What's new

I'm being downsized...but there's an offer on the table, help me negotiate (1 Viewer)

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
I'm not fully out of a job...the company wants to move me and my family out to Victoria B.C....if I was single, this would be an incredibly easy descision...but I already have a house and 2 small kids ages 1 and 2 1/2. Plus all of our family is here. Anyone been in a similar situation? What kind of things should I hope to get out of this? What was done for you? Personally I'm not all too warm to the idea as I really like where I live.

Paul Wu

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to hear about your situation.

Assuming you take the relocation offer, the obvious would be to have the company pay for all moving expenses. Also have them pay for putting you up in a place as you find a new house. I would also make sure that you get some kind of increase in pay as living expenses in Victoria is probably more than Winnipeg. Also, have the company cover any loss you may incur for having to sell your current house fast. This is a pretty big list, but if you don't ask for it, they will never give it to you.

Kirsten

Stunt Coordinator
A friend of mine was relocated from Saskatchewan to New Brunswick last year and his employer provided him with something like four or five paid flights back home so that he could visit family. Maybe look into requesting something like that as part of the deal.

Good luck with your decision!

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I think Paul's got it all up there, at least the kids are not in school yet. That would be evem more of a hit on them.

But if the family is okay with it, I would SO take Victoria over Winnipeg... good luck!

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Another "item for negotiation" is to see if the company will buy your house from you if you are unable to sell it after 1 (or 2) months. But make sure they will buy it from you for your asking price. Some companies will do this for you.

However, I was in an interview a few months ago and the subject came up. I asked them what they would do for me if I was having a difficult time selling my house (considering the market at the time was not too good). They flat out told me "we aren't into real estate."

Alex S

Second Unit
Gordon, could you find another job where you are now ?
I wouldn't move unless I wanted to.
For me, family comes first then my job.
I would be miserable if I had to leave my family, friends and neighborhood for my job.
Put that's just me. :D
How long have you been there ?
Maybe they will give you some severance pay if you decide to stay and look for a new job.
Good luck.

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
I would try to get a contract that guarantees employment for a specific period of time, say two years. This will ensure you won't move some place you're not familiar with and then get downsized a month later. You'll be able to get established and develop contacts in the new area without immediate concern about being out of work. Nothing worse than being unemployed in an unfamiliar place.

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Thanks for all the replies. This seemed like a possiblity until I looked into the housing in the surrounding Victoria area. OMG, I would be paying forever for a house ( a real dump goes for 200 G no less). Thanks but no thanks, I will tough it out and find work in Winnipeg 100 - 150G goes soooo much further in terms of housing. My wife's a teacher and has already has some opportunity so all's not lost.

As for the Gordon Moore thing. I think intel would see right through me as I'm only 31 and the "other" Gordon Moore is a little older I think.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Gordon,
Winnipeg over Victoria?!?! :eek:
Victoria is well populated with seniors....it's basically a retirement city. Nice mild weather. Snow occurs once in awhile. Gorgeous scenery. Nice golf courses.
My ex-boss just got a job there. Next month, I will be moving 450 miles inland to a new job. My new employer will be paying my relocation expenses (with a limit of course). :)
Dave

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
I would so much rather be living in Victoria than Winnipeg. But, I can see how family might keep one in the city they are currently in.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
I really didn't want this to become a "my city's better than your city thing". You have to understand...I've lived on the prairies all my life. Winnipeg is extremely affordable. I'm a 45 min drive from great beaches (some of the best in Canada). My parents have a cottage in the Whiteshell. I snowmobile, skate, x-country ski, fish, do boating,ATV, waterski, camp. Winnipeg summers are HOT! This winter has been especially mild (Go El Nino!) And the skies are clear more often than not. The prairies has a lot to offer me. That and it's hard to put a price on family. Kids need grandparents (when available), and uncles and aunts etc....

I don't think Victoria is what I'm looking for...but who knows? I get a trip out there to help make up my mind in the next few weeks...so I'll see for myself.

I really just wanted to know what people in a similar situation have asked for in the past...what's reasonable? I think most poeple have answered that for me.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Gordon -
I'd suggest staying put unless your employer is willing to bump up your salary, so you could afford a commensurate house in Victoria. That, along with a fully-paid relocation and an employment contract for 2 years, are good ideas.
If you think you can find other employment at a decent salary where you are, then I'd say to stay put.
Expensive housing costs you more than just the price difference for the house. It is more like three times the price difference. And if you invested rather than spending that difference in price, you can be talking about half a lifetime worth of earnings!
For example: If a house is $200,000 instead of $100,000, and you take out a 30-year mortgage, you will pay about 3 times the price of the house over the life of the loan. So that's $600,000 vs. $300,000.
But if you took that stream of payments and invested it over the course of 30 years, you'd EARN an additional $300,000 (assuming a similar rate of return to the mortgage rate). So then you're looking at paying off the less expensive house much sooner, and retiring a lot sooner.
I left Colorado because I couldn't afford a nice place. So I moved to Texas, where I could afford a better house - and hang on to more of my money. The only problem: summers here are not fun... :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks