I'm amazed at the difference...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Harnish, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

...that 12 gauge speaker wire makes. The sound on my audio system is so much better after replacing the flimsy wiring that came with the HTB-504. Of course, I bought the 12g wire along with my system but hadn't had time to upgrade to it until last night. Aaahh, the joys and tribulations of upgraditis. [​IMG]

2. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

This seems to be the first thing we do when purchasing the 504.I did not even try the wire it came with.All the reviews on this prod. concur.When you decide to upgrade sub or add a seconed it will make a huge difference to.Glad it made such a difference for you.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Brian: I love that you wired up with one wire, then switched to notice the difference. Do you know how thick the included wire was?

The reason I ask is that several speaker sites recommend this thickness based on run-length:

1-10 feet: 16 ga

11-20 feet: 14 ga

20+ feet: 12 ga

the 504 system I hooked up had run lengths of under 10 feet for all 3 front speakers so thin/thick should not have made all that much difference. Do you have long run lengths or is the included wire really compromised?

(The system I hooked up was for a friend and he already had good 12 ga in place thanks to my eariler work so I never even saw the included wire.)

4. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Brian,

Did you recalibrate your system after switching wire?

I'm wondering if you had enough resistence in the runs of wire you had before that the beefier 12gauge simply is allowing the power flow a bit more freely (read, louder).

I had to do some long runs of very whimpy 20 gauge wire once and lost 6dB. This makes a tremendous audible difference if the system is not recalibrated of course.

I certainly would keep the heavy wire, but wanted to throw out one reason why you might be hearing some pretty significant change. It's louder at the same setting it was before.

Ron

5. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

I'm not going to dispute SVS-Ron, as anyone in that sort of work obviously knows his stuff, but I will add my own experience.

I know that subjective experiences don't hold much weight but when I first got into my stereo I listened to it for hours and hours a day. I had really thin wire. Then my buddy gave me some 12 ga monster. I noticed a huge difference. Not just louder, but deeper bass (which from 2 5 1/4 woofs isn't much) and generally clearer. I switched back a few times just to see. Other people, who i did not tell, noticed it too.

I'm not saying every wire upgrade will produce similar results, but its not a far fetched claim that going from very thin cheap wire to a better quality thicker cable will drastically change the overall output.