What's new

I'm confused about hooking up my digital cable box (1 Viewer)

Frank**F

Grip
Specifically, the audio.

Right now the box is just hooked up to an old direct-view TV, using the traditional RF coax output to the back of the TV.

All of my new HT junk is on order/en route (hee hee!), and I'm going to go buy cables this weekend. Of course, I'm going to use the separate audio/video channels that are available.

My digital box has digital coax output, as well as L/R analog audio out.

I've read everything I can find regarding what cables connect to what, I've searched, I've lurked for weeks, and I can't figure out one thing:

If I hook up the digital coax audio, will that only provide sound on certain shows (for instance, shows with Dolby Digital)? In other words, do I need to hook up BOTH the digital line and the analog lines?

Jason GT

Second Unit
Answer:

maybe. It depends on your box, as I have heard of STBs that need an analogue connection for analogue source channels.

On the other hand, the box that I have (Motorola DCT 5100) passes all signals through digital, thus I only use the digital out on the box.

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
When I used the coax output from my Explorer 2000 cable box, I could only get a signal from those channels that were "Digital" and nothing from the others. Still haven't figured that one out, and the cable company wasn't any help. I went back to using just the analog outputs of the box, and it sounds just fine. Good Luck.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
If I hook up the digital coax audio, will that only provide sound on certain shows
I have a Scientific Atlantic box. It only provides digital audio on the digital channels (100+). So, I have the analog going into my TV and then my TV's analog output going to my receiver's VCR input. I then took the digital coax from the cable box to the SAT/TV input on my receiver and specified within the receiver's setup to look at the coax input for that selection.

It's kind of a pain, but this way, I can watch everything and listen to the analog input, and, If I find something in DD I switch the receiver over to SAT/TV.

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the hint, I changed mine and now i can enjoy the DD signals as well. Do you find that you cannot control the volume level with your cable remote when there is a DD signal?
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks