i'm cornfused

Discussion in 'Displays' started by SeanH, Jul 19, 2004.

1. SeanH

SeanH Auditioning

Ok I need some help here...not just mental...haha... anyways, I was looking at buying one of the samsung dlp televisions that say they are hdtv but then you go to the Samsung website and it says that you need a seperate tuner. Hopefully that just means for Direct Tv users like myself I just need an HDTV sat box and the HD subscription....

Thanks

Sean

2. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

You are correct sir. You just need an HDTV tuner. A satellite HDTV tuner in your case. But, you do NOT need a separate tuner to watch standard definition programming on your HDTV.

3. John S

John S Producer

Yes, your Direct TV HD service / equipment, is the device the website is talking about.

4. SeanH

SeanH Auditioning

thank you very much

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Corn-fusion?

[​IMG]

6. SeanH

SeanH Auditioning

ooo its an old family joke about midwesterners and their inability to drive rv's in the mountains

7. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

I think you'll also need a new dish to get HD programming with Direct TV

Mort

8. SeanH

SeanH Auditioning

i hope not i got the fancy oval dish and the required 3 lnb's. 1 for local, 1 for regular and the middle 1 is for hd

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The triple LNB oval dish you already have is fine.

The set itself will only tune analog cable and ntsc over the air signals, it won't tune local digital, whether HD or SD.

All currently available DirecTV HD-capable receivers will also tune local analog cable or over-the-air signals as well as over-the-air local digital signals, both SD and HD.

When choosing a DirecTV HD-capable reciever I'd recommend one of those built by LG, as they have the best local ota digital reception. These are sold under the LG name, and the Sony HD-300 and Hughes HTL-HD are also LG built boxes.
    Avoid the Hughes E-86 and Toshiba DST-3000 no matter how cheap you find one--they overheat and fry their local digital tuners, which don't work very well even pre-frying.

10. micah bjj

micah bjj Stunt Coordinator

So if you get an HD ready tv or projector...get the Direct TV hd receiver box... do you still need to buy an HD receiver to go with what the dish company gives you?

11. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

No. The HD receiver from DirecTV will tune local ota ntsc and digital SD and HD signals as well as stuff off the satellite. It's the only receiver you need to buy. You will need to get an antenna for local ota reception as DirecTV does not carry any HD locals.