What's new

I'm beginning to make a website for reviewing Multi Channel Music (SACD/DVD-Audio) (1 Viewer)

Nelmer_R

Auditioning
I'm trying to find people to help me review their discs they own. I'm going through the process of doing mine right now. I have about 5 reviews on the site right now.

The site is multichannelreview.netfirms.com

If anyone wants write a review email me at [email protected]

Please keep reviews to 1 paragraph (just a summary type review) and use the rating scale found on the site.

Thanks everyone!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
M/C only or do you want commentary on the 2ch as well?

DSOTM is great, but to me the holy grail of SACD is Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue (2ch only). Give it a spin.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Sounds like something Id be interested in helping you with as well. Ill check out your site and see the style you like, and look at my collection and see if I have something that needs to be on there.

Nelmer_R

Auditioning
The site is pretty simple so it doesn't allow people to just post there review. So please email it to me and I'll consider added it to the site (I'll also proof-read and fix any spelling errors in such if I see any).

Also, feel free to write a review for one that is already on the site. Having multiple reviews are a great asset when considering buying an item and should be helpful for people that haven't bought it yet. Of course there would need to be a limit to how many reviews each disc can get so the best written reviews (remember just 1 paragraph) will get posted in this case.

Nelmer_R

Auditioning
John Garcia,

Please just limit your reviews, if you choose to write them, to the multichannel content. This my is the main reason for making the site.

2 channel only SACD and DVD-A disks can be reviewed but I would make a seperate section for these since they aren't multichannel.

Overall I'll have to use some sort of organization to the site as it gets more populated. I'll probably list them in alphabetical order.

I just started this site yeasterday so I'm sure I'll be improving it over time.

Thanks for all that are interested. I don't normally post here as I'm a member of the Sound & Vision forums (screen name: nelmr). I hope to use this forum for addition research and information for audio & video related discussions.

AricB

Second Unit
My only suggestion would be to add a rating for the actual music/performance. It may help to distinguish someones bias(good or bad) to an album. For example I have albums I really love, that someone may want to know if its a good album by an artist, that may not be reflected by the surround mix review. Even if its not the primary way to rate it, i would find it helpful. For example, the Alice In Chains Hits disc sound pretty poor, but performance wise its a solid collection of songs. Which I'd probably rate like a 8/10 music-4/10 for sound quality.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Also think about adding a section for hi-rez vinyl. Most sites seem to forget about those.

I might throw a couple reviews your way.

Nelmer_R

Auditioning
Thanks guys. I may revise that rating scale to seperate preformance and sound. Being the weekend I'll have minimal time to work on this. (I do most of it in my spare time at work).

I'll check back in here this weekend every so often. Thanks

SO yes include both preformance and sound ratings. That way if I do post two different ratings I'll have the info.

Thanks.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I like the site idea!:emoji_thumbsup:
Might want to add "dts CD", "Dual Disc" and 5.1 concert DVD's to the list of MC software/reviews.

Good job,

Wes

Nelmer_R

Auditioning
I like the site idea!
Might want to add "dts CD", "Dual Disc" and 5.1 concert DVD's to the list of MC software/reviews.

Well, the site is called "multichannel review." So sure, dts cds and 5.1 concert DVDs can also be submitted to me to add to the site.

I don't own any dts or concert DVDs so you guys would have to be the ones to email or PM me the reviews.

"Dual Disc" is I understand right is a DVD-Audio layer with a CD layer correct? If that is the case then sure these can be added as well as long as the review is primarily about the DVD-Audio layer.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. And yes this is more input than I bargined for. You all have/are being very helpful.

AricB

Second Unit
DualDisc CAN be dvd-a on one side, but CAN also be just DVD-V on that side instead, either way there is usually a 5.1 mix in one format or another.

If you dont mind the other formats, I have lots of different formats and would be glad to work on some different titles.

I would strongly suggest to contributors to accurately label what format the disc being reviewed is, so Nelmer does not need to look up that info.

A statement regarding video content would also be nice, just something short at the end of the audio portion. For example, I may review the Cornelius 5Point1 DVD-V, and say something like: This dvd features music videos in 4:3 format, it is not a live performance. It is an interesting visual presentation featuring lots of time lapse photography and computer graphics synchronized to the music.

Nelmer_R

Auditioning
AricB,

If you want to breifly comment on the DVD-V protions of discs your more than welcome to.

Any yes, labeling what type of disc you are reviewing would be helpful. Thanks again everyone.

AricB

Second Unit
Thanks, I realize your mainly interested in the multichannel audio, I just thought it would help to know at least what kind of video content is on the disc, from live performance to music video's. I have some time off over the holidays, I'll try to put some together.

Nelmer_R

Auditioning
As I mentioned on my site this morning I have 2 more disc reviews that I will post in a few days.

I bought:

1812 overture SACD, Telarc label
Best of REM 1988-2003 DVD-Audio

I will post my review of these within a few days. I look forward to hearing from you all.

Nelmer_R

Auditioning
Thanks wes for the quick link. I was below 15 posts and could make my own when I made this tread.

Anyway I have finished and posted my reviews of the 1812 overture SACD as well as the REM DVD Audio discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks