1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm amazed at how many bass freaks are out there

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tim Stumpf, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Tim Stumpf

Tim Stumpf Stunt Coordinator

I've become a regular reader of these forums. It never ceases to amaze me how much of the discussion revolves around subwoofers. Think about it. Bass is only the .1 of 5.1 (almost seems like an afterthought for whoever came up with the 5.1 naming convention) For these forums, we should just change it to 1.5 or something, lol. Who can tell me why people are so passionate about their subwoofers? I only have a dayton tiny mighty and it added much to the experience. I have yet to hear an SVS or other really high end sub for myself. Maybe then the light bulb would go on??

2. Paul_J_D

Paul_J_D Auditioning

I started off with a Polk Audio PSW-350 subwoofer. Then I bought a Hsu STF-2. Last month I purchased a SVS PB1+. I still own all three subs and use them in their dedicated systems. With each upgrade, the "lightbulb" you mention illuminated brighter and brighter.

I guess the obsession with bass is that for the most part most full range speakers cannot produce the really true deep bass. When you get a sub like a Hsu or a SVS and experience this sub 30 Hz bass for the first time you realize what you have been missing.

I feel like a kid again with my SVS sub.

Paul

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Yeah Tim

A good sub can be the single biggest upgrade for a system. As far as why people like bass, IMHO the bass is the solid foundation for everything else. It also can be physically felt as well as heard. And with the proliferation of DVDs and digitally remastered CDs there is a lot of bass out there.

One poster has done some amazing waterfall charts showing bass as low as 5Hz. If you search waterfall you may be able to find it. Knowing this, people are wanting subs that go deeper and play louder.

One last thing. People like Tom Vodhanel and Ron Stimpson have demonstrated that ordinary subs will compress the deepest, loudest bass and this has resulted in a lot of interest in the heavyweights. My sub will only do 106 db at 25Hz with 10% distortion. It will also do 105.9db average from 25Hz to 50Hz.

This isn't too bad for a moderate priced sub, but is not in the same league as something like Dual HSU 1220's with their 500 watt amp. A combination like that should be able to put out about 107 db at 12.5 Hz on a short term basis.

Finally, there are so many good choices like SVS and HSU that a lot more people are upgrading without spending $3,500, or even half that. You can now buy a fine sub for $700 or less.

Artie

4. Tim Stumpf

Let me ask you this. When you go to a movie theatre, are you likely to experience the kind of bass you would with a really good sub in someone's home? I know each theatre is different, but I can't ever remember walking out after a movie thinking "wow that movie really had a great low frequency track." I need to find someone in my town that has an SVS or similar sub.!!! I've been to rock concerts that have made me feel almost physically sick, a feeling like you're getting punched in the stomach, so maybe I do know the feeling of really good bass, just not in an HT context.

5. Craig Chase

Craig Chase Gear Guru
    Supporter

Craig
    No Movie theater has ever even made me think "that was ok" for sound... Order either the Hsu VTF-3 mark II or a SVS 25-31 pc plus... you won't leave home again !

6. Tim Stumpf

Unfortunetly, I live in an apartment right now and I'm sure I'm already annoying the neighbors with my little dayton sub. Can't imagine running something more here. I've been thinking about buying a house, so now I have another reason to do something about it. Of course, I better just buy the SVS first because I probably would not be able to afford it after biting the bullet on the mortgage.

7. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Tim, I've never heard an SVS either. However, I've hear plenty of "mid-range" subs. As far as mid-range is concerned in my view, it would be the $1,000 - $2,500 range. There have been some good ones out there - and some not-so-good ones. Some that I've heard, I was quite happy to get home and hook up my $50.00 subwoofer (home built) that would give some a run for their money.

While I've always felt that I deserved to get an SVS, my desire to build my own has always out-weighed my choice. No offense to SVS in any way - I just love building things, so as long as I'm able to cut my own MDF, I'll keep building my cabinets.

Finally, I use my subs for both theater and music listening. Last evening, I put in Eric Clapton: Unplugged on CD. It's been about 4 years since I last heard that CD. I had my H/K receiver configured for stereo output, and was also driving my sub, too. I heard bass sections on that CD that I don't recall hearing back about 8 years ago when I got that CD in the first place. Even during my listening, I had the volume level at a very reasonable point - not anywhere near reference levels. However, it was good to sit in the chair and just chill out to some good tunes - with a little detailed bass to boot. [​IMG]

8. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

just buy the most expensive svs sub you can, with the intent on returning it, just to see what all the fuss is about. i'd put money down on it that you won't return it.

eric

9. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

I've got the Dayton 10" sub as well. Although it's in the dormer of my relatively small room (10'x12') I have yet to visit a movie theater that produces superior bass, ie. Showcase Cinemas and AMC (with the exception of the Omnimax theater here in Cincinnati). It's all relative though.

10. Kinson_Y

Kinson_Y Auditioning

Well, FWIW, I actually do remember watching "Die Another Day" at the local Metreon and thinking just that when I walked out. (BTW, don't take this as my saying the movie itself was all that great) [​IMG]

11. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

i'm currently working a second job at a movie theater to pay for college classes i dropped and to support my home theater hobby, and this theater can pound. it uses 3 subwoofers, each JBL dual 18", plus the 3 front channels each use dual 12". during LOTR, everything was shaking. and most recently, (this is a military theater that gets movies almost for free, so movies have usually been out for a month or two before we get them) a crappy movie had some great kick in the chest bass, Chasing Liberty. also, the theater can only house 400, so it's not too big. when the movie is over and i put in some blue man group, the walls flex.

eric

12. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Eric,

I would believe that most newer theaters are equipped with some pretty nice gear to start with. However, they quickly lose their calibration from operators not knowing what they are doing along with viewers who make requests to have the sound "turned down."

I've also shared the same thought as some of the others here that the sound in theaters leaves a bit to be desired. However, I did encounter an exception. Just last week, I was out at a newer Hoyts/Regal theater to see 50 First Dates. Some of the previews leading up to the movie demonstrated the sound capabilities of the particular theater that I was in. I was quite impressed with the sound. With that being said, there are about 25 other movies that I saw in the past from various theaters where the sound was not impressive at all - just mediocre at best.

13. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Well you would think with the equipment they put into movie theaters they would be awsome. 3 18's? Even bigger subs too like in the 20's. LOL. But since they are soooo big its hard to make it feel the same. Take the best home theater you have ever heard and put it in a movie theater set it up properly and tune it. I doubt it will sound good.

14. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Tim,

Stumpf? Wow, my g-g-g grandmother was a Stumpf! [​IMG]

Tim, I think you answered your own question there. [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

15. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

I think the main thing about the "SVS" or "HSU" experience is that when you first hear it, you might not even think that it's working properly since the bass sound coming from it is so different from that of a consumer box sub. It will be more subtle and less boomy. It's definitely hard to describe but once you've heard it, you'll know what I'm talking about. [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I couldn't have said it better myself. The bass from an SVS is SOOOOOOOO different than anything you have ever heard before. I remember when I first got my 16-46, I felt something was wrong. I couldn't really hear the bass, like I did with my boomy 12" sub. All of a sudden, while watching a movie, you could FEEL the sub working. You could feel the room being pressurized. And yet, the sub NEVER calls attention to itself, which is probably the biggest compliment a sub could receive. It blends in perfectly with the other speakers, and it fills in the lower frequencies with perfection.