What's new

I'm coming to Los Angeles. Swimming Pools, Movie Stars. (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Well, after many sleepless nights I have finally confirmed my summer internship in Los Angeles with Blue Sky, the people who brought us Ice Age. So, I will be working for 6-8 weeks on the Fox lot, and have to start on June 28th.

So I have 14 days to get my shit together. I have some friends out in LA, but could use some additional help/tips from my many friends here on the HTF.

Here's my situation, I would love any feedback or input on any of these issues:

- I was planning to fly out and trying to stay within biking, walking or bussing distance of the lot. I was, best case, hoping to find a feabag hotel that does weekly room rentals that won't run more than $1000-$1500 per month. I don't need a TV- just a single room with a bed and a sink would do fine. I have no clue if this is realistic or not, and if anything like this would exist within a reasonable distance of the Fox lot.

- I am now considering driving my 92 Camry out, if it will make the trip, to broaden my options for housing. I was thinking I could maybe scrounge up a room in a rooming house somewhere a bit further from the studio, since I'll only be there for 6 weeks or so. Figured if I brought my car, at least I would have a last-ditch place to sleep if things got really bad.

- Any forum folks within commute distance of Century City wanna rent me their garage for 6 weeks? ;)

-V

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Vince,

Congratulations on your internship!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: Hopefully they will like you enough to keep you permanently.

I've never lived in L.A. but my friends tell me the city is designed for those who have their own vehicle. Up here in Seattle, I can rely on my own two feet and our public transportation system. I understand public transportation in LA stinks. I don't know how well you will be able to get around on a bike.

If I think of any more good advice, I'll let you know.

Good luck to you!!! :D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Congratulations and good luck Vince.

You might try and see if someone needs a roommate for the summer. As I’m sure you know timing is everything, but you might get lucky and get a place for under half of your budget.

Check the net and see if you can arrange some interviews. This will almost for sure require a car.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Vince, give me a call sometime over the weekend and I can give you the lowdown, the ins and outs. Sunday afternoon could work.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Vince, very nice. Looks as if Jack will learn you. Shoot a PM, if you make your way to Long Beach, Venice etc. Or just feel like a mini-meet.
Good Luck Bro

"It's getting better all the time...."

I never have to drive into L.A. anymore. The Metro and Dash buses get me to most destinations I need to.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
congrats vince! that sounds like fun. just walking around the studio lot should be a kick. (i used to work at paramount and just loved thinking about the history of the place...)

i would strongly suggest, if your car will make it, that you should really drive down. there is so much to do in the town and i'm pretty sure you're gonna wanna go explore??? for that, your own transpo is a must!

anyway, too bad i wasn't still in LA - i'd let you stay with me for free! :D

Pamela

Supporting Actor
I'd be willing to let you stay in my utility room, but you'd have to share it with the cat's litter box! ;)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Vince, PM me if you get a chance when you're out here. I live in Westwood, about 10 mins away from Century City (not counting, of course, rush hour time) and would be willing to help out in any way I can! Also, some hang-time w/ HTF'ers would be cool. We might be able to arrange that (not to mention the fact that Westwood has some of the best screens in L.A.).

brentl

Senior HTF Member
The "utility room" sounds sexy!

Congrats Vince I hope everything goes well. It will be great to see somebody that I "hang out with" in the credits!

Brent

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Vince - I don't know if this will help, but there was a point during my time in Los Angeles when I had to live at a hotel on a short-term basis. I stayed at an Extended Stay America in Orange County (right by Disney's California Adventure park) and it ran $1,300 for five weeks (during the month of April). I don't know if similar hotels exist near Century City, nor do I know how much they would charge. Just a thought.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
When I did my summer internship many moons ago, I slept on my friends living room floor... but I STILL needed a car...

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Vince
I commute to LA from SF so I needed a place M - Th. I found a good situation on www.craigslist.com
Go to the LA version of the site and then check out short term rentals.
Good Luck and hope to see your name on the Credits one day in Big letters!

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Vince
I commute to LA from SF so I needed a place M - Th. I found a good situation on www.craigslist.com
Go to the LA version of the site and then check out short term rentals.
Good Luck and hope to see your name on the Credits one day in Big letters!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

verycool- will certainly check it out. Thanks!

It looks like, if everything goes ok, I'll leave next wednesday to drive out. I'm trying to scrape together extra funds as quickly as possible (selling criterion dvds and some HT gear)-- I have an older car to sell and some other shit- so hopefully I'll have enough funds together by next week to have everything work out.

I still ahve to figure out a cellphone situation (getting mine changed to GSM versus getting a prepay when I'm out there)- decisions decisions, and all of them a complete headache!

Thanks for the tips so far- and again- anyone who wants to buy me a salad at Wendy's while I'm in LA, feel free to post here ;)

-Vince

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
oh yeah vince ... one more thing. remember these two words ... they will be your best friend.

"tommy burger"

my work here is done...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wish I did Vince, unfortunately there's already four of us crammed into an apartment: 2 students, my girlfriend and myself (the students are her brother and his girlfriend). We pay over $2200 a month for our small 2BR :eek:

As for a cheap lunch, you got it anytime! No worries at all, and I'd definitely be interested in hanging out once you're out here. Just drop me a PM with your contact info (might take a day or 2 to receive it) and we'll get in touch.

Good luck on the move!

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
And if you go up North, let me know. If I am around you have a room to crash in.
Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks