I'm convinced, NO HTIB, let's talk speakers.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Silver, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Mark Silver

Mark Silver Stunt Coordinator

I decided to start a new thread, so I could get some more opinions.

Everyone had convinced not to HTIB. I have gotten a consensus to buy an Onkyo 494 receiver.

Now for speakers, I have received a bunch of different opinions, my head is spinning. I don't have any right now, and I definitely want to get a center channel and a subwoofer. I've increased my budget a little bit. Assuming I now have $500-600 to play with let's start over with what my speaker options are.

2. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

JBL NSP1
    HTD Level 2 or 3
    Energy Take 5/Take 5.2?
    Those are almost the unanimous choices in budget speaker options. I'm not sure about the prices, check www.jandr.com for the JBL setup, HTD is direct-to-customer so I'm sure they have a website, and I'm not sure who sells the Energy setup.
    Try searching the archives on these three, you should find some useful information.

3. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Mark: I agree with Saurav, although I have no experience with the HTD speakers the JBL($299) will allow you to buy an inexpensive sub, like the Sony WM40, and I thought I was a nice 5.2 setup on the Hardware for sale forum for around $450 without subwoofer. Although I can't vouch for the seller or their gear, you might want to check it out.

4. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Ha! John Morris agreeing with me again. Don't think I didn't notice! I'm on to you!

5. Lee-c

Lee-c Second Unit

Mark,
    Hmm, if you could go about $750, you could get a pair of PSB minis. Fantastic speakers
    for a great price. [​IMG]

6. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Also check out the Acoustic Research HC6 Package..

You get 4 exact satelites a center and a sub for a MSRP of

$750.00 (And I am sure you can beat that price by at least

a hundred dollars by shopping the net)

I can not vouch for how the HC6 package sounds, but I have

AR's Hi-Res series and I love them.. If the HC6 is built as

good as the Hi-Res Series then they will make a sweet set of

speakers. Sound And Vision just gave the HC6 a very glowing

review.. So give them a listen when you audition the other's

mentioned.

7. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I'd go with the NSP-1 and SA-WM40 combo. For HT, it's the best deal for under $500, bar none.

8. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Mark,

Are you aware that the Onkyo 494 has no speaker distance adjustment? I really like Onkyo (I own a 696), but I recommend you consider a Denon 1602 for the same price range and features.

Brett,

I believe the review of the AR HC6 package is in the latest Perfect Sound magazine, not Sound & Vision.

David

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Do you have access to some wood working tools. I've recently got back onto the kick of DIY speakers. I built a sub (see sig) and nothing I could have got at retail can come close to it until you start to get around twice what it cost me to build.
    Check out http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_files/Projects2.htm
    You could do a pair of Dayton III and three Dayton II speakers. Then follow one of his sub designs, or ask around in the DIY section here for advice on a good driver and amp for a cheap sub.
    There is also his budget Dayton project where he lays out plans for 5 speakers at a cost of roughly $250.
    You could also check out http://www.speakerpage.com
    They have some nice cheap kits as well.
    These prices don't include the cabinets though, so you'll still have to buy some MDF (which is cheap). Then depending on how eleaborately you want to finish them, the cost can go up and up, or stay really low with just a simple paint job.
    There are a bunch of other possibilities on the web as well. Just ask around in the DIY section and do some google searching. Remember that the most important part of a speaker is the crossover network. The best drivers in the world will sound like crap with a bad crossover. And good crossover design can make really cheap drivers sound surprisingly good. Most of these kits are designed by people who really understand the black art of crossover design, which allows these cheap components to perform at a level main times there cost in the retail world.
    If crossover assemebly scares you (you don't have to design them to do this, just follow the diagrams supplied with the kits or project descriptions), several of the companies offering kits assemble the crossovers for you as part of the kit, or will do it for a minimal charge.
    That just leaves the wood working, if you have access to the tools, go for it. If not, the tools rapidly bring things out of your price range.
    Also you don't have to finish the speakers right away, leave them bare MDF and finish them when you have the money for a nice veneer or something. Then not only will they sound better than the retail you would have bought, they will look better too.

10. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

David,

Thanks for the correction..

11. John Morris

John Morris Guest

12. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Phase Techs. E-mail AMsound.com. They said they would ship me two pairs of the Teatro 4.5's for $400. Another $180 will get you a matching center channel (Teatro 6.5's). IMHO.

13. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

You say you're convinced? No HTIB? Really? How did that come about? Perhaps you ought to rethink this issue.

14. David Head

David Head Second Unit

Brett,
    You're welcome [​IMG]
    Norm,
    Although there are some nice entry level HTIB, the speakers and subs mentioned in this thread are a definite step up in quality and dynamics. Mark can assemble a better system the way he's going vs. a HTIB based on his budget.
    David

15. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

How about the Fluance speakers and the Adire Audio Rava?

16. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

17. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I second David Head's recommendation against the Onkyo 494. I own the 595, and it's killer... but the 494's lack of speaker delay settings makes it all but worthless for most real-world applications. Unless all of your speakers will be the exact same distance from the listening position, you DEFINITELY need to look elsewhere. The Denon would be a better choice for that price range. However, if you can step up to the Onkyo 595, you'd be very happy with that.

As for speakers, the HTD's are probably your best bet. The JBL and Energy speaker packages both fade out at about the same point -- 80hz -- which means if your receiver has the common 80hz crossover for bass management, you're going to miss out on bass information in the crossover range, even with all speakers set to small (because the crossover is not a brick wall and you need speakers rated +/-3db at least an octave below the crossover point). While the JBL and Energy packages are quite nice, the HTD's will extend lower and have a more natural transition across the crossover range.

18. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

That's what I was recommending to him on his last thread. I have personal experience with the Fluance AV-HTB system and came away quite impressed but with his budget I figured why stop at the AV-HTB when he can go for the Full range AV-5 fronts with the 8" drivers and the AV-4's (which are also floor standers but with 6" drivers) for the rears. They sell the matching center channel for $80.00 I think and throw in parts express 10" Dayton Sub for $100.00 and he's right and tight.
    Total cost was about $500.00 without shipping.
    Not too many people have floor standers surrounding them when they build their first HT system.
    Fluance Audio
    Parts Express Dayton 10" sub

19. Mark Silver

Mark Silver Stunt Coordinator

Alright,if I am choosing between Fluance and HTD Level 2s, what are the pros and cons of each. Is there a noticeable difference between the two or are we just talking better price at that point ?

20. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

I have never heard the Fluance AV-5's but I can vouch for the bottom of the line up being the AV-HTB and it has been stated on other threads by people who have peered curiously at the Fluance speakers and taken the leep, they sound much better than there price suggests. I can honestly say that they are built much better than any speakers at that price point. Made with MDF board and pretty good quality parts as well. They start out thin and cold at first but they open up and perform more like a $600.00 speaker as they break in IMO. Some people laugh at the price of these speakers suggesting that they must be crap but I don't see anyone questioning the quality and performance of a $370.00 sub by the name of SVS 2531-cs, especially when subs run into the thousands.

Before SVS and HSU Research, $370.00 could barely get you a bottom of the line Acoustic Research sub.

Do I own these speakers? No. Do I own anything by Fluance? No. However, I can say that after recommending these to 3 different friends and setting them up, I can say that for the money they will be hard to beat. For the grand total of $500.00 without shipping you can get the "higher rated" AV-5's and AV-4's, matching center channel with the Parts Express 10" Dayton sub and not look back.

Good Luck with whatever your choice is.