i'm at the 'stage' stage..........

mustangwally

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
wally
ok so i have gotten the stage framed up and not sure if i should use sand or insulation. any suggestions? the stage will be holding a 50" RPTV, the fronts, center and sub. the stage is approximately 10' long by 4' wide. if sand is the best option, what do i use to 'seal' it in? plastic? or box it in completely and silicone it before filling?

thanks in advance for your help. it is coming along nicely, wiring this weekend!!

Don.l

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
You can use sand, and most people will tell you probably that sand is going to give you the best dampening effect, and it probably will. I chose to not go this route. I didn't feel like dealing with the mess and drying it out and everything that goes along with it. I chose to use insulation. I have 2x4 framing and I forced 3 layers of insulation in between the studs and then I layed a layer across all of the framing members. I then cut the top piece to the size I needed and then had someone stand on it while I screwed it in. I also used some construction adhesive in all of the predrilled holes. It is solid and it is dead. There is absolutely no resonance coming from my stage. Also, I don't know how big of a deal it is depening on the size of your HT and where the Sub is in relationship to the stage. If the sub is in the back of the room and the stage is say 25-40 feet away, I don't think it would resonate that much anyway. Just my opinion. If you do go with the sand you will want to line it with I think a good 4 mil lining. Here's a link that I used when doing my stage. http://www.tedwhite.homestead.com/Stage.html

Don

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator
Don't order sand! Sand is not needed. I have my subs on my stage and I used triple the amount of fiberglass insulation and glued and screwed the plywood down and I have no problems at all. Save yourself the trouble and avoid the sand.

David

mustangwally

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
wally
thanks for the info!! wasnt really wanting to use sand. any particular brand of insulation used??

Adam Gregorich

Owner
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I used sand and it wasn't that hard. if you are building your stage over concrete I would use sand. If you are doing it over framing go with insulation. I got 6mil plastic sheeting (the same stuff they use in crawlspaces) and layed that over my joists, spreading it out in every compartment like a bowl. I then went to Lowes and got the bags of play sand so it was easier to transport both to the house and to the stage. since it was bagged, the sand was pretty dry. Click on the updated theater pics link in my sig file and click on dedicated theater. There are some pics of the sand going in.

Don.l

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don

Well, if the sub is on the stage....I don't know. I may consider using sand. I probably would. Just make sure you get it completely 100% bone dry. If you have a big heat lamp spead the sand out and bake it for a few days and everyday go down and turn it over. Just make sure it is bone dry.

Don

David Noll

Stunt Coordinator

Owens-Corning (pink), Certainteed (yellow) or Johns Mansville will work fine as will any other brand of fiberglass insulation.

David

mustangwally

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
wally
seems to be two trains of thought on this. i m not sure what to do , i guess i will have to see how easy it is to order the play sand in the great white north at this time of year!!!

and see if i can get the right kind of insulation

and of course MORE research!!!

corona13

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
michael
just got done with my stage. I filled it with 2 layers of R-19 insulation...very solid feel as I walk across it. I closed it in with 2 layers of 3/4 inch plywood.

was going to use sand, but dont think I will need it. I will be placing two subs on the stage as well...

hopefully I will be all set!

Don.l

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
I think mold will grow and could get smelly and unhealthy as mold spores are released into the air, but I'm not really sure.

Don

mustangwally

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
wally
i think you are right don, but if the stage is completely sealed i cant see how moisture could get out or air could get in. of course this is assuming the stage is 100% sealed, and you know what happens when you assume things!!!

Jugga_

Auditioning
Real Name
Jared
If the sand wasnt completly dry, and you have sealed your stage well. The moisture that is now locked in will cause mould to grow, that will eventually rot the timber frame.

Could be a good excuse to upgrade the HT though

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gullfo