I'm Considering Axiom Speakers...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TerryHub, Feb 2, 2003.

1. TerryHub

TerryHub Stunt Coordinator

I've been looking at the Axiom website for some time and have had my eyes on the M22ti's with the VP150 center. I really like the idea of the M22ti's bookshelf design for use with speaker stands. The only issue is that by the time I get a nice set of speaker stands for around $100.00, I could justify the purchase of the M50ti's with large mid/woofers.

I have a large room and I'm looking for speakers that can handle the room. I'm currently running a pair of B&W DM600's and center. They do a great job, but with my SVS 20-39 PC+ on the way this week, I'm think I need new speakers now too.[​IMG]

I would appreciate any comments from other Axiom owners.

Thanks.

2. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

I had the same dilemma. I went from bookshelves to the towers. I bought the M60's. I figured that upgrading a year or two later would be senseless. I have been more than pleased with my Axioms.

3. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

When I was researching my Axiom purchase, I was lucky that a set of M50s were on the Factory Outlet site. The only problem is an extremely small scratch on the underside of one of the speakers (it needs to be on its side to see it) -- YMMV, but the Axiom Outlet is a pretty good way to make the price delta even less.

4. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

...better yet, call Marc at The Audioshop in Ottawa. You won't go wrong dealing with him.

5. Ben_Page

Ben_Page Auditioning

Just upgraded to M60s. The people at Axiom were great and so are the M60s, at that price I have never heard anything better.

6. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

You might want to consider going with the M60ti towers for a large room.

I also second the suggestion regarding Marc at Audioshop. Send him an e-mail and let him quote you a price....he usually can beat the price of buying from Axiom direct. As an added piece of info....if you forgo the 30-day trial period....the price is even cheaper. Ask him to quote you both ways.

7. TerryHub

I will e-mail Marc for the sake of curiosity. But can anyone comment on the M22's with the SVS. Many people seem to agree that the M60's are the way to go (this thread and some from weeks past), but the extra expense is crossing my budget line. The $400.00 M22's with $100.00 stands vs. the M50's at $620.00 is close enough, but the M60's at $800.00 I'm just not sure about. Do you really think with the SVS that I would still want the M60's? Would I be loosing something with the M22's in the low mid/bass spectrum just above 80Hz?

Thanks.

8. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

I've got M50s + SVS, and I don't think I'm missing anything. I've got far more volume than I need (shared walls mean reference level is just a pipe dream, anyway), and the sound quality is fantastic.

9. Douglas H.

Douglas H. Auditioning

I have M22s w/ Hsu VTF-2 (not SVS, but has also been very favorably reviewed) and am very pleased with the sound. The M22s are very open and accurate and the sub fills in the bottom beautifully for a rich, full sound with both 2 channel and home theater (have VP150 center and QS4 surrounds). I can't comment in a head to head with the M50s or M60s but certainly can endorse the combo of M22s with a quality sub as a great sounding option.

10. Ben_Page

Ben_Page Auditioning

Even though I went with M60s I still want/need a sub, I think most will agree on that point. And as stated above, try a third party dealer or wait for a factory outlet (aka b-stock) to become available for a lower price.

11. Dan_Whip

Dan_Whip Agent

Wait for a reply from Marc. I think you'll be suprised at how much lower his prices are. In the meantime, you might want to check out Dahlquist speakers. More than likely, Marc will mention those in his e-mail. Supposedly most people that come into his shop prefer the Dahlquist, and they are a good bit cheaper, also. But for the price, you can't go wrong with either brand.

12. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

I have the system you're describing, but with a 25-31PCi. It works beautifully. So beautifully that I spend most of my time listening to music not movies. Stands are not $100. I got mine at Parts Express, 18 inch ones with three legs in a triangle shape, for $30. Work great.

13. TerryHub

Here is what Marc at the Audioshop had to say:

"I would suggest that you narrow down your option to either the M22TiSe or the M60TiSe. Your SVS will fill in the difference in bass extension between the M22TiSe and the M50TiSe and you might find the M22TiSe will have a higher level of fidelity because of it's tighter, smaller box design; less cabinet colouration. Between the M22TiSe and the M60TiSe, the M60TiSe adds the midrange driver so you can expect a higher level of fidelity on voices because of that. Again though, the M22TiSe will have a slight advantage in it's neutral cabinet."

Thank you guys for recommending Marc. I havent been quoted as of yet, but his prompt e-mail response coupled with no push for anything but answers to my questions puts him at the top of my great retailers list.

I sent him another e-mail with additional questions. I'll see what he has to say; including the quote (no 30 day return policy though).

Thanks again for the info.

14. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Terry,

What size is your room that will be holding the new svs?

15. MikeMcGrew

MikeMcGrew Stunt Coordinator

I too, am considering the Axiom line and have been for some time now. I am curious about the other end though. The M3ti's vs. the M22ti's. The specs are almost exactly the same (I know not to buy by specs alone) and I have a couple of space concerns. The M22ti's are listed as bookshelves but they seem awful big for me to put on my entertainment center. I just wonder if I will get their best performance if not stand mounted. That's why I'm considering the M3's I know the upgrade bug will hit again in about a year or so so I was thinking about the M3ti's for now and then using them as a set of front effects speakers (second set of surrounds) when I finally do go with the towers (M80's most likely). Has anyone auditioned these two speaker types (the M3ti's and the M22ti's) next to each other? Is there much difference? What are some of the advantages of the dual smaller woofs/mid vs the single 6.5 inch on the M3ti's? My roon size is about 18ft by 18ft and I will be pushing them with a Yammy RX-V2300. I will integrate a decent sub soon but I'll have to use the 150watt 10incher that I already have for now.

16. AhsanR

AhsanR Stunt Coordinator

In the US, is there any place you can go to audition the Dahlquists... I have been very interested in them for some time.

17. AhsanR

AhsanR Stunt Coordinator

Oh and can anyone talk about the Axiom sound? I've wanted to pit these against the Polk Lsi's...

18. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

Ashan,
    Since you seem to be interested in both the Axiom and Dahlquist speakers give Marc at Audioshop.on.ca an email about your specific questions. He is very helpful in contrasting the Dahlquists and the Axiom speakers.

As for local locations to audition Dahlquists try emailing them at [email protected]. I found they are very quick in replying with local shops.

Now on the sound of the Axiom speakers. My father ownes a set (m3Tis, qs4s, vp100) and *loves* them. I too think they sound pretty good except for one thing: for my ears they are "too bright". My ears fatigue after listening to them for a while so I know they are not the speakers for my HT. This is NOT to say you won't love Axiom speakers.

I think the key is to find the right speakers for your ears. So get a rough idea of what you like and go from there. As I posted in another thread I think the latest Axiom newsletter does a good job of describing different audio terms. It can be found at: http://www.axiomaudio.com/archives/January2003.html.

Hopefully that helps! [​IMG]

19. TerryHub

ChadLB,

Here is what I sent to Ron at SVS:

"My great room is 18' wide and 24' long with a vaulted ceiling approximately 15' high. I have a 9' wide opening (opposite the wall my home theater system is on) to my dining room which is 14' x 15' with a 9' high tray ceiling. The room also has a standard opening to the kitchen (again opposite the home theater) and is attached to my foyer that is 8' x 10' with the 15' high ceiling the tapers down to the from door to about 10'. There is also a hallway opening on the same side of the room as the home theater system."

Based upon the above information, Ron said go with the 20-39 PC+.

By the way, no e-mail from Marc today...he must really go fishing on Tuesdays as stated on his website.

MikeMcGrew,

Check out the following link: www.audiovideoreviews.com/speakers.shtml

It has what I consider to be some very well written reviews of most of the Axiom line. Please also read some of the other speaker reviews such as Dalquist, Energy, Polk, and Paradigm. The reviewers mention Axiom as a reference in the comparison and conclusion sections. It's an interesting read.

20. Chris Zell

Chris Zell Stunt Coordinator

I have spent quite a bit of time with the Epic Grand Master HT speakers from Axiom (M22is up front, VP100 center, QS8 surrounds, EP175 sub). The VP150 center channel is a clear upgrade IMO, well worth the $120 difference - Better horizontal dispersio, more seamless integration across the front, can play louder before compression and harshness set in.

The Axioms are a very good deal, and better than anything I have heard near the price (admittedly, I have not heard them all, but lots). We tried them in numerous rooms, and they always sounded good right away, even just thrown in the room. Fine tuning definitely helped, but they started out very nicely every time.

Best way to describe ny impression was that they were an extremely well integrated whole. Surrounded on all sides by consistent, non-fatiguing sound. Another poster said the set he heard is too harsh - well not this set IMO (his were different all the way around I think). And I am pretty sensitive to fatiguing speakers - I get tired of them in a hurry. I listened for long hours to these Axioms, and they were very well integrated, detailed, just fun.

I would recommend to go with the top QS8 surrounds. They are great, my favorite part of the system. We've used a set of these in many different systems (Infinities, Revel etc) and they always work well. Great detail when appropriate, and enveloping when needed. One of the best surrounds I have heard.

The EP175 is a tougher call. At first, I thought it did not have enough slam - no house shaking stuff going on. Really this is more of a woofer than a sub. On the other hand, it integrated very well and seamlessly with the rest of the system, and that is worth a lot. You could get more slam for $500 perhaps, but would it stick out like a sore thumb? I don't know. I'd like to hear the biger Axiom sub (EP350 or something??). Despite the fact that the EP175 didn't have me bouncing around the room, I was not thinking that I needed more when listening - it sounded good. I also threw it into a high end Infinity system for grins, and darned it it didn't sound good, and not whimpy like I feared.

These Axioms do harden and compress when pressed very hard. They can play pretty loud, but not reference level stuff for sure. Nothing else for $1500 will either.