What's new

Im BACK in HT Heaven!!!!BUT..I now have Ground Noise!! (1 Viewer)

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Well, After 6 MONTHS!!! thats right 6 MONTHS!! of NO HT because my Builders took Longer than expected, I finally got the HT System BACK in working order (Before I even got Gas, Water and Phone Lines hooked up...lol) and MAN..I really MISSED the Tempest SONOSUB Pounding the walls!! What a GREAT FEELING!!!

Everything is in order now, except my new house seems to have a BAD ground!

I never had any NOISE issues at my old house but now I can HEAR (Very Audible) a HUMMMM coming from my speakers at this new house...what did I do wrong?

The only thing I changed are the CABLES (AUDIO Cables I got from Vince here....very nice cables by the way!!).

Is there something wrong m with my Parasound Amps?

Please help!!

and..

IM GLAD TO BE BACK!!!!

Jason Co

Second Unit
Angelo,
I recently added a Parasound 2 channel amp and ran across the same problem. You are experiencing a ground loop from your cable television. Go to radio shack and pick up one of these and you should be good to go.

Jason

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Jason-

Thanks for the link. Will I need 3 Pairs of these as I am using my DA5ES as a pre-pro. What about a cheater plug? will that help as well?

Angelo

Jason Co

Second Unit
All you have to do is connect it from your amp to your pre/pro and you should be set.

Jason

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Angelo,

First, you gotta isolate where the hum is coming from. Typically, it's a ground loop from the CATV connection that's not grounded to the same ground stake (if that's yr house system) used by the electrical Main Service box.

To test, turn on the system til you hear that hum. Then unplug the CATV coax at the wall or the other end to hear if the hum disappears. If that's it, then some RadioShak solution may be possible. I dont know how Jason's RCA-ended ground loop eliminator works. Usually, folks suggest two 75ohm-to-300ohm back to back in the CATV coax line. More advice can be forthcoming...Parasounds may be "different" and I do not have any. In the end, you may try a cheater plug -- some will say it's ok for an amp if you're never gonna stand in a pool of water there.

bill

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Bill- I will do some testing tonight and see what happens. I have not tried the CATV solution before and maybe its the culprit.

Also, I dont even have a CATV Box connected to the TV..its a straight wire from the wall to the back of the TV??

Angelo

Jason Co

Second Unit
Just unplug the cable wire from the wall and you will notice the hum will subside. Went through the same exact thing.....the rat shack hookup works.

J

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Juan!

Wazzup man!...So i see that you have a NEW receiver!...the DA5ES was not good enough for you eh? It's all good..the Elite is a FINE piece of equipment!

Nice to hear from you again sir! When's the next MEET?:D

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I have DirecTV with basic CATV service to areas of the home that are not wired to the SAT.

I have been fighting a CATV ground loop in my setup for a while. I tried the Mondial, Tributaries solutions and such but the resulting CATV picture was horrible.

I pounded a new copper grounding stake outside. The other one was metal but it wasn't copper.

I grounded the CATV feed at the junction entering my home as well as all CATV splitters on the interior.

There is a electrical ground junction box on the outside of my home where the guage of the outside ground did not match the guage of the wire inside to the breaker box. Off to Lowes to get a few feet of pencil-thick copper wire.

I made sure all the grounds were common. Basically, anything grounded to water pipes or the structural steel in my home was cut and re-routed to the common ground at the breaker.

I finally got most of the hum to go away to the point where I had to try real real hard to hear it.

But, now it is completely gone.

I received my bill this month from the cable guys and there was a 25% increase. I cut them loose like a lady of the night dealing with penniless John.

Those CATV areas of my home now have a modulated SAT signal and good ole fashioned open-air reception, which is actually pretty-good in my area.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
Angelo,

the 5ES was good enough but I could not get the receiver to put out the same volume out of all channels. I wish the Elite had some of the 5ES features but I also wished the 5ES had some of the Elite features. All in all I am happy with my decision.

I don't know when the next meet is, I was thinking of having one but I got some projects around the house that I am working on so can't do it right now.

I am also glad you are back and have your HT setup. Now its time to finish your website. Talk to you later bud.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
Juan-

lol..yeah the darn WEB SITE needs to get completed thats for sure!

On a GOOD NOTE! I FIXED THE GROUND LOOP PROBLEM!!!

What I did was this.

Since I have Monster HT2000 I think (its one of those GLORIFIED Surge Protectors) I took the CATV plug from the back of my TV and hooked it up to the "CATV IN" on the Surge Protector and used the "CATV OUT" and hook that up to the TV.

KABLAM!!! its FIXED! I did not notice any picture degredation either which is really cool!

Thanks for the input guys!

Angelo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks