What's new

I'm clueless: looking for new speakers for new AVR-1803... (1 Viewer)

Matt Rexer

Stunt Coordinator
Deciding on a receiver was pretty easy -- there was plenty of easily-accessible reading material here and elsewhere about what to look for, what companies make good stuff right now, what features I might be interested in, etc. I'm very happy with my Denon AVR-1803. It was a helluva step up from my PL-only Sony "home theater in a box" junker I've been using for 5 years.

New speakers, on the other hand, are a puzzle to me. Probably because there are so many companies producing so many different types of speakers out there... I can't seem to get a handle on the things: what to look for, who makes the good stuff, who makes the good stuff in my price range, what might match my particular receiver...

Can anyone point me in a direction? I'd probably be willing to spend about $200-$300/speaker... probably only start out with 5 and eventually pick up the 6th and 7th when I can afford it. (a new sub will have to wait for another day as well, sigh)

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
The first step is to decide what you want the speakers for. Will it be HT or music. Do you want large speakers or something small that is non-obtrusive. Since you already have a budget in mind, hit some of the good stores in your area and listen to speakers, below, at and above your price range. When I say stores, I don't mean Circuit City and Best Buy. I mean stores that have listening rooms, good exquipment to drive the speakers and the knowledge to explain things to you. Bring music that you're familiar with and a movie or two that you're familiar with. Look for stores with liberal return policies. I auditioned 6 sets of 5.1 setups at home before I decided on the set to keep. Listening at home is much different then at the store and you'll get a better sense of the speakers in your environment. Hope this helps.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Matt,
If you are willing to buy speakers from an internet direct company, you can save big bucks and get amazing quality. Check out the Onix Rockets. Their 150's are within your budget, and have received great feedback. Here's the link.

Matt Rexer

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely shopping for HT speakers.
I auditioned 6 sets of 5.1 setups at home before I decided on the set to keep.
Holy cow! :D
This might sound like an incredibly stupid question, but -- not having sat down in my local shop's listening rooms at all -- what I'm listening for? How do you tell which speakers sound the way they should should? Just a gut feeling: "I like that, no reason" type thing?
Russell -- thanks for the link. I have read good things about Onix Rockets in the past. But, the $600 for the matching center might be a bit too much for my budget...

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Matt:

What are you listening for? How do you tell if a speaker sounds the way it should? Is it an "I like that, no reason" thing?

Answers...

1. No one can tell you what you're listening for.
2. A speaker will sound the way it will sound, and that will be influenced by all the factors you might imagine (other equipment, the room, software), and primarily by your perception of the way it will sound.
4. Yes, it is an 'I like that, no reason' thing.

You buy, you bring home, you listen. You like, you keep. You don't like, you return. Preferably, you do this in bunches with groups of speakers. You wan't to buy over the Internet without listening first? That's your business, best of luck.

Take all of this, and everything else that everyone else will tell you, with a pound of salt.

And, above all, worry less, and enjoy more.

--AM

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
Audition with an 1803, this will give you a better understanding on how the system will perform......try speakers with a high efficiancy rating, maybe 92 db, 1 watt at 1 meter.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks