I'm an idiot..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Pream, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Ryan Pream

Ryan Pream Stunt Coordinator

Last night I decided to make a couple masks to cover up the black bars on 2.35 material on my TW40X81. I used black mat board and double sided tape. Similar to what I used on my old Direct View. Big Mistake!
    It worked great until I peeled the masks off and found tape residue all over my screen. (I took off the glass protector long ago). This shit would not come off! I ended up taking the screen apart so I could work on it better. After trying about every cleaner I had I finally discovered alcohol takes it off rather easily. By this point though I had cracked the screen in two places from my scrubbing. Those screens are more delicate then I thought.
    So now I'm just depressed and about ready to wheel my TV over to the dumpster. Does anyone know how much a replacement Toshiba or 3rd party screen costs? I'm hesitant to sink much money into this set. It's had other issues since I bought it and I'm interested in the TW50H81(didn't plan on spending that much money so soon though). I won't have much use for the TW40X81 if I buy the new set.
    Ryan

2. Ryan Pream

Ryan Pream Stunt Coordinator

Well I've pieced it back together and very carefully applied some superglue between the cracks. It's not too bad from the viewing area...but it is noticible.. Maybe I can sell it to someone from work for $500 or something..
    Ryan
    ------------------

3. Eric Scott

Eric Scott Second Unit

Your not an idiot, an idiot would be too insecure to admit a mistake and not ask for advice. But I would not call it wisdom if someone is unable to learn from their mistakes.
    I wouldn't touch my TV without very clear instructions from a person with experience in the matter.
    I would now check for any cloudy or frosty looking areas on the screen that may have been caused by the various cleaners. If you decide to replace the screen I would post a topic something like; "Where can I get a New Screen? Then detail your questions.
    If you decide to sell your TV it may (depending upon the cost of a new screen) be worth a lot more than $500 especially near home where the buyer could just pick it up.
    Good Luck

4. Darren Hunt

Darren Hunt Agent

Hey Ryan,
    I have a 56" widescreen Toshiba and scratched my screen a year ago. Before purchasing a replacment screen, I looked around and a bunch of people were saying how wonderful the diffusion screens were. I looked into it, bought one, and now have the ugliest ghosting problem you could ever see. DO NOT buy a diffusion screen to replace your screen. At the time, I checked with Toshiba and they said I could get a factory replacement screen for my 56" for about $300 US. I figure you would be able to get a better deal as you have a smaller screen. Did you break the linticular screen and the fresnel screen, or just one of the above? Hopefully you did the linticular screen as that is the one that is cheap. From my understanding, the fresnel screen costs much more.
    Good luck!
    Darren