I'm confident YOU can help me

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Domi, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Domi

Domi Auditioning

I need your suggestions.

I have the Klipsh Promedia 5.1 PC speakers. But today the amp broke. This is my third set of these speakers. The dying amp problem is well know on Klipsh forum.

The warranty has ended, I don't have to original box and I don't want to pay 100$ shipping to send them to Mississauga, Ontario.

I planned to buy other PC speakers like Logitech Z-680 but today, a bell rang in my head...I already have 5.1 speakers, all I need is a receiver.

So, can you suggest me a cheap receiver. I have a Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS soundcard. The amp or receiver must accept input from soundcard, the amp must be able the drive the subwoofer and five satellites. I use that setup for gaming and music only.

Do you think a HT receiver can do the job? If so witch one ? Do you have other suggestions for my problem that I did not think?

(Pardon my english)
    Thanks Domi

2. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

It would probably do the job as long as your sound card had a digital output, probably fiber optic would be my guess. I wouldn't be concerned with spending too mucy $ on one for what you are using it for, in fact you can probably get something around $200 or so at best buy.

3. Chris Purvis

Chris Purvis Stunt Coordinator

The only sticky thing for you is that 99% of home theater receivers aren't designed to drive a subwoofer - unless I misunderstand your post and your sub is powered and still working. If it's effectively passive now, most HT receivers aren't going to put out an amplified LFE signal and you'd need a separate amp to drive it.

4. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

My friend's Kenwood 7070 has passive subwoofer terminals. You might want to look into that line, I'm not familiar with it, but thought I'd give you a hint.

And shipping would probably cost you less than $50. But then again, since you're not covered under warranty anymore, you'd probably be best off getting a cheap receiver.