I'm digging Media Player 9

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shawn C, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

..I've been using Windows Media Player 9 for a couple weeks now, and I gotta say, it's pretty darn nice. I've been copying a bunch of my CD's into 192k .WMA files and they actually sounds pretty darn nice.

I REALLY like the fact that it will let you copy from the CD and listen to your music at the same time. It will start copying from the CD, and then start playing the tracks that it has copied. It's not a big technical leap, but it is a nice feature not having the wait around for the copy to finish before you can listen.

I don't have any intention on copying the music to any sort of portable device or anything, so the .WMA format is perfect for me.

I've also noticed this "Windows Media Audio Professional" compression that it says is mathematically lossless.

2. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

I downloaded Windows Media Player 9 Beta yesterday.
    http://microsoft.com/windows/windows...ies/player.asp
    So far, I'm impressed. Some improvements I've noticed over WMP 8:
    New file format: Windows Media Audio Lossless uses 206 to 411 MB per CD (470 to 940 Kbps). Mathematically lossless. I can hear the improvement over WMA 192 Kbps.
    It will now play tracks ripped from a CD in which the sound is continuous from one track to the next without a gap between those tracks (no interruption during live performances, for example). Excellent! It even works on WMA tracks ripped with the previous version.
    WMP 8 sometimes cut off the beginning of a track. This appears to be fixed in WMP 9.
    I think that this player may be good enough to use as a music server in my living room. Much more advanced than a mega CD changer: Automatically downloads album info; catalogs music by artist, album, genre; creates playlists, etc. Get a big hard drive, connect the output of your soundcard to your receiver (preferably via SPDIF) and you have the ultimate jukebox.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

It still looks like it clutters up the screen with useless menu tabs and big borders. [​IMG] I know the new versions have a compact mode but I hate how it breaks off into 2 pieces. I really want to like all the new features but I still think 6.4 is the best version. Simple and no clutter.

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

5. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Don't forget that you can't uninstall it unless you use the rollback feature in XP. Cna't uninstall a beta program huh? Thanks but no thanks. I'll stick with Musicmatch Jukebox.

6. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Question: Does WMP 9 change the way that the "previous" button works? There are several software programs (WMP 8, Power DVD, etc.) that don't do "previous" the way we are accustomed. If I'm in the middle of track 7 and hit "previous" I want it to go back to the beginning of 7, but instead, these programs go to track 6.

7. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

How does Digital Rights Management factor into it?

8. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

Scott, you can hide the task bar, autohide the menu bar, minimize the player to a toolbar, and change the skin.

Brian, the previous button still jumps to the previous track.

Todd,

"To turn off content protection when copying CDs
    1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
    2. Click the Copy Music tab.
    3. Clear the Protect content check box."

"Content protection is turned on by default to protect tracks copied from CDs from illegal distribution. This feature applies only to tracks copied from CDs to Media Library that are in Windows Media Audio format."