1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm Done Upgrading...For Now!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by David-A, Nov 20, 2003.

1. David-A

David-A Auditioning

Well...

After much reading, many telephone calls and a lot of driving, I'm done upgrading my system for now. As some of you may remember, my quest started when I had the opportunity to upgrade my Pioneer Elite VSX-26TX AV receiver to a 53TX at a VERY substantial discount a couple of months ago, thanks to Pioneer customer service. I had been using the 26TX with the Polk RM6500 satellite system for 4 years.

I started my speaker upgrade at the beginning of this month. For a total investment of a whopping $898.63, which includes tax, I have upgraded my speakers to all new (2) RTi70 fronts, (1) CSi30 center, (2) RTi38 surrounds and (1) PSW404 sub, I kid you not I'll either be selling the RM6500 system on ebay or give it to my 14 yr old son.

After a little dallying, I have all speakers set to "small", the sub connected to the LFE ouput and the receiver x-over set to 100hz, pretty straightforward. I really like this arrangement, I have much more flexibility than I had with the sub in the RM6500 system connected using the "Polk method." With the x-over set to 80hz, the bottom end sounded weak, at 100 hz, it sounds rich and full. The RTi70's are biwired, I did that a week ago and it DID make a slight improvement. I was also amazed that moving a speaker just one inch makes a difference in the soundstage! I have the fronts toed-in somewhere between a 5 and 10 degree angle. I have the volume control on the sub set at ~10:30 and the sub level on the receiver was automatically set to +0.5. Using the RS analog SPL meter, with the receiver volume at reference level, the sub seems to be around 77-78 dB. The Pioneer MCACC is absolutely incredible.

Other than maybe messing around with the wiring (heavier gauge) and speaker placement and positioning, I AM DONE! It's time to enjoy what I have for several years. I had to get this out of the way before I got married (it appears the ex and I are going to remarry) so I don't have to worry about the WF.

2. John S

John S Producer

Done?? sure sure thats what we all say... lol
    Sounds like a nice system for sure.

I know it is the wrong forum, but what Display are you using again?? Just so I get a full mental picture here.. lol

3. ScottCarr

ScottCarr Second Unit

Blah blah blah blah blah.....

Yeah he is done just like the rest of have said in the past[​IMG]

4. David-A

David-A Auditioning

Arrrgggggggg, you just had to bring that up, didn't you!

I have a Toshiba 43" analog that's three years old. I don't plan on going digital for 2 more years. I did A LOT of comparison before I bought the Toshiba though, and it has a great picture.

5. John S

John S Producer

Ahhh, so your not really done... lol

2 years isn't so far away.... better start reseaching now... lol

I decided to take the HDTV plunge as just two days ago I placed my order, and I feel like I am behind the times on it.

Can I get an overview of your speaker placement as well???
    I mount my surrounds at cieling level and get what I would call great results.

My sub has what should be considered bad or even the worst placement, but seems to rock along well. I have it in the corner of two large furniture pieces the intersect in the middle of the room. The furniture must make a good enough corner though, as it performs outstandingly.