What's new

I'm addicted to Original Sound Track. (1 Viewer)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Ever since I discovered that Halloween had it's original mono track (I've had the disc since the day it was released, but didn't even know it was there. After hearing that terrible 5.1 remix which constantly messes up, I decided to listen to the original mono track) I listened to it, and I was completely blown away. No mistakes, and even though it's mono, I would much rather have a perfect mono mix instead of a sloppy 5.1 remix.

So, I went on a rampage, and started putting in my older DVDs and listened to them in their original soundtrack. I can honestly say that I'm completely addicted! I used to automatically select 5.1 because it would use all my speakers, but NOT ANYMORE! I can't stand a "re-mix" of an older film. I now only choose the original soundtrack!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Or apparently The Breakfast Club- the new release has Dolby AND DTS 5.1 mixes??? This movie would've been released in stereo originally if they had wanted to, but it was put out in mono. Guess I'll have to sync up my VHS copy for the sound if I buy the new DVD.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I've heard lots of complaints about the Jaws DTS DVD. I have never seen the movie, and frankly, I don't want too. Not my type of movie at all, but I feel really bad for those fans out there that can't enjoy the original track.

Breakfast Club: I didn't know it wouldn't contain the original mono mix.

I can't wait to listen to my Nightmare On Elm Street Boxed set with their original mono/stereo tracks. I've been listening to them in 5.1 ever since I got them, but now that I'm totally addicted to the original tracks, I'm never going back to those remixes.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
There are plenty of great remixes out there...but the original sound should be a staple.

I found the 5.1 remixes for Some Like It Hot and Gone With The Wind to be very mediocre. The mono tracks are much more enjoyable. (for the latter, it's less compressed)

However, most remixes end up being very faithful to the original sound design such as North By Northwest, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, and Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.

It's not that big of a deal to include both.

BobG

Stunt Coordinator
I like the 5.1 track for The Terminator better than the mono track. The only exception being the gunshots sounds during the scene when he kills the first sarah connor and ginger; those sound better in mono.

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
I am a audiophile I get my soundtracks from Silva Screen featuring the worlds greatest syphonies re-recording with authenic period instruments, coming out as Dolby Surround

I burn my own selection that I want hear and the dolby decoders to allow the 'haas' effect to bloom. Great music from great writers to great symphonies to my audiophile ears.

The music 'I' hear is light years ahead of your monaural or 5.1 mixes!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Except that many (not all, but many) of the Silva Screen soundtrack CD re-recordings feature sub-standard performances and non-authentic orchestration. They are a decent alternative to the original soundtrack (if unavailable) but are in no way preferable. Your ears may vary, however. :)

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
Sometimes I like the remixed tracks, but I always prefer that the original track is at least an available option.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor

I would give anything for the orginal soundtrack. On a side note (since it is my favorite movie of all time), you should give Jaws a chance just once. The widescreen DVD is what truly made me fall in love with the film. Just try it out.

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, not a mono fan, never liked it. The mono track on the JAWS laserdisc was actually very good, but I much prefer the DTS version.

I didn't buy a $2,000 receiver with Surround EX for nothin'! :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You bought it to play back your film soundtracks accurately. And if the original track was mono, that's the deal. Remember, most films made prior to the 1960s had monophonic soundtracks.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I'm with Jack here... saying you bought the big receiver to use all the channels is like saying you bought a big screen TV, so you want to use all of it, the MAR argument.

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
...worlds greatest syphonies re-recording...
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree here. I feel the City of Prague Philharmonic is hardly the greatest orchestra on the planet. They do alright with some John Barry stuff, but they've butchered a whole lot of other music as well. John Timperley's engineering makes their little Smecky Studios sound pretty good, and I've always thought that Silva's CDs sound better in stereo over Prologic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks