dolby Pro Logic II is similar to the original Pro Logic. It offers 2 main advantages.
1. Works with any 2 channel source, not just Dolby Surround encoded.
2. It provides seperate left and right full range signals to the rear speakers rather than a single frequency limited signal.
For Dolby Surround encoded material, it provides better channel seperation than Pro Logic, but not to the level of DD or dts which are discrete formats.
For music, it widens the soundfield. The whole room fills with sound. The surrounds do not draw attention to themselves, they serve to widen the soundfield as mentioned. After listening to DPL II for a bit, I wondered what the big deal was. I then switched back to plain old stereo mode. It seemed like half the sound disappeared and the front speakers became very noticeable and localized.
I personally like the way DPL II makes my music sound.

JakeG

Auditioning
About a week and a half ago, I got my Onkyo 595, and watched Star Trek 6 (VHS) with it. I haven't really heard a lot of old Pro-Logic, but with Pro Logic II, I could definately tell that the surround channels were in stereo. I thought it was great. Although since I haven't heard old pro-logic, I really can't judge how much better it is than that. But, it sounds great with music too.
___
Jake

JaleelK

Second Unit
Joe, I'm glad you asked because I was wondering if it is mind blowing enough to dump my Denon 3801 for a 3802 after only 8 months of use. I had no idea what the difference was.
------------------
Is a format, in my opinion, thats taking audio a step backwards. Its an attempt by Dolby Labs to breath some life into an obsolete audio format, which is matrix surround sound.

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
hmmm Chris around somewhere..??
***waiting with my SPL meter in hand ***
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

GregK

Screenwriter
I suppose if all one ever listens to is DD or DTS 5.1
sound, and you avoid all 2-channel broadcast, VHS, and
music material, DPL-II would be a non-issue.
But if a person would like to enjoy all of the above in
the best surround presentation possible (you know ..when
those discrete DD & DTS discs aren't playing) then DPL-II
can be a very attractive option.
Again, DPL-II should not be considered 'a step backward',
or a 'competing format'. I'll enjoy my DVDs in discrete
5.1, but when I go the two channel DVD supplements, menus,
music and so forth, I'll be glad DPL-II is on board.
Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks