I'm dedicating a room for a decent home theater

u52ah

Auditioning
Real Name
Ali
Hello everyone,

well I have an office that's 4.5mx4.5m of size and 2.7m of height.

could anyone help me choose what size of HD TV should I use.. or should I use an HD projector? I have no idea what the difference would be between a Projector and a TV..

another thing is the Audio,, I am no Audiophile so something decent and not extremely advanced would do.. so any suggestions?

I am planning to connect my PC too so I don't know if current TVs have DVI connectors in them..

Any inputs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks..

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
Perfectly square rooms are a little difficult to work with in terms of acoustics, but it's still manageable. The first question I would have is how far back you plan on sitting from your screen. That will help determine how big of a screen you'll really want.

As far as display devices are concerned, there's lots of choices:

- Flat panel (plasma, LCD)
- Rear projection/microdisplay (DLP, LCoS, LCD, DiLA, SXRD, etc.)
- Front projection (DLP, LCoS, LCD, DiLA, SXRD, etc; requires a separate screen and a light-controlled room)

Your choice of display type will be largely determined on how you want it to look in the room and of course, your budget. For example, rear-projection sets are less expensive than flat panels, but they require more physical space. As far as flat panels are concerned, LCDs tend to have brighter pictures and less reflective screen surfaces than plasmas, but are not as color-accurate.

The audio side of the equation is a bit more mystifying. What's your budget (if you really know yet)?

u52ah

Auditioning
Real Name
Ali
Thanks nick for the informative reply..

well, Basically I am giving about $3000 for a TV, and about $1000 for audio..
I don't really care if the display is flat-pane or not. I care more about quality and smoothness of pictures,, if rear-projection is as good (or better) than flat-panels I'd go for them.

I'd probably be sitting about 1.5m from a wall of the opposite side, giving me about 3m of distance..

as I said a PC (DVI) input is really important for me too. coz I'd be using my (relatively) high-end PC for DVD,Divx,Games,Audio..etc
and I don't know if there's a big difference between 1080i and 1080p..

if anyone's interested in knowing.. My PC's specs are: Pentium Core 2 Duo E6600 cpu, 2GB Corsair ExtremeG DDR2 Rams, EVGA Nvidia Geforce 7950 512MB Graphics card (with Dual DVI connectors), 10,000rpm WesternDigital SATA harddrive, Built-In 7.1channel Audio output with regular "phone" jacks inputs.

Cheers..

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo