What's new

I'm confused, are there any Digital Photographers out there?? (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I got my G3 at London Drugs. It was pricey ($1299), but none of the Future Shops had it. I didn't check the other camera stores like Saneal Camera (at Chinook Center Mall, or downtown) or Vistek, because I didn't know they existed last winter. Their prices probably won't be much different, but they have more accessories.

I also bought the Canon 420EX external flash from London Drugs in Vernon. I managed to get a few dollars off after haggling, to get the price in line with the other stores.

Last I checked, the Future Shops I visited recently still don't have the G3. Best bet is to call around first, see if they have them hidden away while they try to clear out the G2s.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Max, I had a shitty experience when I purchased my G3. I wanted a G3, and NEEDED a camera, but FS didn't have the G3's yet. The manager said I could get the G2, then just return it and get the G3 once they have them in. Well I waited for about 25 days, and still nothing. One day I decided to phone the FS in Vernon. To my utter surprise they said they had the G3's in for a few weeks now!!! I told them that the FS in Kelowna said that the wharehouse didn't even have them yet, and the manager in Vernon was pretty upset that they lied to me. I guess they were trying to sell all the G2's first. I returned the G2 at the FS in Kelowna and the salesperson phoned up the Vernon FS and tried telling them that they had no G3's, hahaha, what a joke. Right after I drove to vernon and grabbed my G3, FINALLY. Man was I happy to have it! So that's my little story about Future Shop, haha.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Cam, I read your story on DPreview. It'd be funny if it wasn't so tragic!

I never liked Futureshop, except to buy DVDs. :)

Verbatim probably paid another manufacturer to make their CF cards. For all we know, it's the same as Sandisk or Transcend or somebody else.

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
Thanks Andrew, I'll probably end up going that way. One question, is the quality of lens going to be much different between that and the S45 (and is there also an S35?, I saw an S30 last year and thought it would make sense to have an S35)
Probably not. The S30 is getting harder and harder to find and nobody on the net has heard any rumors or seen beta testing of an S35. I'm not saying it's not a possibility; I just haven't seen any word of an S35 coming out.
I was thinking of getting the S30 but think I'll bite the bullet, save a little more money and then buy the S45. It seems to be the best of the pocket size digital cameras out there. The only downsides I can see are the lens cover as power switch seems funky and the heavier weight of the S series.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Dave, I had the S30 for a while and I LOVED it. I really liked the heft of the camera, as I was worried it would feel too toy like with it's size, but the heft of the camera makes it feel really nice in your hand. The sliding lens cover was never a problem for me, and I had no complaints about it. One thing to remember though is that when stuff gets under that lens cover if will drag it across the camera body and possibly scratch the case, which happened to me. Nothing major, but something to keep in mind when at the beach or in a dusty dirty area.

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
I just saw the review in DpReview for the S400. This one looks like a winner, especially if you like ultra-compact cameras. this might be a birthday present for my wife.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks