Im concerned about purchasing SVS.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Dec 29, 2003.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I work at soundtrack in colorado springs. I have been talking to alot of people in my store and no one has ever heard of SVS. Only one person and he just saw it in a magazine. I know alot of you have SVS or have heard it but Im still concerned.

I can get Def tech, Klipsch, Infinity, Sunfire and maybe Martin Logan at an awsome discount, anywhere from 50-75% off retail. Now do you still think SVS is worth it? I wouldnt just go buy it at retail, I would call and see if they can work me a deal. I may go do that today.

But I just wanted to get some feedback. For what I can get should I still look into SVS? I know some companies are willing to give people in other companies discounts so it may be worth it.

BTW I am hoping to have between $300-$1000 to spend on one by april, my b-day.

2. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Well that kinda sux. I just called and they said they are willing to do 10% off. That sux. Hmmmm.... Well do you guys still think its worth it?

Plus are there any places I could hear one?

3. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

How exactly does 10% off suck? I gladly paid full price for mine, as most of us here....

4. John S

John S Producer

I have never been able to audition one either.
    I have a 15" Velodyne that seems very good for what I paid for it.

You would be a great person to get one, because you can audition it against some others.

Plus I am in Denver, and maybe I could even get to hear your new SVS sometime?

Maybe even some Velo -vs- SVS head to head combat?

5. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Well, listen to all of them and make up your own mind. But of those I would only consider Klipsch...maybe Martin Logan but there would have to be a significant discount. The Decent's that I've heard I wasn't too impressed with considering the price. An equivalent SVS would be able to hang with all of those but it will all depend on your personal preference.

Also consider Acoustic Visions and Rutledge Audio.

- Dan Hine

6. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

I think 10% off is actually great. Wish I had gotten that [​IMG]

Do you have any specific models of the Def tech, Klipsch, Infinity, Sunfire and Martin Logans that you might be looking at and approximately what they would cost you. With that info, I think some here could provide you with more detailed info on how the SVS models might compare.

Also, don't be afraid to send the same info to the guys at SVS and ask their advice. They have always been fair regarding other product recommendations in my experience.

Matt

BTW-I just upgraded from a DT Prosub 100 to a 16-46PCi (not a fair comparison on any level, including price - the SVS is more, and performs as such. I'm happy with the SVS)

7. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

SVS are direct only- they're already discounted. The others are sold for RRP with a huge mark-up price- that's why you can get such a big discount on retail subs- because there's a huge mark up.

I have no experience with the subs you mentioned.

8. Dave Shepard

Dave Shepard Agent

Get the SVS and you will never be sorry. Which SVS are you looking at? Mine is the PB2+ and I have always been impressed with it. It eagerly takes all I can give it and has yet to even burp and does it cleanly. If you are to get a 10% discount that is all the more reason to get one, I was happy to pay full price and never looked back, it was and still is the single most impressive piece in my set-up.

Good luck
    Dave

9. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

im gonna go against what everyone here says...

get the deftech supercube reference, with your discount its only $510... in a year, you can sell it and get a VERY nice SVS, or a pair of them.

use your discount while you can. and dont be alarmed if most of your co-workers dont know about SVS, most arent even all that familiar with their OWN products.

10. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Jesse, I sent you a PM.

11. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I would suggest getting one that you can actually hear before you buy. I have an SVS 20-39PCi and have disappointed with it's performance. IMO they are not all that they are hyped up to be.

12. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Matthew Todd,

Not trying to hijack here, but I too have the DT Prosub 100 and have been considering upgrading to either SVS, Velo or some others lately. What was the biggest difference you noticed when upgrading? and how do you feel about the DT Prosub 100 now? TIA

13. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Vincent: Did you calibrate with an SPL meter?

14. Matthew Todd

Matthew Todd Second Unit

Hey Philip. I lived with the Prosub for 5 years. It was good to me. First sub I ever had. I finally sold it on ebay when I decided to order the SVS.

I've only had the SVS a very short time, but as to what I've noticed since the upgrade, let me say this:

I have DT BP6 mains, and it always seemed to me that the Prosub 100 only went about as low as those mains go. It did add some extra ooph. The 16-46PCi seems to add quite a bit of depth that just was not there before. When playing a frequency sweep I can tell that the output goes down far lower. This is noticeable when watching movies too. I chose the 16-46PCi because I wanted all the depth, and generally don't listen at super high levels . . . except once in a while . . .

I actually took the SVS over to an out of state friends house about 3 1/2 hours away (it was fun trying to fit it in the Corolla, BTW, it will not go in the trunk [​IMG]) for a Lord of the Rings double feature about 10 days ago. It was set up in a fairly large room (about 15x30x8 with openings into a kitchen and hallway ). I was surprised by how well it did in that large room, never bottoming out. Probably listened about 10 dB below reference.

From where I was sitting, about 10 feet from the sub, I could feel my pant legs moving during the deep, loud parts. My Prosub 100 never did that. I think it would have strained to fill up that big room.

The Prosub 100 was nice while I had it (and cost quite a bit less than the 16-46PCi), but I'm glad to have the SVS.

When the dedicated room is done in the basement, I'm thinking to put either a B4+ in there or a BDEAP 32 (maybe a pair?)

Matt

15. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Hey Vincent, you know how us SVS "fanatics" hate to hear bad experiences with their subs, have you tried corrective measures? (i.e. calibration, placement,etc.) When you say disappointed, is that in SQ or SPL, or both? Did you get a powerful enough sub for your room and listening tastes?

16. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

And what sub were you using before?

17. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim

I would strongly recommend you contact SVS directly and ask any questions you have and express any concerns.

I was also very concerned about buying a sub I had not heard first and from a company with which I wasn't familiar.

I contacted SVS with my questions/concerns. Actually, I exchanged MANY e-mails with SVS over a long period. Almost every e-mail I sent was answered within 24 hrs, and often within a couple hours (one late Sunday night, I got a response in 5 minutes!). Tom V. was VERY helpful and even offered to recommend other brands that I might find locally if I still wasn't comfortable ordering though SVS. There was absolutely no pressure to buy and they were completely honest with me. I was particulary impressed with their desire to offer you the right sub for your needs (even if it wasn't their brand!) without just trying to sell you the biggest/most expensive model.

We'll, I decided to take a chance and ordered an 16-46PC+ (this model was recommended by Tom V based on my listening preferences and room size/layout).

That was a year ago and I can tell you I would do it again in a heartbeat!! Their product performs as they said (which is excellent!)and their customer service is outstanding!

Believe me, I understand where you are coming from, but I can tell you that SVS sells an outstanding product which is an excellent value and they stand behind it completely.

Hope this helps.

JimmyK

PS - I have no connection with SVS other than being an extremely satisfied customer.

18. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Jesse, if you do a search on the forum here, you'll find hundreds of satisfied Jimmies (aka S atisfied V ery S atisfied)

19. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Here's another anecdote.

I bought an early model SVS. A year or so later, they improved the driver in the subwoofer. Aw well, that's the way it is, you buy something and they improve it. Not so with SVS, they offered all of us early adopters the chance to buy the improved driver and THEY WOULD BUY BACK OUR OLD DRIVERS! I actually kept mine and sold it at the price SVS was offering to a guy making his own subwoof. He told me after he was extrememly happy with the results.

Unheard of. GM improves the engine and lets you put it in your old car. Microsoft (forget it, target too easy [​IMG] ). Anyway, you get the idea.

There is NO other company, internet or B&M like Tom and Ron's. It was our lucky day the day they met. Speaking of which, Ron...how did you guys hook up anyway? You two need to write one of those business book how to's

20. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Jesse: if you read reviews of various high-end subwoofers you will see the reviewers admit something like: "..you can build your own subwoofer that rivals most of these commercial units."

SVS started out with some guys who gave lots of advice to people who were building their own subwoofer. For a $500 list of parts, you could create a sub that may not look as nice, but could out-perform commercial subs in the $1,200-$1,600 price range.

Eventually, they started building subs and selling them.

SVS subs are ... kind of brute-force engineering. Instead of trying to play tricks with servo-controled electronics and 1500 watt power supplies to stuff things into a small package, they went large. A SVS sub is ... big. They use big drivers and modest power supplies. The results are sound that has a very flat response.

There IS a problem with SVS subs. People who had some other sub were used to a harsher/choppier sound (which actually sounds good for movies, but not for music). The SVS subs dont have 'bumps' in the response so it sounds a bit less-intense. People miss this at first.

But after listening to the SVS for a few days/weeks, some people have hooked up their old sub and suddenly realize how harsh the sound was.

The other problem: you have to go into surrounding rooms and tape down light fixtures or small objects. The SVS will rattle things. It is NOT recommended for rooms with a nice bar and expensive wine-glasses that might be touching each other.

I recommend SVS. My single 25-39 CS sub has taken the place of the dual 500 watt subs in my DefTech towers.