1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm Done Upgrading...For Now!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by David-A, Nov 20, 2003.

1. David-A

David-A Auditioning

Well...

After much reading, many telephone calls and a lot of driving, I'm done upgrading my system for now. As some of you may remember, my quest started when I had the opportunity to upgrade my Pioneer Elite VSX-26TX AV receiver to a 53TX at a VERY substantial discount a couple of months ago, thanks to Pioneer customer service. I had been using the 26TX with the Polk RM6500 satellite system for 4 years.

I started my speaker upgrade at the beginning of this month. For a total investment of a whopping $898.63, which includes tax, I have upgraded my speakers to all new (2) RTi70 fronts, (1) CSi30 center, (2) RTi38 surrounds and (1) PSW404 sub, I kid you not I'll either be selling the RM6500 system on ebay or give it to my 14 yr old son.

After a little dallying, I have all speakers set to "small", the sub connected to the LFE ouput and the receiver x-over set to 100hz, pretty straightforward. I really like this arrangement, I have much more flexibility than I had with the sub in the RM6500 system connected using the "Polk method." With the x-over set to 80hz, the bottom end sounded weak, at 100 hz, it sounds rich and full. The RTi70's are biwired, I did that a week ago and it DID make a slight improvement. I was also amazed that moving a speaker just one inch makes a difference in the soundstage! I have the fronts toed-in somewhere between a 5 and 10 degree angle. I have the volume control on the sub set at ~10:30 and the sub level on the receiver was automatically set to +0.5. Using the RS analog SPL meter, with the receiver volume at reference level, the sub seems to be around 77-78 dB. The Pioneer MCACC is absolutely incredible.

Other than maybe messing around with the wiring (heavier gauge) and speaker placement and positioning, I AM DONE! It's time to enjoy what I have for several years. I had to get this out of the way before I got married (it appears the ex and I are going to remarry) so I don't have to worry about the WF.

2. John S

John S Producer

Done?? sure sure thats what we all say... lol
    Sounds like a nice system for sure.

I know it is the wrong forum, but what Display are you using again?? Just so I get a full mental picture here.. lol

3. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Blah blah blah blah blah.....

Yeah he is done just like the rest of have said in the past[​IMG]

4. David-A

David-A Auditioning

Arrrgggggggg, you just had to bring that up, didn't you!

I have a Toshiba 43" analog that's three years old. I don't plan on going digital for 2 more years. I did A LOT of comparison before I bought the Toshiba though, and it has a great picture.

5. John S

John S Producer

Ahhh, so your not really done... lol

2 years isn't so far away.... better start reseaching now... lol

I decided to take the HDTV plunge as just two days ago I placed my order, and I feel like I am behind the times on it.

Can I get an overview of your speaker placement as well???
    I mount my surrounds at cieling level and get what I would call great results.

My sub has what should be considered bad or even the worst placement, but seems to rock along well. I have it in the corner of two large furniture pieces the intersect in the middle of the room. The furniture must make a good enough corner though, as it performs outstandingly.