What's new

Im between purchasing the denon 1803 and the kenwood 6070???hers my opinions and ques (1 Viewer)

stan mucha

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,new to the board here.Im really interested in the denon 1803 but there new warranty guidelines have really made me shop around else where before deciding what to buy.I dont want to spend $499 at one of there dealer locations,when i can purchase it on the web for $360.00....The kenwwod 6070 looks really good for the money,considering you get thx select certification.My question that concerns me is.kenwoods website says it has .7 thd on the rear (l/r) surround speakers.this seems very high to me???I wonder how difficult it is to set up its rear center speaker?Which brand is known to be more reliable??Im looking for a receiver not just for video,but i really like my audio as well.

thanks
stan

Michael Mathius

Senior HTF Member
You should be able to get it from a authorised dealer for $400 easily. Atleast, I've seen them go for this in Florida.

Michael

DanMU

Agent
Hi Stan,
Since you are curious about the 6070 (I am too!!), here's a link to an amazingly extensive thread on it. I believe there's a lot of discussion there on the center rear support you asked about (I know I read a bunch of stuff about that the last couple days and I think it was there). The thread is so extensive that I've not yet read so much as half of it. A guy has to sleep, after all.
Good luck and hope you enjoy your hunt and your receiver.
Dan
Long ecoustics thread on Kenwood VR-6070
Edit: I just copied the whole thread into my private database and it's 148 pages!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I've had the 6070 for about 3 months. Overall, it is excellent. Some of the controls could be a little easier to use, but keeping the owners manual around takes care of that. With regard to the 100 + 100 for surround at .7% THD, keep in mind that Sound and Vision got 92 watts per channel with all 6 channels driven simultaneously. Pretty amazing for a 22 pound receiver and more than adequate for almost all surround situations.

Vann's is an authorized dealer and has the 6070 delivered for $428.50.

Good way to go.

Artie

DanMU

Agent
Vann's is an authorized dealer and has the 6070 delivered for $428.50.
I found it at 6ave.com for $409 shipped. I don't know if they are an authorized dealer or not. Is that an issue? I know that for Denon, that can make a really big difference since Denon apparently does not honor their warranties for units not purchased from ADs.

PieterG

Auditioning
@Stan Mucha: Maybe you guys don't know it yet, but Kenwood has stopped his entire production of electronic equipment, except the walki-talkies.
So if your receiver is broke, it will be hard to find spareparts or, in garantuee, a new one.

DanMU

Agent
Not to denigrate your suggestion but the only electronic equipment I've ever found it necessary to have fixed is my two SVHS VCR's ( a couple times each ). I had a bad receiver, but it was out of warranty and so old I didn't think it cost effective to have it fixed (a top of the line, I think, Sony). My other two receivers, my TV, 2 cassette decks, have never gone bad. One cassette deck did, but again, not cost effective to fix at this point. It's a concern, certainly, but I figure parts will be available for a while and beyond that the cost effectiveness of fixing will be a factor. The Kenwood warranties are 2 years P&L on the 6070 and 1 year on the 6060, IIRC.

stan mucha

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the info.....im leaning towards the denon 1803..anyone know of denon dealers on the web that pricematch,or negotiate??I dont want to pay more than $375.00 for it....stan

DanMU

Agent
Stan,

Based on a few posts I've read I doubt that you will find this receiver for that price from an authorized Denon dealer. It is said that Denon may not honor their warranty if bought from a non-authorized dealer. I'd be willing to chance it since I don't think the probability of a failure is great and I'd buy from nxgen.com. But like I say, warranty may be just paper if you go that route. Otherwise you may be looking at close to $500. Again, based from what I read at Anandtech.com forums.

I'm sure this is a quality receiver based on what I've read. However, I believe it doesn't have preamp outputs except for the subwoofer and that carries some weight with me. My preference at the moment is the Kenwood VR-6070. Good luck whichever way you go.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Today I spoke with a Kenwood spokesperson in the Advertising and Marketing department. They flat out denied that there are any plans to discontinue home theater receivers. They said a new line is due out in the next couple months. After market auto sound sales are said to be booming, and Home Theater sales in the US are said to be strong.

Also, companies are required to provide spare parts for 7 years after purchase.

Based on this, I wouldn't give much weight to the rumor that Kenwood is disappearing from the US market.

Artie

DanMU

Agent
Thanks for the news, Artie. Makes me wonder what the "new line" of HT will offer! Well, I may not wait to find out, although until I order my new monitor, I won't need the receiver. But if it's the last piece in the puzzle, right now I've got the 6070 in my sights. In 7 years I doubt I'll be terribly attached to the 6070. ;)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
@Stan Mucha: Maybe you guys don't know it yet, but Kenwood has stopped his entire production of electronic equipment, except the walki-talkies.
So if your receiver is broke, it will be hard to find spareparts or, in garantuee, a new one.
Are there any links to this information? Or, is it just a rumor?

I like the Denon gear. But, considering the price of the 6070, I'd jump on the deal. 92 watts of "true" power per channel. The Denon is rated at 80, but in reality, it's probably much lower.

stan mucha

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for thr help guys...i bought the denon 1803..Call me anal but i just couldnt get over the fact the kenwood had.
.7THD in its rear channels.

stan

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
You'll be very happy with it Stan. You get a lot of receiver for your money with this model. I love mine. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks