What's new

I'm eating antacids like candy... is that bad? (1 Viewer)

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I've had heartburn for the last week now and even antacids aren't helping! I know that too much stomach acid can burn the esophageal sphincter that closes the esophagus to the stomach. So, my question is, will eating a lot of antacids reverse the effect of reducing acids or something like that? Should I see a doctor. Remember, I'm a guy so seeing the doctor is a rarity.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
doesn't it say on the package that if symptoms persist for more than XX days to see a doc? :)

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Yep, looking at the package now it says to not eat more than 10 a day and no longer than 2 weeks.
Well, I twice exceeded that limit in the past 20 minutes.
Of course, I'm the guy that buys Primatene Mist (model killer) and uses it 35 times a day when it says don't exceed 6 puffs. But hey, how else am I gonna smoke in peace!
------------------
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Brad_W on November 01, 2001 at 09:34 PM]

Wayne Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
Toss the antacids and try liquid Gaviscon. It is the best on the market for acid reduction and it prevents acid from coming back up your throat.
How long have you had the acid? Is it a new thing or is it chronic? There are a bunch of factors but scientists have descovered that a bacteia called H. pylori causes most chronic acid problems.
A 2 week course of antibiotics (these buggers are horse pills) and many people are cured. My dad and sis had H. Pylori and serious acid, I have the serious acid and no HP.
There is a blood test for it
Wayne
ps email me direct if you want more info

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
After awhile those antacids can be counterproductive.
See a doctor. Instead of pouring antacid on the acid you've already produced, you may need something like Prilosec to keep you from creating the excess acid in the first place.
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Yes, you can get prilosec or prevacid from your doctor. They are both purple pills but are a bit expensive.
You may want to try Zantac 75. I use it regularly and it really helps. You may want to see the spicy food thread about some other ideas.
And yes, the antacids won't help that much either.
------------------
------ Dave ------
------------------
Link Removed

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Brad, go see a doctor. Don't want to sound like an alarmist, but recurring heartburn shouldn't be taken lightly. My mom had excess stomach acid for years and had an upper G.I. It showed that she had early onset of a condition called Barrett's esophagus...a condition that could increase her risk of contracting esophageal cancer by over 12,000%.
frown.gif
Sounds flaky? Check here . She's on Prevacid now, so hopefully that will keep future health risks in check. Take it from her, it pays to have a doctor check things out.
------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Wayne Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
Prevacid rocks!!!!!! I've been on zantac, ranatidine, losec, and of course the candies....tums and rolaids.
Prevacid is pricey without a drug plan but I can eat anything I like now.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Hmm...antacids not working for a few weeks...go see a doc..better safe than sorry. Lots of complications could result from acid reflux most grave is CANCER...but that's a bit extreme. Suffice it to say, being a man is cool but eating thru a tube running up up nose or worse thru ur tummy is definitely something inhu-man.
tongue.gif
Hope I've scared u enuff to go now.
------------------
Eric Samonte
Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

Brad_W

Screenwriter
all right all right! sheessh! I'll go see a doctor!!!
Just kidding, well, not about seeing a doctor.
Thanks for all the help/tips/advice/stories.
:)
PS, I still have the heartburn, but not as badly since I lowered my intake of Soda Pop.
------------------
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks